Sponsored by:

Capt. vs Bench Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:15 AM
2funride
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt. vs Bench Seats

Can anyone tell me if you can, and how easy it is to replace the second row bench with capt. chairs? Has anyone else done so?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 01-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search, this has been discussed many times over.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:48 PM
theo157
New User
I have seen this response to someone's question one too many times now! Not just here, but all the forums that I follow. Why are people so unwilling to just answer the question? I understand that the question may have been answered before, but why does it make the topic off limits??? I could understand if every third thread was about the same topic, but this clearly isn't the case. I just think that by telling people to search all the time we will just make folks afraid to ask questions which is bad because we will never get fresh opinions. In this case I know that I personally asked the same question before Thanksgiving, but I never took the time to go back a month and a half later to give my opinion. I will now though and maybe I will give a little more information or at least back the opinion of someone else. If people are so upset about topics being discussed more than once a year my suggestion is that they just don't click on the thread. Why take the time to read the guys question and tell him to search???

Now that I have that off my chest I'll give my opinion about the seats. As I stated before I had the very same question just before Thankgiving. I own a 2000 Excursion that obviously had a bench seat in the second row. Ever since I knew of the 2nd Row Captains Chair option I thought that would be the hot setup. I found a set on eBay last month and made the switch. Seat removal was a cinch. The seats are bolted in place with T55 Torx bolts if I remember correctly and removal was simple. The only trouble I ran into was accessing the rear bolts because I never realized that the seats slid forward. At that point I second guessed the conversion because my motivation was to gain easier access to the third row. At first, I wasn't convinced that buckets were that much of an improvement to justify the cost of the seats and the loss of the passenger seat.

Installation was a little tricky for me because 2nd row buckets weren't an option in 2000, so I had to drill two new holes for the bolts and put nuts on them from underneath. I understand later models have the threaded holes already in place. They simply need to be uncovered. Either way, the job isn't hard.

A month and a half later I am glad that I made the switch. It is a little easier to get to the third row now. I don't walk between the seats though like I thought I would. I almost always slide the seat forward so there really isn't that much of an improvement over the bench from that standpoint. What makes them great in my opinion is that the folks in the third row aren't as isolated. It just makes the cabin feel together if you will. So if you can find some seats and can afford to lose one seating postion I suggest you go for it!

Sorry for the long post. I know that sometimes is offensive too...

Last edited by theo157; 01-04-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:34 AM
2funride
New User
Theo, thanks for the response…for some I think it is just another way to get their posting numbers up! After buying the Ex. I have conservatively spent 20 to 30 hours on here researching all the nuances of it. Not to mention the 20 hours of going through the truck to make sure I know fluids, mechanicals, etc.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

I might add that all of this work and time I have spent has been successful due to the people like you here helping newbies like me. Thanks to all who do respond, as I have enough research time here to start a thesis. (I did research this topic also, however was unable to determine if it was doable, without major perils…so I asked?)

<o></o>

Thanks again everyone, you have saved me bunches of money.

<o></o>

I plan developing a method to send beers by email!

<o></o>

Paul

Old 01-05-2007, 12:36 PM
topfuelrc
New User
To be honest, I did a search on this and I could not find very much. My friend is looking to get a X with a 7.3 and quad seats, this seems a hard combo to find. Do any of you know good websites for selling trucks, and such? I have found one that I'm going to see tomorrow, but its black (wanted grey) and it's 2wd. Although 2wd does have some small perks like a slightly smaller turning circle.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Ex... the first two were limiteds with what I thought was the hot setup and cool.... had no idea how uncomfortable the small, short, 2nd row was.... (I refuse to call them captain chairs cuz they ain't !)

the current 05 Ex has the 2nd row bench with the large fold down center arm rest and EVERYONE tells me how much more comfortable it is... and is actually much more conducive to different arrangements, like folding 1 side and not the other, getting ore flat level space for "stuff", etc....

My vote is for the bench everytime....
course that's just my opinion

Old 01-06-2007, 06:17 AM
2funride
New User
Some good things to think about!

Thanks,

Paul

Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 AM
tetsuo73
Junior User
sorry to bring up an old post. But can anyone tell me if the 2nd row "captains chair" is the same size chair on the 1st row? just so I know when to look on ebay I buy the right chair.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
no they are not... they are short squat - almost square seats...

I would even call them uncomfortable !

Old 06-25-2009, 09:30 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think the 2nd row Captain's are smaller than the front ( first row Seats) but not 100% sure just basing on jdadamsjr's response. I do know that the second row Capt's are hard to locate as I have been looking for and if the first row would fit in second row would be nice to know.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
The 2nd row captains are definitely a different size than the front - for some reason they are even smaller than my last 2 Expy's with the quad seating.

Actual measurements of the seat bottom cushion:

Front = 20" wide x 22.25" deep
2nd row = 21" wide x 18.5" deep

Hope this helps.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
How about a pic ?
http://picasaweb.google.com/paf281/B...24466963239858
the 2nd row is basically just the bench without the center section.... but not near as comfortable as the bench to me (and my passengers )

having had 2 ex's with the 2nd row 'captain chairs' and now the bench seat in the 05

they ain't captain chairs

Old 06-25-2009, 01:37 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
theo157: http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/posting.html

When hauling adults, captains chairs are preferable, but kids and long trips, I'd prefer to have bench. One in the 3rd row and one in the 2nd, with relatively equal size to spread out and have their stuff for long car trips would be handy. However I have quad captains chairs, and when I'm moving adults it's quite convenient. I've even taken lunch out in my truck, I hop in the back and pop down the dvd player and recline in the chair, and it's very comfortable. To bad no one is allowed to drive my truck, ever, period, forever, as I certainly wouldn't mind passengering back there.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 PM
tetsuo73
Junior User
Well I guess the key question will the 1st row chairs fit on the 2nd row, before I start pulling the carpet off and drill new holes to try to fit a 1st row chair into the 2nd row.

Seems like there are no 2nd row captains on sales on ebay or junk yards anyway, but there are sure lots of 1st row chairs to be found.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:42 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tetsuo73

Seems like there are no 2nd row captains on sales on ebay or junk yards anyway, but there are sure lots of 1st row chairs to be found.
Now that's a fact

Quick Reply: Capt. vs Bench Seats