Mounting tweeters in door "sails"

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:14 AM
isubsmith
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting tweeters in door "sails"

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a pair of Boston Acoustics Pro50s. However, I am not sure where I will mount the tweeter.

I have some plastic surrounds that let you mount the 5 1/4" speaker plus tweeter right above it in the 6x8 openings, but I'd rather mount the tweeter closer to ear level.

One common place to do that seems to be the A pillars, but I'd rather not do that since 1) it seems to be pretty challenging to find passenger side A pillers with pod holes and 2) I'd like to keep my "Oh *@&%#" handles, especially since I use the drivers side one to get in and out (and most of the A piller replacements with pods don't seem to leave room for the handles)

So, I was thinking I could mount the tweeters in the little removable plastic "sails" that cover the mirror mounting tabs.

Has anyone ever done that? I think there is enough depth behind the "sails", but not sure.

I'd also like to order some replacement "sails" before I start this project so
when I screw up I'm not in trouble...

However, I can't seem to find the parts at any of the parts stores. The driver side part number appears to be 3034-17D299-AB, but no one seems to have it... (I haven't looked for the passenger side one since I can't find the drivers side)

This is for an '06 F250 Crewcab with the telescoping trailer mirrors.

Thanks.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:46 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
You may want to check with one of the FTE sponsors to see if they can locate that item.
http://www.discountfordpartsaty2kford.com/

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214290

btw...a direct e-mail into those guys will usually result in a quicker/accurate find.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Square Grouper
Senior User
I just finished my install on my '06 F-250 and was thinking about the sail panels but decided against it since they are rounded and the tweeter would not have sat flush. Had the same issue with the A-pillars. I ended up mounting them in the door slightly above and to the rear of the factory speaker grill and I really like them there. I can't imagine having them at ear level, I would be deaf. I guess it depends on the tweeter though. I had some kenwood tweeters a while back in an old fors and mounted them in the upper corners of the windshield on the A-pillar and they worked fine there. The Polk Audio ones I just installed would make your ears bleed if they were mounted any higher than I mounted them in the door.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:51 PM
isubsmith
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99Trigger3_0
You may want to check with one of the FTE sponsors to see if they can locate that item.
http://www.discountfordpartsaty2kford.com/

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214290

btw...a direct e-mail into those guys will usually result in a quicker/accurate find.
I emailed my local dealer, they are usually ok. But if they don't come through soon, I'll email one of the FTE sponsors... I normally buy parts from them but couldn't find the sails....

Old 01-29-2007, 12:56 PM
isubsmith
Senior User
Originally Posted by Square Grouper
I just finished my install on my '06 F-250 and was thinking about the sail panels but decided against it since they are rounded and the tweeter would not have sat flush. Had the same issue with the A-pillars. I ended up mounting them in the door slightly above and to the rear of the factory speaker grill and I really like them there. I can't imagine having them at ear level, I would be deaf. I guess it depends on the tweeter though. I had some kenwood tweeters a while back in an old fors and mounted them in the upper corners of the windshield on the A-pillar and they worked fine there. The Polk Audio ones I just installed would make your ears bleed if they were mounted any higher than I mounted them in the door.
Yeah, I was going to make a small mounting ring out of MDF (probably) and do a little fiberglassing around that. The fiberglass should take care of the weird rounded part of the sails. I was hoping to get another pair of sails so when I find out that is more difficult than it sounds, I'm not in trouble

I've listened to the BA tweeters at ear level but they were right next to the mids. They were pretty good there. But yeah, I know what you mean... Tweeters can certainly sound unpleasant....

It sounds like you modified the door panel? I was hoping to avoid that....

Thanks.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Square Grouper
Senior User
I just surface mounted on the door panel, going to flush mount them next weekend when I have the time. I think there is just enough room. Here's some pics:

Adding a couple bass tubes behind the seat next weekend.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:55 PM
isubsmith
Senior User
Originally Posted by Square Grouper
I just surface mounted on the door panel, going to flush mount them next weekend when I have the time. I think there is just enough room. Here's some pics:

Adding a couple bass tubes behind the seat next weekend.
Ok, I see....

But yeah, you had to drill holes for those, right? I was hoping to not modify the interior door panels at all.

It looks pretty nice though.

As for the bass - I'm leaning towards a sub box from supercrewsound.com... They have an under-the-seat option and a couple behind-the-seat options all of which look pretty nice...

BTW, Which head unit is that?

Thanks.

Last edited by isubsmith; 01-29-2007 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Square Grouper
Senior User
It's a Clarion MAX675VD head unit. And yes, had to drill holes for the tweeters, going to drill a bigger one to flush mount em this weekend. I had no fears of drilling a hole in the panels, as this truck will be around for a long long time, I'll probably just relegate it to the guys that work for me once I get a new one, but that will be a while. And they will finish it off for sure they way they treat things.

I looked into the sub boxes for under the rear seats, but I have the fold down cargo tray which is a must for me, so that was not an option. Didn't want the amp (it actually would not fit) and nav unit under the seat either, so I mounted them where I did, which limits me to bass tubes behind the seat. I'm not out for competition, but I like to listen to a wide variety of music, so having all the components is a must.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:38 AM
isubsmith
Senior User
Thanks for the information.... I'm considering selling the truck in a year or so (once a few more people have played with the 6.4l PSDs) so I wanted to keep everything as stock as possible so I can undo things and so I can move stuff to the new truck...

Old 01-30-2007, 08:47 AM
EARLYTIMES
Junior User
Not that I have separates now (curerent speakers are Boston SL-80's) but I used to install the tweets in the doors too. Went and color matched the interior plastic color and went to Lowes/Home Depot for one of their do-it yourself spray paint cans, oput in the matched color and sprayed the tweets to match the doors. Just a thought instead of having black tweets hanging out there.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 PM
mlytle
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by isubsmith
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a pair of Boston Acoustics Pro50s. However, I am not sure where I will mount the tweeter.

I have some plastic surrounds that let you mount the 5 1/4" speaker plus tweeter right above it in the 6x8 openings, but I'd rather mount the tweeter closer to ear level.

One common place to do that seems to be the A pillars, but I'd rather not do that since 1) it seems to be pretty challenging to find passenger side A pillers with pod holes and 2) I'd like to keep my "Oh *@&%#" handles, especially since I use the drivers side one to get in and out (and most of the A piller replacements with pods don't seem to leave room for the handles)

So, I was thinking I could mount the tweeters in the little removable plastic "sails" that cover the mirror mounting tabs.

Has anyone ever done that? I think there is enough depth behind the "sails", but not sure.

I'd also like to order some replacement "sails" before I start this project so
when I screw up I'm not in trouble...

However, I can't seem to find the parts at any of the parts stores. The driver side part number appears to be 3034-17D299-AB, but no one seems to have it... (I haven't looked for the passenger side one since I can't find the drivers side)

This is for an '06 F250 Crewcab with the telescoping trailer mirrors.

Thanks.
i mounted my infinity tweeters to the sail panels in my 04 f250. work/sounds great. easy to do.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:08 AM
isubsmith
Senior User
Originally Posted by mlytle
i mounted my infinity tweeters to the sail panels in my 04 f250. work/sounds great. easy to do.
Excellent... Did you just drill a hole for them and stick them in? Or did you have to do much more work than that?

Can you take a picture of the install? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Square Grooper,
I assume you put Polk speakers in the doors also. If so, what size and were any moditications needed for them to fit?

Old 02-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Square Grouper
Senior User
Yes, I put the polk db5250 omponent setup in the front doors, no mods were needed. Mounted the crossovers inside the door panel as well, it was a tight fit, but it worked. Polk db570's in the back side panels behind the rear seat, and two 6" bazooka 200Amp powered bass tubes behind the rear seat. Powered the polks with a 4 ch Profile Amp. Had to remove the seat to get the tubes in there, then put the seat back, only took about 20 minutes. Those two 6" bazookas really do the trick in an F-250, one is plenty, but I always tend to overdue things.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:03 PM
cln2po
Senior User
Let me stir this up with a bit of a debate/rant.
Why did you all choose components vs. coaxial?
Is it because they sounded better in an A/B comparison?
Or because they are more expensive (and have to be better, right)?
Or you like the added installation challenge?

Components are best suited to installations where the tweeter can be installed as close to the woofer as allowed. By moving them away from the woofer the system is no longer 'seamless' - often causing that beeming/bright character - especially if they are mounted close to (or aiming at) glass surfaces. Its an oldschool (high school) thing if you ask me - it USED to be cool to have tweeters up in the pillars - cuz everyone knew you had expensive speakers. I know there are situations where moving the tweeter(or adding a second set) can help raise the soundstage - but more often than not it HURTS the sound quality.

Take SquareGrouper for example (not a personal attack ). What is the benefit to having a tweeter mounted 8" away from the woofer - on the outside of the door(and TO THE REAR!?!?!) You have succeeded in putting the driver/passengers legs even more in front of them. That tweeter could have easily been mounted with the woofer on a plate - and installed in the factory location. And a tip everyone can benefit from - hot glue some black speaker cloth behind the factory grill to hide the door speakers .

Many companies are offering a coaxial version of their 'hi-end' speakers - or they offer a co-axial mount for their seperate tweeters. A good set of coaxials installed in the factory location will sound better than any set of components installed poorly. And if you must have hi dollar components - mount them in the factory locations together - save headaches and holes!

Quick Reply: Mounting tweeters in door "sails"