1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

gp and gpr questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:47 PM
96powerstroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gp and gpr questions

first of all what is the big deal about the stancor gpr, i see that its bigger, but does it help with cold starts or will it just last longer? now about cold starts. i went out to start my truck today and let the glow plugs warm all the way, watched the amp meter until the load was gone adn still had a lot of white smoke and still had a hard start. i figure the gpr is working so is it the glow plugs? i have autolites in it now, should i switch to motorcraft?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:53 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
the stancors handle a larger so therefore theoretically they last longer. i think they are a bit more pricey ($45 opposed to $20) but worth it. next time mine goes out i will be going to stancors. they might help a lil with hard starts, more power gettin to them the better. sounds to me like you have a GP or 2 not warming

i would definitely go out and pull those autolites out now before you have problems! be very careful backing them out. the motorcraft ones are what you want

-cutts-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 11-28-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:00 PM
96powerstroke
Senior User
why does everyone here hate autolites, do they break easily, whats the deal?

Old 11-28-2006, 09:08 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
yea they are terrible about breaking and then falling down in the motor! sometimes it goes all the way into the oil pan but some unlucky folks have to pull the head to get it all out

-cutts-

Old 11-29-2006, 09:52 AM
timberjack
Senior User
I don't think there is any way they can get to the oil pan. I also remember reading about somebody's mechanic telling them he routinely drives the broken tips furthur into the head, and install a new one. The old one will break up and "safely" exit through the exhaust. Sounded like a lot of bs to me.

I did some experimenting with an old gp once. I pounded on it with a hammer. I thought it would be brittle and break, but all it did was deform for the most part, and it took a lot of force. But then that was a Motorcraft one, maybe the Autolite's are indeed brittle.

I think those folks that leave them in the combustion chamber and start the engine to "blow" the pieces out the exhaust, are actually forcing the glowplug piece into the soft aluminum of the piston, where it becomes a colsolidation. I don't see how they could break up into small enough pieces to be able to exit the combustion chamber through the valves, and then the turbo? I imagine when one day in the future, a cylinder head has to come off, you'd see a foreign piece of metal embedded in the piston top.

Anyone run into a truck that had a gp piece left in the combustion chamber, and taken the heads off at a future date for a related or unrelated repair? Did you seen any indication as to what really happens?

Old 11-29-2006, 12:14 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by timberjack
I don't think there is any way they can get to the oil pan.
you are right, not sure what i was thinking! maybe the tappet from the fuel pump?!?

-cutts-