2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New truck with wind noise issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:33 PM
dascro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck with wind noise issue

I recently purchased my first new vehicle a 2006 f150. I've had it for about a week and noticed a pulsing noise that seems to be coming from the corner of the windsheild on the passenger side. It seems to be most noticable above 25 mph. It also seems to be more noticeable when the truck is warm than when it is first started and still cold.

I took it to the dealer and they confirmed that it was an airleak around the windsheild and I should bring it back in when their "wind expert" who is in every thursday is in next. Has anyone else had this happen? I am concerned taht they won't be able to properly fix it and I'll be stuck with a $29k truck that isn't working perfectly.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try doing search on wind noise. There have been many threads about this problem.

Don't be surprised if the wind expert doesn't fix it. Some times the noise comes from the wind going thru the engine compartment and exiting from the back of the hood. Adding additional seal material were the back of the hood meets the seal will help.

Also, check your wipers. One of mine had a bent arm had was causing some of the noise.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:39 AM
dascro
Senior User
So if they say they can't find it or fix it I am stuck? That just doesn't seem right. is there anything I can do to make sure they fix this problem?

Old 02-02-2007, 08:59 AM
phatpony
Senior User
Take some masking tape, and apply to the edges of the windshield on the outside. All the way around. Go for a spin. If the noise goes away, the problem is the windshield. If not, you got another issue. You can start removing pieces of tape to isolate where on the windshield it is coming from. They only fix is to remove the windshield and reseal it. I think this is a pretty common problem.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:59 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Let them do their fix. When you pick it up, drive it to see if it is fixed. If not, take it back to the dealer immediately! Don't wait.

Tell them it's still doing it and to check the seal at the back of the hood.

I fixed my problem by installed an OEM bug shield. It changed the air flow over the hood. Which changed the pressure differential between the inside and outside of the back of the hood. Not only that, I like the way it looks. I was going to get one anyway. It killed 2 birds with one stone. I wanted one and it stopped the wind noise. I never did anything with the hood seal. No need to now.

But, like I said, make sure the back of the hood seals correctly to the gasket.

If you want to do the tape deal, get the blue painters tape and start with the back of the hood. Easier to reach than the windshield. If it noise is less or goes away, you know where the problems. If not try the windshield.

Again, DO A SEARCH IN THIS FORUM. That way you can read all info on this type of problem. It's better to have as much info as possible when you go to the dealer.

Last edited by wildcard30; 02-02-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:18 AM
dascro
Senior User
I have done a search and everyone seems to say it is a wind swirling sound but mine is a tapping or pulsing sound. however everyone describes things differently and it is probably the same issue. I will listen for it when I pick it up and if its not fixed I will turn around and take it back.

I saw from your post that a bugshield fixed the problem. If they do not manage to fix it after several attempts would it be unreasonable to ask for a ford bugshiled to be purchased and installed at no cost to me?

Old 02-02-2007, 09:37 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
I don't think they will pay for it. But, If they can hear the noise but can not fix it, you could always ask. If they say no, you could tell them you'll pay for it, but if it fixes the problem, they give you back the money paid.

That's kinda a long shot. I would only try it as a last resort.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:59 AM
dascro
Senior User
That was what I was planning on using it for; a last resort. I am hoping that this "expert" can fix it without any input from me. But i just want to have a plan of action in case of the worst. This is the first time I've ever had a vehicle with a warrenty and I'm just trying to learn what I should expect.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:41 AM
dascro
Senior User
Well here's an update if anyone cares. They found that it wasn't just a wind leak. Water was also running down the side and being trapped under the trim. It was a leak in the lowest passenger side corner of the front windshield.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:10 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
I noticed the same thing on my sister's truck the other night. Thanks for the update.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:25 PM
dascro
Senior User
Well I posted too soon. I gues i should have waited until after I picked it up

When I picked it up I noticed it was still making the noise and went right back. They did took it for a while longer and eventuly called ford. The offical answer from ford was that since it could not be heard with the radio set on volume 3 it is "normal engine noise". I smell some BS. The radio test does not make any sense to me as an engineer. Since when did hearing something over a radio become a scientific test of noise. There are too many variables. Strong signal (louder radio) or weak signal(quieter) that is just one i can think of.
I will be taking it to a different dealer next week.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:54 PM
dascro
Senior User
The more I think about this the more angry I get. I struggled for months with the decision of if I can afford a new vehicle. It decided on ford because I felt they were the best pick-up made today. I based that on my test drives and the great experiences my dad and uncles have had with ford trucks on the farm. I planned on keeping this truck for many years and now with 600 miles on it I already have an annoying problem. Furthermore this is not engine noise. It is wind noise. It does not change at all with engine speed or load.

Is there any way I can directly call ford and talk about this?

Old 02-09-2007, 02:58 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Not sure, maybe a bug shield for the hood would help? I took mine off my '99 to get it painted and noticed an increase. Put it back on and it's better. Let us know when and if you find anything.

You might look in to Wildcard's post (#2) about the seal.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:28 PM
03redstx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the same issue..bug shield didnt help

Old 02-14-2007, 06:20 PM
mrwindy
New User
Wind noise

I have a 07 supercrew with a bad wind noise.The service write up guy and service manager both drove it and agree with me. Have talked directly to Ford and per them there is no problem. How can you boost the quietest truck on the road when it sounds like the windows are down. Going back to dealer again to try to get some relief. Sounds like winshield or door seals i dont feel i should have to find the problem for them isnt that what the big money is for??

Quick Reply: New truck with wind noise issue