1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy Oil Drain Valves

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:27 AM
stevenn1
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Easy Oil Drain Valves

A guy at O'Reilly Auto told me that the origional Fram Sure Drain was recalled and Fram replaced it with a newer version. So the parts store chain decided not to carry that specific product in that brand anymore.

I bought a Dorman EZ Drain oil drain valve M14-1.50 (#092-007) for $10. As you might already know, it replaces the drain plug and is spring-loaded. Just push in orange **** and 1/4 turn to the right and it locks open, then push in and 1/4 turn to the left and it springs back for closed.

So far I am happy with the product. Dont see any leaks.

Anyone ever experienced this product? Good or bad results?

Last edited by stevenn1; 11-30-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:59 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never heard of that drain plug. I believe most of us that use a "valve" type drain plug use a Fumoto valve (www.fumotovalve.com).

Old 11-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink K . . .

Originally Posted by EnviroCon
I've never heard of that drain plug. I believe most of us that use a "valve" type drain plug use a Fumoto valve (www.fumotovalve.com).
I'm w/ you, never heard of it (or seen it at the O'Riely's here). Fumoto for me, w/ spring lever lock.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:13 PM
2006PSDSD
Senior User
I would be worried about vandalizim. Is there a way to lock the valve closed (so that some vandal can't open it)? I know thats pretty far fetched, but there are a lot of creative punks out there that like to do things like that just to cause someone else greif.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:22 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD
I would be worried about vandalizim. Is there a way to lock the valve closed (so that some vandal can't open it)?
This is what I did to secure the Fumoto valve, not against vandals, but it would work just as good against them. If they're willing to go through the trouble, and brought the tools to take off the clamp, then they could just as easily remove a stock drain plug.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:37 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
I also only have experience with the Fumoto... but it's been good, so far.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:45 PM
PHWLEE
Posting Guru
Very interesting valve. I would not have thought about draining the oil as a means of vandalism. I guess they would be targeting you specifically, and would bring a container to catch the oil, otherwise you would see all of the oil under the truck before you started the engine. But also, the oil light would light up once you started the engine. Nice world we live in.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:46 PM
2006PSDSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by EnviroCon
This is what I did to secure the Fumoto valve, not against vandals, but it would work just as good against them. If they're willing to go through the trouble, and brought the tools to take off the clamp, then they could just as easily remove a stock drain plug.
That's a good idea, I think that I may have to invest in one of those. Thanks

How long have you had it on you truck? No problems? Where di you order your from?

Last edited by 2006PSDSD; 11-30-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:00 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Regarding the Fumoto valve, they come with a little lock clip that you insert around it, that's sort of a second security feature. To open the valve alone, you have to press the lever quite a bit forward, and then swing it down. It does take a bit of effort, so it's not like it will come open on its own. Then for extra piece of mind, there is the clip you can install onto it, or the hose clamp like EnviroCon uses works well, too.

Here's where I got mine from:
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=33

Old 11-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Wink Check . . .

Correct, also I think the spring clip it comes w/ is harder to take off than the screww hose clamp shown in the previous pic. All you need is a dime vs. a strng grip and good pair of pliers.

To each his own . . .

Old 11-30-2006, 02:05 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
How long have you had it on you truck? No problems? Where di you order your from?
I've had it on there for a couple of years now with no problems. If you're worried about someone using a dime on the threaded clamp, just grind down one side so there's no longer a slot and use a socket to take it off. I use the threaded design over the spring type clamp because the threaded design is a lot sturdier and doesn't have those arms sticking out for things to get caught on. My fear isn't vandals, but sage brush or other desert plant life catching the lever (which, if you've ever driven through the stuff, you know it likes to catch on every little thing) and opening the valve. The odds are remote, but when you're a hundred miles from the nearest gas station in a foreign country, it's worth it to have insurance. Neither clamp was designed to prevent jackasses from opening it, but like others, I think the odds of someone intentionally opening the valve are low. I bought mine from www.fumotovalve.com

Old 11-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Wink U R Right . . .

The only way someone is going to do this, is someone who is out to get you for something you did. Just like sugar in the fuel tank was the rage in the 60's & 70's or a patatoe up the exhaust pipe.

It is an act of retribution vs vandals if it ever happens.

You know like catching somebody with your wife/girl in bed or something along those lines . . .

Old 11-30-2006, 02:15 PM
stevenn1
Senior User
I would be worried about vandalizim. Is there a way to lock the valve closed (so that some vandal can't open it)? I know thats pretty far fetched, but there are a lot of creative punks out there that like to do things like that just to cause someone else greif.
This was something I was wondering about. What a world we live in, a jealous punk keys a car just because it is nice. I guess they would have to know about the valve being there before they would do it. Also if someone already was planning on draining your oil, they would crawl under there with a wrench in hand anyways. So either way, if someone wants to be an punk - they will anyways.

Also my concern is that 'if something is too good to be true, it probably is'. This product makes oil changes more simple - as long as it works right and does not have a defect to it. The problem is that I am kind of paranoid now - always checking the dip stick & looking under my truck when I approach it. It is not worth loosing all my oil going down the road and costing me tons of $$$$ for a motor just for the oil changing convenience.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:28 PM
2006PSDSD
Senior User
Thanks for everyones help, seems like a good unit.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Thumbs up Check . . .

Great product, here u go . . .

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=33

Quick Reply: Easy Oil Drain Valves