Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Looking for a Bio-Diesel Partner

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:35 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing a lot of reading and asking a lot of questions and am now interested in setting up a small Bio-Diesel production operation. Nothing large, mind you, just a small 35-gallon-per-batch setup. Should be able to produce enough to keep a couple of trucks supplied with all the fuel they'll need by putting in a few hours a month worth of effort.

Trouble is, although I now understand how to make it, and can afford the investment to buy the equipment, I don't have anyplace to set it up. So, I'm looking for a partner. You supply the space, I'll supply the equipment, and we can split the cost of supplies and the waste oil gathering duties.

Only "catch" is you have to be close by enough that it isn't too much of a hassle for me to swing by for fill-ups. I live in Kent and work in Sout Seattle. Anybody around here in the South Seattle, Kent, Fife, Milton, Tukwila, area who would be interested? Send me a PM if you're interested....

Last edited by CheaperJeeper; 01-10-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:45 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru

I've been asking a lot of questions and have recieved a lot of good answers from the folks in this forum. Now I think I'm about ready to set up a small Bio-Diesel production operation. Nothing large, mind you, just a 35(maybe 50)-gallon-per-batch appleseed setup with methanol recovery and magnesol cleaning. Should be able to produce enough to keep a couple of trucks supplied with all the fuel they'll need by putting in a few hours a month worth of effort.

Trouble is, although I now the info I need now, and can afford the investment to buy the equipment, I don't have anyplace to set it up. So, I'm looking for a partner. You supply the space, I'll supply the equipment, and we can split the cost of supplies and the waste
oil gathering duties.

Only "catch" is you have to be close by enough that it isn't too much of a hassle for me to swing by for fill-ups. I live in Kent and work in South Seattle. Anybody around here in the South Seattle, Kent, Fife, Milton, Tukwila, area who would be interested? Send me a PM if you're interested....

Last edited by CheaperJeeper; 01-10-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:28 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Try posting in the Washington chapter also

Old 01-10-2007, 09:04 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Good idea Fab - done.....

Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Learath
Senior User
i'd be willing to help but bellingham isnt to close

Old 01-11-2007, 12:38 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Learath
i'd be willing to help but bellingham isnt to close
LOL! No, I'm afraid that would be too far to go to brew a batch OR to refuel....

Old 01-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Agemenon
Elder User
Kind of off topic cheaper, but what do you need to make bio diesel? where can you buy the kits? I'm kinda interested myself. What are the benifits of using this stuff?

Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 AM
bl311
Senior User
Check out the bio diesel forum on this site. Lots of info. I buy mine from a station that meets the standards set by the powers that be. The setup is simple but it takes a while to get the brew just right. I know someone doing it and he is spends most of his time scavenging for used oil.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:35 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Yeah, check the forum here and biodiesel.org

Fairly simple process. The supply of used oil looks pretty good in my area. But having a partner makes collecting it easier - hence my starting this thread.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Should move this post to the alternative fuels section.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:18 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
Should move this post to the alternative fuels section.
It is already posted there too. And in the WA FTE Chapter forum as well.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Bioford
Freshman User
I have been making biodiesel for awhile now and would be happy to answer any questions. Also why not make bigger batches? When you invest so much time per batch,depending on the process you are using, it is nice to have a larger outcome like 100+ gallons.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:48 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bioford
I have been making biodiesel for awhile now and would be happy to answer any questions. Also why not make bigger batches? When you invest so much time per batch,depending on the process you are using, it is nice to have a larger outcome like 100+ gallons.
True, but to supply only enough for a couple of vehicles 100 gallon batches might be a bit much. I probably drive mine more than the average (300 miles or so per week) so I'm still using less than 100 gallons a month.

Three 35-gallon batches a month would be more than enough for my needs. I might go with a 50-gallon-per-batch reactor to cut it to two batches per month, but I really can't see the need for anything bigger than that.

The problem with processing bigger batches is it means needing more storage for finished product as well as more storage for WVO. That means more space, and space is what I don't have...

Old 01-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Bioford
Freshman User
good point. the first processor i made produced 30 gallon batches in around 23 hours though operator time was only around 1-2 hours. I needed more fuel per batch to justify the time and effort. I also shared some with friends. I just threw that out for consideration, personally I ended up building a larger processor very shorty after the construction of the first one.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:08 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bioford
good point. the first processor i made produced 30 gallon batches in around 23 hours though operator time was only around 1-2 hours. I needed more fuel per batch to justify the time and effort. I also shared some with friends. I just threw that out for consideration, personally I ended up building a larger processor very shorty after the construction of the first one.
All good points. Though 30 gallons of fuel for 1-2 hours operator time isn't a bad return on your investment.

Naturally if I built a 35 or 50 gallon appleseed processor and the throughput was insufficient, it would be pretty easy to build another one right beside it. Of course the second one would cost less than the first because they could share some of the equipment (pumps, valves, piping, etc.).

I am thinking of incorporating some of Fabman's ideas into my setup. Like a vacuum recovery still for cleaning the methanol out of the bio and magnesol for drying it. None of that would need to be duplicated either, and will greatly reduce the overall batch time as well, right?

Isn't most of that 23 hours per batch you mentioned the time spent cleaning and drying the processed bio? The actual reaction time is only a fraction of that as I understand it.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Bio-Diesel Partner