1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Toyota power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 05:50 PM
olyellr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a complete toyota power steering setup from Mid-Fifty for my 55, & I cannot keep the return line fitting from leaking at the steering box end. I have tried teflon. Anyone else have this promblem? Remedies? I have talked with Mid-Fifty and they said they have had some complaints about this fitting & they're checking into it. Can I go to the local Toyota dealer and buy this hose? The pump end of the hose just attaches to the pump with a hose clamp. THANKS

Old 03-23-2002, 06:51 PM
jaye
Posting Guru

I went to the salvage yard and got both hoses fro an 85 toyota and I haven't had any trouble in 8 years.

Old 03-25-2002, 03:43 PM
51f1
Senior User
Post Toyota power steering leak

Friends don't let friends near ricers.

Old 03-25-2002, 07:50 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,360 Posts

You need to figure out what type of fitting you have, and what the box needs. I have never worked on a Toyota box, but I can list a few of the fitting types you may encounter. First there is pipe threads, which are tapered threads and require the teflon tape. I have never seen these used on a power steering box. Then there is the flare type fitting. The nut has straight threads, and it's only job is to push the tubing against the tapered seat down in the steering box fitting. If you have this type of fitting, check the condition of the seat and see if it is damaged, which would cause a leak. The other type of fitting I have encountered is the o-ring type. Again, the nut has straight threads and it's only job is to hold the tubing and o-ring in place.

Old 03-25-2002, 09:19 PM
olyellr
New User

Thanks for the input Franklin. It appears to me that the return hose fitting is a flare-type fitting, but the box looks like pipe threads with no tapered seat. I have tried teflon, but it didn't help. The flare-type fitting is snugging down tight to the box and no seat to seal against. I don't understand this, because I bought all the hoses & box as a complete kit from Mid-Fifty. Wouldn't you think they would no if it was wrong. As I posted previously, could I go to the local dealer and get the correct hose & fitting, or is there a fitting that would fit into the box for my flare-fitting to seat against. THANKS

Old 03-26-2002, 11:47 AM
markd
Junior User

I bought a junkyard box and at first didn't have that return fitting. It is not the same thread as the supply side. It is a wierd thread, I had to get the return fitting from a different junkyard, I think it fits most Toyota truck PS boxes in the late 70s-80s. You would think they would send the correct fitting, but from my research it is not a standard item. I couldn't buy a return hose with a fitting from any parts store I checked, they just listed bulk hose. Hope that helps. PS, I have had no leaks either.

Old 03-26-2002, 02:21 PM
55FordLover
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the salvage yards. Bought the entire toyota hookup for about $225..lines, pump, bolts, nuts, joint and the box

James
55 Ford 223/3spd (For Sale)
54 Ford 272/3spd (302/AOD soon) :-)

Old 03-26-2002, 07:54 PM
olyellr
New User

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll check the junkyard or Toyota dealer for the correct return fitting.JOHN

Old 03-26-2002, 11:10 PM
edwardldog
Posting Guru