2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how soon on plug change

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:15 AM
one5150fisher
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how soon on plug change

how much do the plugs wear? I just don't know if I want to take the chance on a plug change at 54,000 miles then have to pay for the broken one, or just keep them in the truck until 100,000 and hope that ford figures out how to get them out. I wonder even at 100,000 how much wear is on the plugs. Its just a costly plug change and a chance for some large problems. What type of plugs are the factory plugs, double platinum?

Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 AM
jkhobson
Junior User
a plug change at 54000 will be a lot cheaper and easier than at 100k. plug wear is not the issue with these engines. special kind of plug, yes platinum, but unlike anything you've ever seen. check out the "plug warning" thread. lots of good info there.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:13 AM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Just run them until you start having a problem then trade it in, I would not mess with them!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Beefford
Senior User
Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman
Just run them until you start having a problem then trade it in, I would not mess with them!!!
That might be the worst advice I have ever read on this forum.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:42 PM
RickyRocket
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Beefford
Well maybe not the worst advice. No one has complained that the plugs won't last until 100K (or longer), they've only complained that they are hard to get out at that point (or even sooner).

If you plan to keep the truck beyond 100K, then yes, I would bite the bullet and change them now. If you plan to sell it around 100K-120K, I would just leave them and never change them. Why not ?

Old 02-05-2007, 01:15 PM
skybox
Freshman User
If you have ford change your plugs or someone else, if they break a plug off, is that not something that they will pay for?, I would assume that they price quote you before the service and if they break a plug, then they have to fix it for the price quoted, changing plugs is a standard service... its like changing tires, if someone buys new tires and the shop strips one of your lug nuts, they dont charge you to replace a lug nut they stripped? Atleast no has tried that with me.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:16 PM
jkhobson
Junior User
I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't second that.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
RickyRocket
Freshman User
Originally Posted by skybox
If you have ford change your plugs or someone else, if they break a plug off, is that not something that they will pay for?, I would assume that they price quote you before the service and if they break a plug, then they have to fix it for the price quoted
No, that's the big problem here. If a plug breaks and the head has to be removed to retrieve the plug, the dealer won't pay for it since they say it's a "part" problem. They expect the consumer to pay for it. Even most warranties won't cover it (according to many on this forum).

Old 02-05-2007, 05:15 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Rick: You are exactly correct, and here is what I was advised to do by ford, I do have the extended warranty but was advised to leave them alone unless I had a plug related problem then ford would cover any and all repairs but if I had them changed just because I thought it was a good idea and even if a ford shop were to ruin a head it was my cost I know this is BS but that is fords position so I know my advice was the worst in the world but it is the cust. money????

Old 02-06-2007, 08:36 AM
skybox
Freshman User
I know that I am going in circles and that the other thread brought this up to some extent, but if it is a parts problem, and it is a part factory installed that is changed as part of scheduled maintenance, then I still dont see the out for them. I would be curious to know what percentage of vehicles actually has this problem, 5-10%. It could not possibly be any more than that because there have to be a lot of 04 fleet vehicles that are getting close to 100K miles right now, and they would fill up all of the shops if this was a 50% or higher issue. While it is not acceptable at any percentage, I am wondering how often it occurs in reality.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:09 AM
jkhobson
Junior User
Originally Posted by skybox
I know that I am going in circles and that the other thread brought this up to some extent, but if it is a parts problem, and it is a part factory installed that is changed as part of scheduled maintenance, then I still dont see the out for them. I would be curious to know what percentage of vehicles actually has this problem, 5-10%. It could not possibly be any more than that because there have to be a lot of 04 fleet vehicles that are getting close to 100K miles right now, and they would fill up all of the shops if this was a 50% or higher issue. While it is not acceptable at any percentage, I am wondering how often it occurs in reality.
if I understand correctly, all 04's are effected. all plugs are gonna be hard to remove especially at that interval, mine were scary @72k. most of the plug breakage was in the beginning before FoMoCo knew of the problem. now the service tech's are aware and can perform the surgury as per TSB procedure therefore resulting in minimal,if not no, plug'age break'age. and I personally expect to see a lot of fleet vehicles enter the shop soon for the 100k mile service, better to lay the burden on the dealer than chance a $3000 screw up yourself.

on a different note, if your vehicle enters the shop for routine maintenance and damage occurs NOT as a result of your neglegence, the service department is liable for ALL repairs as a result. Ford service tech's are in fact the "professionals" and should know how to service/repair their own product without damage. JMO

Last edited by jkhobson; 02-06-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:37 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
JK: I completely agree with your last paragraph but I have been told in reality that is not the case and ford has flatly told customers to just take us to court we are not paying for head replacement no matter who damages it. Having said that I fully expect ford to be facing a class action law suit when people start having this problem???IMO

Old 02-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Beefford
Senior User
JK: I completely agree with your last paragraph but I have been told in reality that is not the case and ford has flatly told customers to just take us to court we are not paying for head replacement no matter who damages it. Having said that I fully expect ford to be facing a class action law suit when people start having this problem???IMO
I believe that you may have been told that by some dealership, but there is no way Ford Execs' would direct their dealers to say that. Lets face it, Ford is truely on the bubble of bankruptcy (as is GM) so why would you stick a dagger in you own back. I am going to the dealership within the next couple of weeks to get the plugs changed on my 04 FX4 with 44k. I will tell them I know of the issue and probably take a copy of the TSB. I will post results.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:32 PM
snowbank
New User
I just got mine replaced at 59000 Km with no problems and I did ask my dealer if they would warranty any plugs that do break off and they said yes. I have no prblems with my dealer, they seem to treat me well and answer any questions or concerns that I have with my vehicle.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:38 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
I believe that you may have been told that by some dealership, but there is no way Ford Execs' would direct their dealers to say that. Lets face it, Ford is truely on the bubble of bankruptcy (as is GM) so why would you stick a dagger in you own back. I am going to the dealership within the next couple of weeks to get the plugs changed on my 04 FX4 with 44k. I will tell them I know of the issue and probably take a copy of the TSB. I will post results.
Please do let us know what they say and ask them before hand who pays if they break a plug and can't get it out would be very interested as I am also getting close.

Quick Reply: how soon on plug change