MP3 Player and Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 03:28 PM
schmity
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3 Player and Sirius

I have an 02 F350 with a stock single CD, Cassette, AM FM stero. I want to add a Sirius Satellite Radio and an MP3 player. Questions:

1. I have a couple of compactflash cards. Can I get an aftermarket system with a USB port and play MP3's off of my compactflash cards.

2. What are the pro's/con's between the factory system and a system that is "satellite ready"

Old 02-03-2007, 04:23 PM
cln2po
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are several options you might look into.
First you need to decide if you want to replace your factory system.
Pros?
Yes there are aftermarket units with USB ports - as well as several with direct ports for compact memory cards.
An aftermarket unit that is 'SAT ready' will offer direct connection - no need for an FM Modulator - but requires the purchase of a direct connect SAT radio tuner.
An aftermarket unit will control the SAT radio and display all artist/track info on screen.
Aftermarket units may also have an AUX input that allows you to connect other peripherals - like MP3 player, DVD player etc.
Some are even BlueTooth enabled for other devices like cell phones etc.

Cons?
You loose the 'stock' appearance of the radio
If you choose a 'SAT ready' unit with a direct connect tuner you are limited to vehicle use only - not portable.
May cost more than stand alone portable unit(s)

I like the portable units like the new stiletto from Sirius. http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...7&oldParentID=

The pros are kind of obvious:
Portable - car(s), home, excercise, boat etc.
Can be used in multiple vehicles (with or without the optional car kits)
Doubles as MP3 player and can record Sirius programming (in the case of the Stiletto)

Cons?
Requires the use of an FM modulator to broadcast over your factory radio - which degrades an already poor sounding(IMO), extremely compressed, signal. Unless of course you have an AUX input for direct audio connection.
Without the optional car kits most portables require a car antenna for use in the vehicle. Although some have built in antennas they dont often perform well in-car.

Another route? Shop for an aftermarket in-dash unit with a front panel AUX input, and media card reader/USB and go for a portable SAT unit. Use the AUX input for direct audio connection of any portable SAT radio/portable MP3. Most of the aftermarket CD units will also play WMA and MP3's.