General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.
View Poll Results: What are your thoughts concerning DEER meat?
YOU *******! YOU KILLED BAMBI!!!!
0%
If you had a clue - you'd be a vegetarian.
0%
Was it really necessary to kill for food?
0%
I have never found a store that sells it.
5.88%
Never tried it
2.94%
Robin Hood lived on Deer - didn't he?
2.94%
I'll drop it, if YOU'LL clean it.
11.76%
I thought I had a clear shot, but a branch was in the way.
2.94%
How many was in the herd, and where was they?
11.76%
I'm fixin' to go git me some MORE today!!!
61.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Got me a whole mess of Venison from Mississippi....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got me a whole mess of Venison from Mississippi....

That is to say: Wild Deer Meat.

-Now, the question is what best to do with it? Survey says (of my own tastes, thank you) that regardless of what is considered a "Wild Flavor" to try some like that.

Then also there are advices from here and there about how to marinate Venison so that it's prime, and falls apart if I touch it with a wooden spoon....

C'mon with some recipes! I'm exploring new ground with this here!

-And thank the Lord for my little corner of the world, I love this kind of a life...

90% of the people who make jokes about country people are jealous of how easy we live. Reminds me - I need to git a new fishing lisence soon.

"Most of what you need come right plumb up out of the earth or out of the woods around here"

Last edited by Greywolf; 12-01-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:23 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
deer chili.......mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 12-01-2006, 07:23 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cut my own deer. I debone it & slice it into about 1/2 inch thick steaks. I take the backstrap & cut it 1 inch thick & rap it in bacon. I marinate it in Dales seasoning & some pepper & garlic then I grill it just like a beef filet. They are great. The secret is to not over cook them. If you cook them too long they dry up & taste like leather. I cut out all the grissle & fat on my deer meat. It still has some game taste but it is game. I have fed many people deer though that said they don't eat deer. I think its the way you process it that has the most to do with the flavor. I like to hang mine at about 38 degrees for 10 days before I process it. Is yours cut up Greywolf? I can help you if you need it. I just process my last deer this wk. I have about 10 lbs of meat I need to grind & I'm finished. I may make sausage with this batch.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I heard it doesn't stick together well when ground (low fat content - which is why I prize it).

It's all ready cut up - another man dropped it and gave some away. I have steaks and roasts.

LOTS!!!!

I have a ways to go before buying "Hunting Equipment".

I want a hundred pound compound bow. It isn't going to come this year. (replacing stolen things).

But I will have it next year!

Last edited by Greywolf; 12-01-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:42 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
It will stick together just like beef if you add the rib meat to your deer burger. It adds just enough fat to hold the meat together. I've killed 2 young fryers this yr. A small buck & a young doe. They weighed about 110 & 125 lbs. Excellent eating in my opinion. I'll spend the rest of the season looking for a wall hanger. I've got my freezer meat now.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Nice work!

Old 12-01-2006, 07:47 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I killed both of them on my land in north Louisiana. I couldn't drive 350 miles to hunt & pass them up. We love deer meat. My wife makes a great spaghetti with deer burger. It makes great chili too.I think deer burger makes better chili than beef does. It seems to add to the flavor. If you have roast cook them in a crock pot. They will fall to pieces. YUM I love deer meat.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:50 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
What do you need with a hundred lb bow? My 70 lb Mathews will kill anything you hit with it. I shoot it at 60 lbs & it always shoots the arrow through a deer unless I hit the shoulder bone. I bet you never tried to draw a heavy bow when you are freezing on a deer stand. Its tough to do. I put hunting gear ahead of all my toys. My truck isn't a hobby. Its for getting me to the woods & the lake. I have more money in hunting & fishing gear than any other hobby I have. I'd hate to set down & add up what I have invested in guns & gear. My wife might see it & have a fit.

Last edited by lariat97; 12-01-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Body building was the only outlet I had for my frustration in my last ten years as a US serviceman.
I WANT THAT DAMN BOW!!!!!

Roger roger?

Old 12-01-2006, 08:04 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Get what you want. I'm a firm believer in that. I'm just relating from my experience bow hunting. I had to let a huge buck go one yr because I was too cold & couldn't draw my 70 lb bow. I can draw it easy when I'm warm but after 3 hrs in a cold stand its different. Your body stiffens up more than you would believe. Thats why I shoot 50 to 60 lbs draw weight now when its really cold. I do what works for me.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I love the taste of venison, really does not matter how it's prepared in my opinion.

Check out these recipe links Greywolf:

www.deerfarms.com/recipes/index.shtml

www.internationalhunters.homestead.com/VenisonRecipes.html

I agree with Jake, venison chili is just outstanding and gets even better when it's 'marinated' for a couple of days.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:45 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well,i have one in the freezer from 1st season 2 weeks ago,went out this afternoon for second season after we got 12 inches of snow,saw a few tracks,but they weren't moving,so no luck. i actually like the "wild" taste of deer meat,so i don't do much to kill the taste. It is deer,if I wanted it to taste like beef,I would go to the store and buy beef and not sit out in a stand all day for days in the cold/rain/snow. I cook the roasts just like any other roast and use the burger in recipes that call for hamburger. I also get some sausage and deer sticks made up. they are good to eat sitting around in the summer with my hunting buddy thinking back about last years successes/failures and looking forward to the next season's fortunes/misfortunes

Old 12-01-2006, 08:54 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
^^^ I agree. Its supposed to taste like game. I don't doctor mine at all. We eat deer twice a wk if I have it. Its much better for you than beef. I'll probably make some cajon sausage with the meat I have left to grind. I have about 60 lbs of burger & about the same in steak in my freezer now. We buy little beef when I have deer in the freezer.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The only recipe I can think of involves a block of dry ice, an insulated box, and shipping to my place...........
I used to grill venison on a griddle years ago, but it's really good in a sweet and sour stew, done up in a crock pot. That's usually better for the older bucks, when they start to get tough and stringy.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Birddog63
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A venison stew with a side of phesant pie is good!

Deer sausage and biscuits & gravy is my favorite, I'd eat it all day if I could!!!

BUT I'll take it made any way I can get it as long as it's in front of me

Quick Reply: Got me a whole mess of Venison from Mississippi....