Header question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
zpmps2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header question

Hi all, i have a 1980 ford f-150 custom with a 351M, and i want to ask a question. When yall say "just straight headers" do you unbolt the pipes from the header, or do you leave a little bit of pipe to run to the ground. After reading "Whats all the noise about" i had this question popup. If i were to unbolt mine, then it would still not be below the frame, is this ok; or is this just a bad idea. I'm not old enought to drive yet, but my brother has a 300Z with a turbo in it, and the neighbors called us because it was "too loud". only thing is, it had a cat and a muffler, just the tip set it off. So i was just wondering if i could unbolt the pipe from the header for a day or so, or if i like the sound, leave them off. The neighbors are real stuck up, by this i mean that they bought there son a Chevy Z71 truck and he wants to go to the Vilonia, Arkansas mudpits to race. ( For $) And i would like to "intimidate" him for a month or so. to sum it all up, i was just wondering if you could just unbolt the header from the pipe, no problems. Thank you all in advance and keep on tricking every FORD you can get your hands on.

Taylor

Old 01-16-2007, 10:46 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you can...though have fun with those bolts. Cutting them is more like it.

"Straight headers" in my book refers to running the headers with nothing attached afterwordsm AKA "open headers". A peice of pipe could be used to direct the flow downward, away from the truck, etc. Straight headers just means the headers and nothing else though.

"Straight pipes" is running just headers with a tailpipe of some configuration.

Neighbors are VERY stuck up if a 300Z with cat and muffler bothers them. My GMC would definetly be a bother (454, open headers).

Basically, don't leave the pipes dead-ending into anything that would melt, burn, etc. Running a little pipe to leave it below the frame is always a great idea.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 AM
zpmps2
Senior User
Originally Posted by RangerPilot

Neighbors are VERY stuck up if a 300Z with cat and muffler bothers them. My GMC would definetly be a bother (454, open headers).

Basically, don't leave the pipes dead-ending into anything that would melt, burn, etc. Running a little pipe to leave it below the frame is always a great idea.
If i were to cut the bolts off, could i go to napa and get replacements easy without ordering? Neighbors do have a point thought, we didnt hear this till after a while, but he was doing 115 in a 30, thats why they called us. they just said it was too loud. a turbo boosting 16 psi would get to 115 in a hurry. If there is nothing that would melt, wires, etc. then the open headers should be fine right. Im at school "Study Hall" and searching this great forum, so when i get home ill try to unbolt them, if not, ill bring it up to shop class and cutting torch em off. Last Q, if i did use the cutting torch, then just cut the nut off of the bolt right. Ill fiddle with it when i get home. Only 4 hours and 20 min left, countdown

Thanks, Taylor

Old 01-17-2007, 05:35 PM
zpmps2
Senior User
Just to let everyone know, my clutch wire "metal" is in the way on the left side, and on the bottom of the block on the right (passenger) side, there is a round, cylinder type thing that the exaust would barely hit if i ran open, would the clutch wire or the round cylinder, be in the way of the exaust so much that it would hurt it. Bear with me, im new to this

Taylor

Old 01-17-2007, 08:53 PM
zpmps2
Senior User
anybody???? really need help, before mud season comes......

Taylor