1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

SuperCrew a piece of dookey?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 06:28 AM
poopey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the F-150 SuperCrew but I gather from this board that the quality of these trucks is poor,right?

Old 12-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Flash
Posting Guru

I have a 2002 with the 4.6, 3.55 axle and it's pretty much the basic truck. As you probably already know, they come loaded. It has all power, keyless entry, CD,etc. I'm happy with mine. It's been back to the dealer for it's first oil change at 500 miles otherwise, it hasn't been back.The only thing I wished were different is the rear axle ratio at 3.55 is a bit tall for the 4.6 if you plan to tow. Mine pulls my popup camper with no problem but it would struggle with a trailer over 3500lbs. A bud of mine just bought a Dodge Quad cab and it is incredibly noisy. I thought the back windows were down. He isn't getting any mileage yet cause he only has 1500 miles on it. The 4.6 has more power and torque published, but his has the tire and wheel package which means he has the 20" tires and a 3.90 axle ratio. I think when his is broke in my SC will out pull his. And no doubt I will get better mileage. I plan on having another SC in two years.

Old 12-26-2002, 12:11 AM
poopey
Senior User

cool flash

Old 12-26-2002, 07:56 AM
texan_eagle_scout
Senior User

I have fairly base level SCrew with my only options being the Capt Chairs and the 5.4L engine. So far I can say this truck has been great! It rides smooth, my mileage is surprisingly good (I expected a lot less than a 16.5mpg straight average). I have as much torque as my Dad's GM 6.0L and he hates it. My brother still gets defensive about Chebbies when we talk trucks. No matter how hard he tries, you just can't polish a turd... Quality sells, that is why GM has to combine the Chev and GMC numbers to claim they outsell Ford. And then it still isn't by very much. IMO.

My only real complaint is that the styling is getting a little old, because it has been virtually unchanged since I was a senior in High School. BUT, as you can see it really stopped me from buying one. I feel the styling still looks good even after this long, and I am anxiously awaiting the new bodystyle debuting in January.

Old 12-27-2002, 11:15 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-Dec-02 AT 12:15 PM (EST)]>I really like the F-150 SuperCrew but I gather from this
>board that the quality of these trucks is poor,right?

So, if you were to buy one, it would be a piece of "poopey-dookey," right?

Old 12-27-2002, 01:15 PM
Sawdust Junkie
New User

I have a 2003 5.4L, 4X4 SCrew with 3.73 rear-end with about 1200 miles on it.

I'm getting 10 - 11 MPG combined driving not towing. I got 15 MPG strictly highway driving with the cruise set to 70 (Interstate). I don't drive with a lead foot by any means. What's up? While I didn't buy the truck for mileage, I'm a little concerned because this is much less than I expected.

Old 12-27-2002, 04:37 PM
Flash
Posting Guru

Your gas mileage should slowly improve with additional miles on the odometer. Mine peaked out at around 12,000 miles. You might also try setting the cruise at 65 instead of 70 as most folks get an additional 2 MPG's going five miles an hour slower.

Old 12-27-2002, 05:09 PM
Lectrocuted
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd hate to say it Kev, but it ain't gonna get much better. The faster you push em, the more go juice they drink. I run between 70-75 on highway and get around 15 in my 99. Don't know if 3.55 gears would do anything except lug the engine. Guess I'll do the math for the heck of it.

Old 12-28-2002, 12:07 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Where do you live.

I got a high of 16 mpg in my 4.2 V6 5sp 4x4 3.55 and get about 11-13 in my 5.4 XC 4x4 Auto 3.73.

don't know what you were expecting, but 17mpg is excpetional in a truck like this. Also, speed kills mileage. I got 30 extra miles on a tank on a road trip that was 50mph. When I commute i do 70+ typically and get low mileage despite being mostly highway.

Chris

Old 12-28-2002, 08:54 PM
broncoman85
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-Dec-02 AT 09:57 PM (EST)]My .02$ worth, I've got a 02 and love it with a passion, doesn't have the get up and go my 75 with 460 has but the room and comfort makes up for it. The only complaint I've got is the headrest (plural, all of them) I can't keep the upholstery together at the bottom. I'm gonna end up drilling and putting some small brass screws in them cause I'm tired of them coming loose. I've tried superglue and weatherstrip adhesive....nothing has worked so far. Once again I stress, this is my only complaint (other than I couldn't get the truck with a bigblock). I get about 15-16 miles to the gallon no matter how I drive it...pedal to the metal or baby it, towing I haven't really checked it but don't really look to get much with another 4700 pound vehicle behind it. My ex-wife claims she gets 24 with her extra cab full size cheby....wish I could borrow her calculator....course this is coming from a woman who won't put more than 10 bucks worth in at a time...so how she figures her mileage is beyond me.
All joking aside this is the best all around truck I've ever owned, I've got 32000 miles on it, added a K&N, cut the muffler off and installed a straight pipe in it's place (not to loud at all have to listen for it running down the road, but stand on it and it'll talk a little bit) and installed a 150 horse nitrous kit (you know just for those times I need to pass more than one car at a time.....OK OK just love the kick) and if I can ever afford another new vehicle this is what itll be, bar none.
Later Michael
PS truck has a 5.4, just for the record....God, I wish I could have gotten it with a big block....wait a minute, I could swap the motors with my 75. Mmmmmm, ya'll be good I gotta go take some measurements.

Old 12-29-2002, 05:52 PM
Sawdust Junkie
New User

I was expecting 14-15 MPG average. I live in Wisconsin. I was wondering if the cold weather had something to do with it.

I talked to a friend who does service at a Ford dealer. He thinks I should be getting better mileage than this also. We're going to hook up a computer to it and do a test drive to see if everything looks right. His manager has an '03 SuperCrew almost identical to mine. I spoke to him and he told me he gets 14-15 average. He got 11 MPG when he was towing around a 5000 lb. trailer.

Old 12-29-2002, 08:55 PM
texan_eagle_scout
Senior User

>I have a 2003 5.4L, 4X4 SCrew with 3.73 rear-end with about
>1200 miles on it.
>
>I'm getting 10 - 11 MPG combined driving not towing. I got
>15 MPG strictly highway driving with the cruise set to 70
>(Interstate). I don't drive with a lead foot by any means.
>What's up? While I didn't buy the truck for mileage, I'm a
>little concerned because this is much less than I expected.

Well, at least you are getting better than the 9 city my dad gets in his 2000 Silverado x-cab 2500 w/ 6.0L V8. That really drives him crazy, not to mention that "piston slap" he has.

Seriously I have the 3.55 gears with my 5.4L, I do not have the Limited Slip (I wish I did), and we "average" 15-16.5, with about 300 miles per fill (I top-off, I am so evil! Take me away). This of course varies with temp, I also use 87 octane (the summer and winter formulations do affect this quite a bit regardless of grade), and which of us, me or my wife is driving more. I have noticed no "lugging" while driving, and it's legs are long enough for higher speed freeway driving (at it's fuel cost). The bit about the speed is absolutely true, at 65 we average more than at 60 or at 70-75. Too much frontal area for efficient mileage. But it is a truck afterall.

The FX4 I know (not sure about the 4x4 model) is 3 inches higher than my 2wd SCrew so the mileage of course would go down with the additional drag, add to that the parasitic drag of the 4x4 running gear which is turning even when disengaged. Add tires, off-roaders have a wider footprint, with taller sidewalls, these take more energy to push forward. Tire pressure is key here also regardless if it is a car or truck (I cannot stress this enough).

Do you have any light bars sticking up?, or a bumper guard? These all "dirty" the airflow around the truck and generate drag. Do you have any other "mods" like a chip, or exhaust? Do you drive with the tailgate down? Believe it or not this actually generates drag and will lower your mileage at higher speeds. Do you turn your OD button on the shifter handle off? (I have to ask...)

The explanation for the tailgate is long so I'll spare you unless you guys want to know. I will try to dig up some pics for "show & tell" if you guys want.

Old 12-30-2002, 09:32 AM
texan_eagle_scout
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-Dec-02 AT 10:34 AM (EST)]I know what it is! The Chebbies on the road suck so much they are pulling you back so you have to give more gas to over come the rampant suckiness... You just don't notice because they are always around. They are everywhere. Just like P.T. Barnum said, "A sucker is born every minute."

Old 12-30-2002, 09:41 AM
Tex Arcana
Freshman User

>I have a 2003 5.4L, 4X4 SCrew with 3.73 rear-end with about
>1200 miles on it.
>
>I'm getting 10 - 11 MPG combined driving not towing. I got
>15 MPG strictly highway driving with the cruise set to 70
>(Interstate). I don't drive with a lead foot by any means.
>What's up? While I didn't buy the truck for mileage, I'm a
>little concerned because this is much less than I expected.

You definitely have a problem and need to get it looked at. I had a '97 Lariat extended cab with the 5.4 and 3.73 gears and the heavyu-duty towing package, and I got 15-17 city/22-24 highway on a regular basis. Hell, even my 2001 Lightning gets 12-15 in the city!! :-staun

Old 12-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Sawdust Junkie
New User

>Do you have any light bars sticking up?, or a bumper guard?
>These all "dirty" the airflow around the truck and generate
>drag. Do you have any other "mods" like a chip, or exhaust?
> Do you drive with the tailgate down? Believe it or not
>this actually generates drag and will lower your mileage at
>higher speeds. Do you turn your OD button on the shifter
>handle off? (I have to ask...)

Nope... I'm running a totally stock truck with OD on and the tailgate up. I'll wait and see what the service guys say. Someone else I know with a 2002 S-Crew similar to mine is getting 15 MPG. He had a problem with mileage early and found the cause was a bad wheel bearing. After the holidays I'll take it in and let you all know what I find out.

-Kevin