1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Got my first Ford this week!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:06 AM
jbrese
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions on Exhaust and Air Filter types!

I've got a 2001 Ford F-150 Lariat stepside with a 5.4L, 2WD and 65k -- What is the best type of air filter and muffler to get the most mpg out of it? I've already changed the spark plugs -- fuel filter -- fuel injector cleaning -- flushed the radiator -- changed the oil using Vavoline and a Lucas addititve -- I've got power -- power I'm not worried about -- I need mpg -- mechanic told me that K&N, a performance chip and a Flowmaster would bump my mpg up, is that right? And what kind of performance chip? I've got other things wrong with it, but I'll worry about those later. ;-)

Last edited by jbrese; 11-26-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:17 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
For a muffler, I'm personally no fan of flowmaster, but it would work. I would rather a magnaflow, I think they sound better, and give the same performance.
But they both cost to much, and aren't loud enough for me, so I use glass packs on all my trucks.
I don't know which Cold Air Intakes work best on this model truck, but for the 04+ the volant is the best CAI they have.
From what I understand, chips don't improve mpg, just more power. The edge is a great programer, but for somthing that you can use for custom tunes, the bama x caliber 2 is the best they have out there(from everything I've heard and looked up on the new model trucks).

Old 11-26-2006, 01:55 PM
jbrese
New User
Originally Posted by MBBFord
For a muffler, I'm personally no fan of flowmaster, but it would work. I would rather a magnaflow, I think they sound better, and give the same performance.
But they both cost to much, and aren't loud enough for me, so I use glass packs on all my trucks.
I don't know which Cold Air Intakes work best on this model truck, but for the 04+ the volant is the best CAI they have.
From what I understand, chips don't improve mpg, just more power. The edge is a great programer, but for somthing that you can use for custom tunes, the bama x caliber 2 is the best they have out there(from everything I've heard and looked up on the new model trucks).
I'll do some research on the magnaflow. Is there any particular reason for the dislike of the flowmaster? I open to all advice!

Old 11-26-2006, 02:17 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't care for their tone to much, they're to quiet for me, and cost to much.
Magnaflow sounds better, but still alittle to quiet, and they cost about the same.

Other than that, a glass pack is bassically a free flowing muffler(almost zero restricions). It would give you more power just like the flowmaster and magnaflow, but alot cheaper, and I think they give a pretty good sound too.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:35 PM
searay220
Junior User
jbrese, ...Congrats on the truck! You are going to love the 5.4L . I get around 12.5 miles to the gallon in city with stock everything and I drive hard. I did change the wheels from the stock P-235 70R 16" wheels and tires to P-265 70R 17" wheels and tires . BIG difference in ride comfort and braking!
Yes guys I did have the computer reprogrammed for the larger diameter wheels and tires.

I would be interested in your before and after mileage figures with and without the mods.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Matthew13
New User
As for a chip for your truck I would go with edge. On an intake either K&N or Volant, Volant is a fully inclosed CAI, but K&N adds more hp. For exhaust it is personal preference either Magnaflow or Flowmaster seems to be the most popular.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:49 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
None of what you are looking at will increase mileage. The only mod that will is going to be Efans and Ud pullies. I gained 1.8mpg with them. I also did the intake, exhaust, tuner etc etc and they didn't do anything for mileage but the tuner definitely gives you some power. I like the FIPK's because they reduce your replacement air filter costs and can pay for themselves fairly fast if you find a good one cheap enough. I went with a 3" exhaust system with a Z33 Ravin muffler. I didn't want the obnoxious sound just a nice low grumble and thats just what I got. As bad as the Y pipe is on the stock exhaust it would be worth looking at replacing it while you are doing exhaust upgrades.