Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Hub Driveaxle/Nut

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:56 PM
jerrym
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hub Driveaxle/Nut

The Haynes Repair Manual says Warning: Discard the wheel hub nut and washer assembly and replace it with a new one, this nut is designed for a single torque sequence and cannot be re-used. Does any one know the part number for this nut and where else you might get one other than a Ford dealer? I have never heard of being able to use a nut one time.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:16 AM
kevin74656
Senior User
Originally Posted by jerrym
The Haynes Repair Manual says Warning: Discard the wheel hub nut and washer assembly and replace it with a new one, this nut is designed for a single torque sequence and cannot be re-used. Does any one know the part number for this nut and where else you might get one other than a Ford dealer? I have never heard of being able to use a nut one time.
The manual is correct. The nut costs $15, and the Ford part number is N808985-S100. As far as I know, you can only get it from Ford, but NAPA may have it.

It's a locknut, and the way it locks is why you shouldn't re-use it. The threads deform when you torque it down, and this deformation "locks" the nut (holds torque). The threads deform once again when you remove the nut. This weakens the threads and reduces their ability to hold torque - not good when that's the thing holding your wheel on!

See this thread for more:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...-r-and-r.html?

Be safe!

Last edited by kevin74656; 02-01-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:55 AM
jerrym
New User
Wheel Hub Nut

This is real interesting, I am in the Omaha, NE area about fifty miles out. The Haynes Repair Manual says Warning: Discard the wheel hub nut and washer assembly and replace it with a new one, this nut is designed for a single torque sequence and cannot be re-used. I have called three Ford dealerships in the Omaha area. The part number N808985-S100 is correct. None of the dealers have in stock theses nuts. I have called three auto parts stores none of them have the nuts. Two of the Ford places told me they reuse the nuts by using the heavy type thread locker. The one Ford dealer's parts department checked and said there were no nuts at any Ford dealer in the Omaha area so they must all be reusing the nuts.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 PM
kevin74656
Senior User
Originally Posted by jerrym
This is real interesting, I am in the Omaha, NE area about fifty miles out. The Haynes Repair Manual says Warning: Discard the wheel hub nut and washer assembly and replace it with a new one, this nut is designed for a single torque sequence and cannot be re-used. I have called three Ford dealerships in the Omaha area. The part number N808985-S100 is correct. None of the dealers have in stock theses nuts. I have called three auto parts stores none of them have the nuts. Two of the Ford places told me they reuse the nuts by using the heavy type thread locker. The one Ford dealer's parts department checked and said there were no nuts at any Ford dealer in the Omaha area so they must all be reusing the nuts.
The nuts can be purchased online, from www.discountfordpartsaty2kford.com and other retailers. BTW, the Haynes manual took that warning verbatim from the Ford factory manual.

Many people do reuse them, and probably 99.9999% have no trouble whatsoever. But I'm surprised that a Ford dealer would do so, for no other reason than liability. In the event of a wheel separation following a hub & bearing or axle replacement - for any reason - that's all the ammunition a personal injury lawyer would need to nail the dealer's @$$ to the wall. And since the dealer charges the customer for the part, it costs them nothing - so why not replace it?

You'll probably be just fine if you reuse the nut - I'm not saying that your wheel will fall off if you don't. Personally, I don't like taking unnecessary risks, so I bought the nuts when I replaced both h&b assemblies on my Ex.

Safety first!

Last edited by kevin74656; 02-01-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 AM
jerrym
New User
Hub Nuts

Originally Posted by kevin74656
The nuts can be purchased online, from www.discountfordpartsaty2kford.com and other retailers. BTW, the Haynes manual took that warning verbatim from the Ford factory manual.

Many people do reuse them, and probably 99.9999% have no trouble whatsoever. But I'm surprised that a Ford dealer would do so, for no other reason than liability. In the event of a wheel separation following a hub & bearing or axle replacement - for any reason - that's all the ammunition a personal injury lawyer would need to nail the dealer's @$$ to the wall. And since the dealer charges the customer for the part, it costs them nothing - so why not replace it?

You'll probably be just fine if you reuse the nut - I'm not saying that your wheel will fall off if you don't. Personally, I don't like taking unnecessary risks, so I bought the nuts when I replaced both h&b assemblies on my Ex.

Safety first!
Thanks alot for the web site. I found the nuts and the price was about one half the cost. $26.98 for the two nuts with shipping. I just ordered them. I am like you for that money I am not going to chance a wheel coming loose. Yhanks again.

Jerry