Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

Miss I Believe What Your Have Is A Cracked Head,

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:25 AM
shelly renee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miss I Believe What Your Have Is A Cracked Head,

DOES THIS MEAN I GET TO CRACK THE LOCAL AUTO MECHANIC WITH A BIG STICK ABOUT HIS HEAD AND SHOULDER'S? YEAH I'M GUESSING NOT. EVER TRY BEING A FEMALE AND BLONDE AT THAT AND WALKING IN SOME WHERE FOR SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS "SIR, COULD USE PLEASE FLUSH MY RADIATOR AND WINTERIZE MY TRUCK, AND WHAT WOULD THAT COST ME TODAY?" WOW I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS IN STORE FOR, AND IT'S STILL COSTING ME, AT LEAST NOT AT THAT PLACE OF SERVICE, HOW EVER WHILE LEAVING AFTER PAYING TO HAVE MY RADIATOR FLUSHED AND WINTERIZING MY TRUCK. MY IDOT GAUAGE THE TEMP ONE STARTS MOVING UP AND UP AND MOVING CLOSER TO THAT AREA WHERE IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE. SO I PULL OVER SHUT IT DOWN, WAIT JUST A FEW MINUTES TURN THE KEY THE NEEDLE IS SOME WHERE IN THE MIDDLE AS IT USED TO BE ALL THE TIME. SO BACK I GO, AFTER PULLING IN TO THE SHOP LETTING MYSELF AND MY TRUCK COOL DOWN. I POP THE HOOD, TAKE OFF THE CAP TO THE OVER FLOW JUG, CAUSE THERE WAS NO CAP FOR MY RADIATOR LIKE THERE USED TO BE. AND MUCH TO MY SURPRISE ITS DIRTY YELLOW, LIGHT RUST LOOKING THIS FLUID IS....HERE I GO THINKING I AM GOING TO BLOW A GASKET BECAUSE I REQEUSTED THE GREEN ALL ANTI-FREEZE , NO 50/50 CRAP IN MY TRUCK. THAT WAS MY REQUEST. I DON'T WANT SOME THING IN MY RADIATOR THAT SAYS DO NOT ADD WATER TO THIS SO CALLED ANTI-STUFF, EXCUSE ME I KNOW I AM JUST A CHIC BUT WHAT IF, AND YOU PRAY YOU DON'T FIND YOUR SELL IN A SITUATION WHERE YOU MAY NEED TO ADD WATER FOR SOME REASON OR ANOTHER TO GET YOU WHERE YOU CAN GET HELP. BUT IT COULD HAPPEN. I HAVE NEVER EVER CARRIED ANTI- FREEZE IN MY TRUCK AFTER WINTERIZING UNTIL NOW. WELL THIS MAN TELLS ME NO THAT'S NOT THE 50/50 LADY, I COULD HAVE FORGOT TO BURP YOUR TRUCK, AND IN 2 WEEKS YOU WILL NEED TO COME BACK AND WE WILL BURP IT AGAIN, THEN WE WILL CHANGE THE FLUID AGAIN AND THEN IT WILL LOOK GREEN. I'M LIKE OH MY ..THIS DUDE HAS BEEN DRINKING THE ANTI-FREEZE, BESIDES THE TEMP GAUAGE GETTING READY TO RED LINE MY TRUCK WAS MAKING A WHISTLING TYPE NOISE. THIS MAN TOLD ME THAT WAS A HIDEN ALARM THAT FORD PUT IN TO LET ME KNOW I WAS HAVING PROBLEMS IN CASE I WASN'T SMART ENOUGH TO PAY ATTENTION TO MY GAUAGES.
NOT SMART ENOUGH I THINK TO MYSELF, NOT SMART ENOUGH HUH, SO CALMLY I WALK TO MY TRUCK TO LEAVE AND HERE HE COMES WITH SOME WATER TO ADD TO THE DO NOT ADD WATER ANTI-FREEZE HE JUST PUT IN MY TRUCK. AND EVERY SINCE THEN I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS BEFORE I LEAVE TO GO ANYWHERE I MUST CHECK THAT LITTLE JUG, CAUSE IT IS ALWAYS LOW, MY TEMP GAUAGE GOES TO HOT I ALWAYS SEE IT HAPPENING SO I PULL OVER AND WAIT JUST A FEW MINUTES TURN THE KEY SOMETIMES IT TAKES A COUPLE OF TIMES AND THE NEEDLE ON THE TEMP GAUAGE, WILL GO BACK TO THE MIDDLE WHERE IT SHOULD BE. HOW EVER , IT APPEARS THAT ANTI-FREEZE IS COMING OUT SOME WHERE RIGHT BEHIND THE TIRE DRIVERS SIDE. SOME TIME WHEN I GET HOME YOU CAN TELL THAT SOMETHING HAS PUCKED DOWN THE SIDE OF MY TRUCK ON THE LOWER HALF, DRIVERS SIDE. SO WELL YOU KNOW THIS BLONDE IS NOT GOING BACK TO THE PLACE WHERE IT APPEARED THE GUY DRANK THE ANTI-FREEZE I WANTED IN MY TRUCK. SO LETS SEE WHAT SHOP WON'T SEE ME COMING, YEAH I WANT A MECHANIC THAT CAN'T TELL THE COLOR OF MY HAIR, OR WHAT SEX I AM. AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT THEY ALL KNEW THEIR COLORS AND THE DIFFERENCE IN THE TOOLS THAT BOYS AND GIRLS SHOULD HAVE. SO LETS SEE 3 THERMOSTATS LATER STILL, HAVING PROBLEMS THE LAST GUY PUT IN A 195* THERMOSTAT. SAID HE RAN IT FOR 15 MIN. THEN ANOTHER 10 MINS OR SO WITH IT AT 2000 RPMS AND I'M STILL BUYING ANTI-FREEZE ON A REGULAR BASIS. I HAVE TO GET BACK AND FORTH TO WORK, SO I CAN PAY MY BILLS. LIKE TRUCK INSURANCE, RENT, BUY FOOD FOR MY 16 YEAR OLD SON. I'VE BEEN TOLD A CRACKED HEAD, BLOWN GASKET. BAD SENSOR, MY FAN. I WANTED IT TO BE SOMETHING SIMPLE LIKE A NEW RADIATOR CAP. THAT'S SOMETHING I COULD AFFORD. AND NOW I THINK I AM READY TO BLOW A GASKET, PLAIN AND SIMPLE AND I'M AFRAID TO GO TO A SHOP. AND I DON'T KNOW ANY REAL MECHANICS. I KNOW SOME SHADE TREE GUYS AND I'M NOT SAYING THAT IN A BAD WAY. OH YEAH AIR LOCKED THAT WAS WHAT SOMEONE TOLD ME LAST NIGHT. I'M THINKING AIR LOCKED IS HOW I GOT IN THIS SITUATION. IS THERE A BLEEDER VALVE OR SOMETHING. CAUSE MY TRUCK SET IN MY DRIVE WAY FROM THE 12/29 TILL 01/02 AND WHEN I GOT IN AND CHECKED THAT JUG WHEN I TOOK OFF THE CAP, I THOUGHT IT WAS GONNA BLOW OFF THERE WAS SO MUCH AIR IN THERE. DOES THAT MAKE SENSE, DOES ANY BODY KNOW ANY BODY, THAT MIGHT KNOW SOMEONE WHO COULD PLEASE HELP ME..FOR REAL MY NERVE IS ABOUT GONE. AND I ONLY HAVE JUST ONE NERVE LEFT. THIS ISN'T A JOKE AND IT IS NOT FUNNY, LOOKING FOR HELP.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS IF YOU MADE IT ALL THE WAY THRU. SHELLY RENEE

Old 01-04-2007, 06:39 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Wow!!!

Sorry to hear anout what some idiot in our trade has done to you and you're truck. Something easy to check. Remove the engine oil dip stick. Does it look like oil, or kind of milky? Do the same thing with the radiator cap. Does it look milky? Or since this "Yard Ape" left you're cap off, is it nasty milky looking?
This "Milky" look in either the radiator, or on the dip stick is coolant/water and oil mixing togather. And you should never have pressure in the coolant overflow jug. These do sound like something that point to a cracked head, block, or head gasket.
What part of the country are you located in. If I'm too far (Missouri) I'm sure you'll get postings back from closer FTE members.
Bob

Old 01-04-2007, 07:43 AM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Are you leaving puddles behind you? If you're leaking antifreeze on the ground, I'd first try to identify from where. If you're loosing antifreeze and not leaving puddles in the driveway, that could be a bit more difficult to find.

Where ya at? We've got good people on both sides of the state, and in the middle too. Let us know if we can help.

And welcome to .

Old 01-04-2007, 09:05 AM
shelly renee
New User
Thanks So Much, I'm Not Far From Kci Airport

Thanks So Much For Taking The Time To Read And Reply To My Problem.
I Live In Kansas City I'm Not Far From Kci Airport. Will Travel I Guess, I Guess One Could Not Diagnosis This With Out Actually Getting Their Hands On My Truck, In Response To The Oil And Radiator Caps Looking Milky. No Sir They Dont I Pretty Much Check Everything On A Daily Basis Just Looking For Some Change That I Can Note In Order To Tell Someone And Help Them In Their Diagnisos. You Know Whats So Strange Is I Put Anti-freeze In My Over Flow Jug . With Out Fail Ever Time I Get In It To Go Some Where, I Check It If Running Errands, At Every Stop. Well Actually Before I Take Off. I Fill Up My Jug Sometimes Not A Lot Sometimes Its Really Low. How Ever When My Needle On My Temp Gauage Starts Rising I Pull Over Immediately And Shut It Down. To Me This Seems Odd Cause Trust Me When I Say Sometimes It Dosen't Take Long To Cool Back Down, Sometimes I Shut It Down For Only 3 To 4 Minutes. Not Long At All , When Coming Home Late At Night From Work The Last Place I Want To Be Is On The Side Of The Highway. And I Won't Take Back Off To Drive Unless My Needle Is In The Middle Of The Gauge. I Know Its Probably Not Possible But It Seems As Though It Has Something To Do With When I Start It . I Don't Know But Thanks So Much And I Hope To See One Of You Guys That Really Know What Your Talking About And No More Of Those Guys Just Guess Or Pretending They Know.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:10 AM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
Well, miss... you came to the right place. FTE will help you solve your problem.

Not to be rude, but next time you type up a longer post like that, try not to use all-caps. It makes it a little harder to decipher.

Do like ubereal said, and check the oil. If you have a white milky substance mixed in with it on the dipstick, you have mixing of water-based fluids and oils.

Ryan

Old 01-04-2007, 09:14 AM
shelly renee
New User
As For The Puddles Behind Me, I Don't Know Remember What Color My Hair Is And This All Has Me So Stressed Out. I Have A Funeral For A Great Aunt I Need To Attend About 236 Miles From Here. This Weekend I Just Found. Oh I Just Dont Know. Now After My Last Therm Was Put In I Went About 4 Blocks Away It Got Hot, I Got Out And There Was A Large Puddle Of Anti-freeze. But Sometimes Not. My Drive Way Is Gravel, But At Work Its In A Garage. I Would See It There Or Someone Else Would Probably Say Something If I Were Making A Nasty Mess, I Am Sure Of That.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:19 AM
shelly renee
New User
No oil is not milky, I check it daily as with all my fluids, since this whole what ever has happened. And hows that for using my upper and lower cases properly.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:54 AM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Much better! Easier to read!

I'm no mechanic, but I'd be happy to help you trace a leak. In a weird way, it may be a good thing that you're actually seeing antifreeze on the ground. Maybe we can see where it's coming from.

I'm in Raytown, and Rattle Can (FightinIrish) isn't far away either.

My brother has 99 and has had some head issue with it...I'll call him this evening.

I'll send you a pm (private message) with my phone number in it, if you'd like, you can call me and we'll see when is a good time to look at it.

Good luck, you're in the right place!

Old 01-04-2007, 10:54 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a look at it fellers, if you have trouble, I'll be there later this month!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:25 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Originally Posted by shelly renee
No oil is not milky, I check it daily as with all my fluids, since this whole what ever has happened. And hows that for using my upper and lower cases properly.
what kind of truck do you have? Motor size-model year? If its newer, the antifreeze today is gold colored, its a formulation for engines with aluminum heads and cast iron blocks. It lasts much longer than the green or the orange stuff. If its diesel, you actually can overfill it. There is a tsb detailing requirements to fill no higher than the minimum fill level. Does it blow it out only when working it hard?

Old 01-04-2007, 12:33 PM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Seems to me I read somewhere that she's driving a 99.

If a mechanic actually put STRAIGHT antifreeze in it...meaning NO water...wouldn't that cause it to run hot? That was my first inkling anyhow...

Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 PM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Originally Posted by shellyrenee
Hi, my name is Shelly Renee, I am a single mom of a 16 year young man, living in Kansas City, Mo..and up until recently have been a proud owner of 1999 F150 4x4. Currently have some issues with my truck, looking for some help. But not the kind where I walk in and have a $200.00 bill just for being female and blonde. Thanks Shelly Renee
I knew I'd read that...I'd guess it is a gasser....some of us still use spark plugs!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:43 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Straight anti freeze isnt as efficient as a mixture, that is true, but the symptoms she's describing are more akin to coolant fan troubles, air lock trouble, head gaskets (altho I think it would be happening more), If its a 6.0 diesel, egr cooler, degas bottle overfull. It would really help to know more about the truck. With a VIN I can run an oasis.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:47 PM
tcbofade
Hotshot
You da man. If I hear from her, I can go take a look...and will certainly let you know.

My brother has one of these and has an issue with a head gasket...I don't think he ever fixed it tho. I'll bug him later tonight.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:54 PM
vloney
Postmaster

A lot of the 4.6 and 5.4 engine head gasket issues involved oil leaks.

Quick Reply: Miss I Believe What Your Have Is A Cracked Head,