Notices

Hazy windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 07:19 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hazy windshield?

I know I saw somewhere before how to remove the haze from inside the windshield but I can't find it now. At night when you look out the window at oncoming traffic it looks like you need to use the defroster, but it looks like this all the time year round. Anybody know anything to do or something to buy, other than replace the window?

Old 12-31-2006, 06:26 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
I have used polishing compound in the past. Inside and out. It gets alot of those fine scratches out. Another note. When you clean auto glass. Do not use glass cleaner with Amonia in it. Amonia etches tempered glass. Hope this helps.

Frank,

Old 01-05-2007, 03:51 PM
5.8F250
Junior User
Rain-X makes an Anti-Fog product which I use and work's pretty well. Also, keep the heat selector on the defroster/floor to eliminate fog.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:17 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
Thanks, but it isn't actually fog. You can rub it with your hand/a cloth/ whatever, and it won't go away, even with the heat on high and on defrost. It is there day and night, warm or cold. It is easiest to see at night when looking at oncoming traffic.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:58 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
"Sprayway Glass Cleaner" works really well. You might get a kitchen sponge with the scrubber a hold of it too (with the cleaner) to start with.

I've noticed some haze can actually be left behind by some paper towels (they have some oils or something in them) and even by clean cloth towels. Use a cloth towel(s) that's been washed in a plain detergent (no perfume, dyes, fabric softeners) and hot water. Wash your hands with a plain soap (again, nothing with moisturizers and such) too if you want to get picky.

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2007, 12:02 AM
j&bsuv
Senior User
if you try to rub it out just go up and down left and right circular is bad ..

Jeff

Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 AM
5.8F250
Junior User
Is there a sweet smell in the car. If so when the heater core go's it will create a haze on the windshield. Just saying this to eliminate possibilitie's.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:45 AM
fitmonkey1219
Junior User
Originally Posted by 5.8F250
Is there a sweet smell in the car. If so when the heater core go's it will create a haze on the windshield. Just saying this to eliminate possibilitie's.
sorry for jumping on the thread...but this happened to me yesterday as well..it was raining so i turned on the defroster to clear up the windsheild and noticed a sweet smell (best way to descibe it, it smells like maple syrup)...I turned it on high and nothing would clear up...used a towel to wipe but seem to help only a lil...asked around and on another forum, they told me it was the heater coil...does anyone know how much to replace? 2000 F150...hope that helps Wicky...

Old 01-06-2007, 12:53 AM
j&bsuv
Senior User
carprt wet on passenger side ?

heater core

Jeff

Old 01-06-2007, 09:55 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
Not to be mean, but I know what a heater core going bad smells like and what it does to the car. The carpet is bone dry and the only smell in the car is that of my royal pine air freshening tree hanging from the mirror. The haze doesn't go away with normal glass cleaner and any rag that I can get my hands on, paper or otherwise. The haze is like a permanent cloudiness to the glass. I know that somewhere on here a long time ago there was somebody who said what caused it and how to fix it, but for the life of me I can't get anything to turn up by searching.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:48 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
They make glass polish (abrasive), if anything will take it off it would be that. An high speed drill helps. You might check your insurance and see if you have a windshield allowance. I'm getting mine replaced in a couple weeks from "sandblasting" damage (all the tiny rocks and debris that pit the windshield after a while).

Old 01-07-2007, 11:05 PM
OldBrown82
New User
its the same thing as when your headlights get hazy. the haze is a bunch of fine scratches on the glass. with headlights you sand them down with a very fine sandpaper and the apply 3m rubbing compound, and then there spotless. i would think a light abrassive cleaner and a buffer would have a similar effect on a windsheild. then add some kind of rubbing compoud to fill in the remaining scratches. i like the idea of the rain x. just my 2cents

Old 01-08-2007, 09:03 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
It may not be the glass itself. It could be the laminate between the two pieces of glass that is hazing. Have a glass repair shop look at it.

Frank

Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
5.8F250
Junior User
Originally Posted by tewferford
It may not be the glass itself. It could be the laminate between the two pieces of glass that is hazing. Have a glass repair shop look at it.

Frank
Here's a link that talk's about the same thing.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/...uto+windshield

Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
It looks like it is on the inside and I thought somebody said that it was from the plastic/vinyl breaking down inside the car. There are certain spots on the window where it looks like somebody rubbed with and it is clear, but I can't find anything that will make the same results.

Quick Reply: Hazy windshield?