6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

new turbo at 2,058 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:27 PM
NJTy180
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking new turbo at 2,058 miles

Is that a record?

Well I finally had to bring my fire companies 06' F-350 back to Ford for its first warrenty repair. Friday night I had to move the truck to do some work and while I had it out I figured Id go for a spin and exercise it. Well to my disappointment, the truck had absolutely no power and about 5 blocks later the check engine light came on.

So I took it back to the station, let it sit outside idling for an hour while I did the work I had came to do, then took it for another ride. It seemed a little better, but definately wasnt right and the dash light was still on.

Called Ford saturday morning and made an appointment for tuesday (today). Brought the truck in at 8:00am and gave the service guy all the needed info. It was rather funny when he asked me the mileage, I told him 2,058 and he types in 20,058...... Im like no, one too many zeros in there, it really has 2,000 miles on it, he seemed rather surprised but Im not really sure why, its not like the 6.0's are trouble free, lol. Service manager calls me around 4:00pm to tell me the truck was fixed, the turbo was bad and replaced and they also fixed an oil leak coming from the crank case vent.

So needless to say it was a pretty painless day, for me anyway, and my baby is fixed so I can stop worrying about it now.

Just figured Id share my story incase there were other low mileage owners out there with similar problems.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Ford has bulletin out on prolonged storage or non use. The vanes in the turbo rust shut from moisture. So no your problem is nothing new or record setting.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:54 PM
NJTy180
Junior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Ford has bulletin out on prolonged storage or non use. The vanes in the turbo rust shut from moisture. So no your problem is nothing new or record setting.
I know the problem isnt new, the problem is Ford used a ****ty turbo, lol. I was just making a joke about it being replaced at 2,000 miles, everyone else Ive talked to or have read on here has 50K, 114K, 38K, ect on them.

I guess Ford will be replacing the turbo ever year if thats the case cause Im not gonna put wear and tear on a vehicle just to keep the turbo free

Old 01-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Garret caused the problem, Ford did not, you should have the updated turbo now.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:01 PM
NJTy180
Junior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Garret caused the problem, Ford did not, you should have the updated turbo now.
Thats true.

The service manager was gone when I went to pick the truck up so I didnt get to chat about the problems or remedys but hopefully the updated turbo will do the trick

Old 01-02-2007, 06:02 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well i can tell you that the turbos are not bad. the vv turbos are only second to the TT setups. now, you have to drive these trucks, and i am sorry if you dont like that but you have to do it. i haved a truck at our local fire dept. that is the same way and they drive it at least once a week, and it has had no more issues without turbo replacement as of yet. i wish i could tell you a easy fix, but i cant. if you dont like the fact that you have to drive the truck, then you will have to deal with whatever issues come about.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:21 PM
FoMoCo136
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about a brand new one? I got mine new and it seems to be getting better. Could it (the vanes) be sticking some? Should I try to fob it like a boat motor or something crazy like that. It does seem to make pleaty boost now. Around 28lbs. Just wondering.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:06 PM
NJTy180
Junior User
Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
well i can tell you that the turbos are not bad. the vv turbos are only second to the TT setups. now, you have to drive these trucks, and i am sorry if you dont like that but you have to do it. i haved a truck at our local fire dept. that is the same way and they drive it at least once a week, and it has had no more issues without turbo replacement as of yet. i wish i could tell you a easy fix, but i cant. if you dont like the fact that you have to drive the truck, then you will have to deal with whatever issues come about.
I dont have to do anything. Ford can just keep replacing these POS turbos for free until its out of warrenty, then Ill simply slap on a real turbo that has a wastegate and solve the whole problem right there. Either that, or we'll replace this truck with a Dodge

Old 01-02-2007, 09:23 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
We had the same problems with our 05 E450 ambulance. In the shop at least 5 times in the first 7000 miles. These engines just can't take the way we use them.

Many of the other FDs and EMS service guys I've talked to share the same problems.

What's even better is that we'll be replacing our 96 PSD with one of the new 6.4s. I sure hope it's a lot better for the sit, floor it, idle, floor it, idle, sit type of work that we do.

It is 100% inexcusable to say that you have to drive an engine and drive it hard for it to work reliably.

Mike

Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 PM
jimh425
Senior User
I guess that depends on the recommendations. If Ford built an engine and said never let it sit idle for months, and you insist on doing it, it isn't Ford's fault if it fails. It's not like they aren't covering it under warranty.

On another note, don't you want the truck to work when you need it to go put out a fire or pick someone up in an emergency? Not doing what is required because you feel like you shouldn't have to, just sounds irresponsible, but that might not be what you meant.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:01 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTy180
I dont have to do anything. Ford can just keep replacing these POS turbos for free until its out of warrenty, then Ill simply slap on a real turbo that has a wastegate and solve the whole problem right there. Either that, or we'll replace this truck with a Dodge
go get a dodge. they have the vv turbos as well. if you put a turbo on a 6.0 with a wastegate, you will never get the performance out of your engine like you would with the vv turbo.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 AM
NJTy180
Junior User
Originally Posted by jimh425
I guess that depends on the recommendations. If Ford built an engine and said never let it sit idle for months, and you insist on doing it, it isn't Ford's fault if it fails. It's not like they aren't covering it under warranty.

On another note, don't you want the truck to work when you need it to go put out a fire or pick someone up in an emergency? Not doing what is required because you feel like you shouldn't have to, just sounds irresponsible, but that might not be what you meant.
Only Ford could manage to build a vehicle that breaks from lack of use, is basically what it comes down to, lol.

As far as not wanting to use it, yes it definately shouldnt have to be used in order to keep it in usable condition. Just because Ford has come out and said this would help prevent a problem with their product doesnt make it right by any means.

As far as emergency use, the turbo problem just leads to a lack of power, not total disability of the vehicle, so it could still be used if needed, not to mention we have a 7.3L PS F-250 to use for backup if it came down to it.

Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
go get a dodge. they have the vv turbos as well. if you put a turbo on a 6.0 with a wastegate, you will never get the performance out of your engine like you would with the vv turbo.
Right, and what proof do you have to show this great loss in performance? What do you think its gonna have turbo lag or something, that can be solved easily enough. How much turbo experience do you have exactly? Either way, I strongly disagree with your statement.

My personal truck has a standard wastegate turbo and its performance and reliablity is just fine.

and if Dodge uses vv turbos, why doesnt Dodge have all these problems like Ford does? Hummmm??? I know plenty of '03+ Dodge owners, some with very low mileage trucks that sit outside thier whole lives, they dont have to take their trucks in for new turbos all the time. Makes ya wonder doesnt it?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 AM
jeephaulinpsd
New User
Talking

It's just too bad that DODGE doesn't have a transmission worth a crap!! The engine might run...but the truck won't go anywhere!!

Old 01-03-2007, 06:30 AM
CanadaGuy
Elder User
For as long as I've been working in this trade, underuse of vehicles has been as much as if not more of a problem than over use. Whether it's a Tempo with seized wheel cylinders, or a 6.0 with a rusted unision ring, underuse in a humid environment will cause rust. Not Fords fault, they just can't control the weather... YET.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:47 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NJTy180---The experience that bowtiehatr, canadaguy, myself, and the other techs here are not laboratory findings, that much is correct. Our experience has been hands on, wrenches turning, bloody knuckles type of experience. We see what goes wrong with these vehicles close up and personal. To doubt what kind of experience these people have without even knowing them is irresponsible at best. Come to think of it, what proof can you give us that you even have a relationship with a fire company? Do you sweep the floors? You see, it works two ways. The techs here spend their time offering help to anyone that asks for it. Now, if your information says putting on a wastegated turbo will fix that problem, it will---but it will perform like a yugo with a plug wire off. Here, the emergency services dont use dodges because they arent reliable enough. That must mean that the entire country is the same, right? Thats using your logic!

Quick Reply: new turbo at 2,058 miles