1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Back Pressure / Low Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:40 PM
b12jared
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back Pressure / Low Voltage

I have had a code pop up this month, a low voltage back pressure code. The truck sounds like it has a jake brake on when it is started for about 5-6 seconds, and goes away. Anyone have the same problem? I am guessin it is the valve on the turbo causing a problem.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:53 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep that probably what it is. I would jsut unplug that and be done with it. The connector is right under the turbo intake tube. It a 2 wre connector bolted to the turbo.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:58 AM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
You are correct, there is a exhaust back pressure valve on the exhaust side of the turbo on the bottom of the pipe is where the servo inputs the closure movement to the valve. There are several of us that have disconnected a wire plug where it travels underneath the intake pipe that disables the EBPV. That is how I fixed my problem. I have seen no negative reports to this action. You want to make sure that when you do this though that the valve is open cause if it is closed it hurts mileage. When I started my truck about 10 15 seconds after start it would so the old jake brake sound whooomp as the valve came on then went off, I simply disconnected the wire prior to starting and problem solved. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:41 PM
b12jared
New User
Thanks, for the responses. I didn't know if many people have replaced the servo or not. I will probably just disconnect the servo itself.