Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Cooling, Heating, Ventilation & A/C
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Posting Guru

thefarelaneman is starting off with a positive reputation.
labor flat rate time

I am looking for a sorce on line that can give me the time alowed for repairs. I know the dealers have one but they guard them from the public. I plan to fix a friends car for free and just wanted to know how many hours a dealer would charge for this.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Got mine from Nappa. I believe they trained a bunch of midgets till they got the fastest time and use that. If your shop isn't top of the line computerized and you haven't done it at least 50 times you will not match there time. I have had three shops running at the same time and if the book said 1.5 hours for a job than no mater what happened or how many days it took you can only charge the flat rate. That tell ya why the rates are so high?

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
From my experience, many of the flat rates are simply a percentage over the factory warranty rate. Problem is warranty often includes some additional addons for certain labor operations added to the main job. This is OFTEN overlooked by the motor guide and the others.
There are also certain jobs that they are way over the actual time that would have been charged by the dealer. Go figure how they arrived at that. Maybe because we know shortcuts that they cant figure out.
In any case, a labor guide is just that ... a GUIDE. Shops can choose to over ride it when there are obvious mistakes.. But dont bank on many techs giving you a break when the book is in their favor by a wide margin... just the facts of life.
In some shops they charge the minimum number of hours and pay the tech based on that. Then they charge a huge bloated hourly rate to cover thier butts, leaving the techs eating the loss.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 12-14-2006, 01:22 AM
Posting Guru

True, I worked as a dealer tech and know how to read the manual ,I just dont have access to one as of yet. I assume the radiator R/R will give a time of 4 to 6 hours .
Old 12-14-2006, 06:44 AM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On most Fords the R&R time for a radiator is 1 to 2 hours. A Taurus is about 4-6 hours but that is one of those that may be well over its actual due to improper sequence or access. It would definitely be difficult without a rack.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 12-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Posting Guru

OH LORDY.The car is a 97 Tarus,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have some large heavy duty stands and will try to raise it,If not,oh well, and I promised the wife I would fix her co-workers car........
Old 12-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarelaneman
OH LORDY.The car is a 97 Tarus,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have some large heavy duty stands and will try to raise it,If not,oh well, and I promised the wife I would fix her co-workers car........
heh! Proof that no good deed goes unpunished.....

Steve
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 12-15-2006, 08:32 AM