N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Recommendations for minor sheetmetal welding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:56 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommendations for minor sheetmetal welding?

Hi,

I have a 1970 f250 4X4 (Highboy) that needs some welding done. Can you recommend a good person or shop to do this? I live in Vallejo, but am willing to travel up to 70 miles to get this done.

It needs two new floorpans, a new front cab mount, inner fender well where the battery sits, and a few other patches. I can provide the patch parts and bring them. I mainly need someone to weld them in. None of these patches are in places that are easily seen and they do not need to look good. They just have to be strong.

Thanks,
Karl

PS- I am continually inspired by reading your posts. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I'm probably a little to far for you...IIRC about 2 to 3 hours from Vallejo, but why not find a used 110v wirefeed off of Craigs List and do a little practice, then attack it yourself? Probably run you the same as it would if you had to take it into a shop...and you'd always have the welder for future use.

For somehting like you're doing (as long as it's not sheetmetal like a fender) a fluxcore wirefeeded would be fine. If you buy one that can be converted to gas later, you'll be ahead of the game!

Good thing about the floorboards is as long as it's welded in good, doesn't matter if its not the prettiest...grind the high spots smooth and lay the carpet down

Old 01-16-2007, 06:03 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Fastmover, it is a two-way street. Please feel free to post any suggestions on the 4x4 we are building. You likely know as much as we do on the highboys. . . . .

As to your welding project - if I had to do it, I would remove the cab and lay it over. There is always more to do than you see when you first look at it.

Do you have a shop where you can work on it?

Old 01-16-2007, 07:23 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
***** and Mike,
Thanks for the information. I do not have much space to work in and have not welded anything for 23 years (oxyacetylene in metal shop in 9th grade). I will look online for a welder though and practice since it would be cool to learn how to weld. I imagine there is quite a bit to taking off the cab with all the wiring, but it would give me a chance to fix it better.

I am pretty new to the restoration world, but am learning fast. I am happy to share my knowledge on the 4X4 project, and hopefully pick up some too. Do you have a link to its discussion page?

Thanks,
Karl

Old 01-16-2007, 07:49 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
The 4x4 project is on this forum - most threads are identified with (4X4 Project) included in the title - just jump in.

I bought a Harbor Freight wire feed welder and later added gas to it. It is not the best but I may not have it set up right. When we move the truck down to Mike's I intend to take the welder to him and get help to learn to weld with it. I am making a stretch cab for my '59.

But . . . when the overhauling show did Chip Flosses' (spelling) '56 chop - his dad used a old school gas welder, just like we learned in shop class 30 years ago. My first door pillar patch on the '59 I braised with no problems. I had to rip it apart for other reasons and it held as good as the original metal. (I later found a cab that did not need these repairs)

As to the wiring, there are plugs at the firewall or nearby for almost all of them.

We will have a 72 apart near you - either near Clear Lake, or Modesto. You should plan on joining us one Saturday to look it over and see just what we are talking about.

Clint

Old 01-16-2007, 08:32 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Thanks for the information about the project truck. Is it the 72 you are talking about. I want come and see some Saturday. Please tell me when you are working on it and I will make the trip.

Karl

Old 01-17-2007, 09:06 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll make you a deal: bring your truck up here to Lakeport when we get the project truck here (within the next couple of weeks) and help me wrench on it, and it turn I'll help you with your welding project. It's a little over 100 miles straight up hwy. 29 so that's a just a bit outside your preferred travel distance.

Whatchoo think?

Old 01-17-2007, 09:33 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
lol...want to know what;s funny, I just Mapquested Vallejo....it's 100.7 miles from Oakdale.

That's what driving in the Bay Area has done to me over the years. We don't think in terms of miles, just "time to get there".

Old 01-17-2007, 10:24 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Hey Mike, I understand that. I commuted from VJO to South San Francisco for 6 years. That is why I work in Vacaville. Do you have a recommendation for someone in Oakdale who can weld?
Thanks,
Karl

Old 01-17-2007, 10:54 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
If I didn't have two things in the shop right now I'd say bring it down....it's just too darn cold to work outside around here these days.

Yeah, I'm a wimp to cold weather

Dan's offer is pretty good though, a little tit for tat.

Not trying to lead you away from FTE, but on the jalopyjournal.com board (HAMB) there's lots of fabricators/etc, all over the place and you may find someone two doors down from you as well. Just make sure you register into the board and fill out youor profile, do an intro. The boards a little harsh sometimes, but there's some really talented folks on it too.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:22 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/263933839.html

This is really what you need, also by chance the guy is in Vallejo.

But places like Costco, HomeDepot etc., have these as well, so compare pricing

Good thing is, when you get some spare coin, you can change over to gas (MIG) if need be

Old 01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Hey Mike and Dan,

Thanks for the information on MIG welders. I agree about the cold. I had to scrape frozen rain off my windshield this morning. I am going to do or get the welding patching done at the end of May. Right now I am getting new tires, the engine rebuilt, and a new exhaust system done which is taking all my money.

In the meantime I want to get things ordered and ready to do the welding in May and then complete the rest of body work over the summer so I can paint (or get it painted) this Fall.

Dan, I want to help out and learn from working on the project truck. Since my truck is out of commission until all the other work is done, I have plenty of time to grab my tools and drive up to Lakeport and help out. Tell me when you need some help. I am a beginner, but am a quick learner and as my wife points out I can lift heavy things too.
Thanks,
Karl

Last edited by fastmover; 01-17-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:49 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I should have some room freed up by then Karl, or at least be able to roll something out of the way...I hope...I pray...yes, it'll happen...I'll have at least one rolling chassis done by May.

"If I think it will happen, it will happen"

I need to repeat that 9000 times...

Old 01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Thanks Mike. I have to keep saying that stuff too about my house.

kgs