Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2006, 07:22 PM
New User

INEED2SPEED is starting off with a positive reputation.
99 Superduty Powerstroke Clutch Slave Bleeding

HAVING TROUBLE BLEED THE CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER ON MY 99 F350 POWERSTROKE. IVE OWNED THE TRUCK SINCE NEW. IT NOW HAS 52,000 MILES ON IT. THE DEALER REPLACED THE HOLE UNIT, MATER, SLAVE , AND LINE AT 10,000 MILES. SAID IT WAS RECALLED. IN THE LAST MONTH, I HAVE SLOWLY LOST PEDAL. ITS SO LOW NOW, I CAN ONLY MOVE IT BY STARTING IT IN GEAR. I HAVE CHECKED THE SYSTEM , THERE IS NO SIGNS OF LEAK. NO LOSS OF FLUID IN THE RESIVOR. I PLULLED THE TRANS DUST SHEILD. NOT WET IN BELL HOUSING. I BOUGHT THE REPLAEMENT SYSTEM AGAIN TO INSTALL. TALKED TO TRANSMISSION GUY. HE SAID DONT REPLACE IF NO LEAK. NEEDS TO BE BLEED. THERE IS NO BLEEDER VALVE OR ALLEN PLUG ON SLAVE. ANYONE NO HOW TO BLEED THIS UNIT? ANY IPUT WOULD HELP. THANKS, ED
Old 12-19-2006, 08:59 PM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
Welcome to FTE INEED2SPEED.

Go ahead and install the replacement system you bought. These things are very difficult to properly bleed, but the system is easy to replace.

While I don't know for certain, it seems that these slaves fail internally and just push the fluid around without creating any pressure.

I've replaced my hydraulics twice for the same symptoms you described. Replaced just the slave on a guys truck last week and it took two days of filling and pumpng the system to get all the air out. Big PITA.
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Old 12-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Postmaster

Fat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to all
The 99's had a weaker arm that goes from the slave into the bell and to the throwout bearing. That can bend. There is also a plastic fulcrum that it pivots on. It can totally distort.

I had a really good experience putting on the master/slave combo and needed no additional bleeding.
Early 99 F250 PSD 4x4 CC 6spd Common Mods 300,000+ Miles, No longer driven daily
1964 Falcon Convert 289 Toploader 9" 4 Wheel Disks
Nov '10 Recipient: "dedicated report-back tech thread poster" award!
Old 12-20-2006, 09:26 AM
New User

Hi Cookie88, Thanks For Your Quick Response. Im Going To Change The Whole Kit Today. As Much As I Have Worked On The Old One, It Seems Im Beating A Dead Horse. I Guess Im More Mad That It Only Lasted 40, 000 Miles. Sounds Like Its Going To Be A Ongoing Problem. Thanks Again, Ed
Old 12-20-2006, 09:38 AM
New User

Hi Fat Diesel, Thank You For Your Quick Response. Im Going To Put The New Unit On. Im At Home Now , And My Truck And Parts Are At The Shop. What I Want To Know, Is That Rod Your Talking About, Is It Part Of That Assembly Im Fixing To Replace? I Havent Seen The New Unit,its Still In Box At Shop. You Had Good Luck With Yours. Any Tricks? Just Put It On , Install Fluid And Pump Pedal? Any Thing I Should Do Before I Put It On? Thanks For Your Help, Ed
Old 12-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Postmaster

Fat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to all
I'm not sure what Rod you're refering to. The arm is a stamped steel piece about a foot and a half long that comes out of the bell housing. The slave cyl pushes on it. This arm tends to bend or break. You can't replace it without pulling the trans.

There is a rod that comes out of the slave unit. Do not take the plastic retainer off of it. It will break under the first usage and be fine. If you break it, it will be a pain to install.

There is fluid already in it.
Early 99 F250 PSD 4x4 CC 6spd Common Mods 300,000+ Miles, No longer driven daily
1964 Falcon Convert 289 Toploader 9" 4 Wheel Disks
Nov '10 Recipient: "dedicated report-back tech thread poster" award!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1999, 2000, 250, 73, bleed, bleeding, clutch, duty, f250, ford, powersroke, powerstroke, problems, replace, super