1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mustang II front end in a 58.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2000, 02:27 PM
rusty 58
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am seriously thinking about a Mustang II front end for my 58 fleetside. The idea being that I get disc brakes, new steering box, power steering, ride height and handling at probably the same price as it would cost me to buy all the bolt on kits individually through Bobs, Socal and the like.

I dont weld so its off to the rod shop. Does anyone have any idea how much sheet metal (body panels) I have to take off? Engine off? My intention being to remove as much as possible, so I am not paying labor for something I can do myself.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of conversion? Whats the ride like? Worth the money? My initial guestimates for the work are about the same sort of $$$ as it is to buy the clip.

Old 12-18-2000, 03:53 PM
jwcnj45
Senior User

If you are going to send the truck out for the Mustang II conversion I would remove the entire nose of the truck since it makes it much easier to work on without the sheet metal in the way. This should also save you some money since it makes it a much easier installation without the sheet metal in the way.

Old 12-18-2000, 09:20 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would remove the engine to get it out of the way. They might need it to make motor mounts though. Ask them how they want to proceed. You don't want to pay them shop wages if you can remove it.

Old 12-20-2000, 02:07 PM
ebrowder
New User