6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I should have bought a Dodge.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:46 AM
bkvanbek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should have bought a Dodge.

I see all the problems with the 6.0, I look at the Dodge Cummins forums and there just is not as many problems mentioned.

I want to do a Banks kit on my Ford but I am worried it will have problems. The Cummins appears to be perfect to modify.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Btravelen
Elder User
The Cummins is a fine engine, you just have to accept it in a Dodge. Unless.....http://www.fordcummins.com/

Old 11-26-2006, 10:00 AM
kanarman
Freshman User
so sell your ford know and hear that raspy 6cyl in the future.
not everyone is cut out to be a ford man.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:05 AM
spikebee
Senior User
Go ahead and buy the banks kit and beat the living crap out of your 6.0....they just don't like to be babied!

Old 11-26-2006, 11:19 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Yes, you should have bought a Dodge Cummins with the "good" ball joints and tracking arms, that tranny that loses a nut, a "53" block and the rotary injection pump with electric lift pump.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:08 PM
NavyPowerstroker
More Turbo
What is it that you are trying to accomplish in this post on a FORD truck enthusiast site?

Old 11-26-2006, 12:28 PM
spikebee
Senior User
Originally Posted by NavyPowerstroker
What is it that you are trying to accomplish in this post on a FORD truck enthusiast site?
<p> probably about the same thing as guy the other day who said that he was going to trade his <B>2000</B> Ford in for a Dodge because twice it wouldn't start in -15 weather.</p><p> Ummmmmmm...go ahead!</p>

Old 11-26-2006, 01:18 PM
2005 Ford
Senior User
I have a good friend who has an 03 cummins with about 110,000 miles on it. While the engine has been fairly trouble free, the rest of the truck looks like it has seen several tours of duty in Iraq. The cd player dosent eject cds any more, the drivers side pull handle ripped off the truck when he went to get in it, the whole dash makes a buzzing sound and the transmission goes on more hunting trips then I do. The point is I love his engine ( even though on our last camping trip I spanked him up every hill and I was pulling about 3000 more lbs ) but the truck and tranny just dont even come close to the Ford. My 1999 V10 is still in twice the condition as his 03. I think sticking with the Ford is the way to go.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:43 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bkvanbek
I see all the problems with the 6.0, I look at the Dodge Cummins forums and there just is not as many problems mentioned.
I don't know what Dodge site you visit but you probably hear about more problems here at FTE because there are more users here. For example:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
Threads: 542,697, Posts: 4,134,715, Users Registered: 373,210

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/index.php
Threads: 10,524, Posts: 107,118, Members: 4,500, Active Members: 1,362

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/
Threads: 156,128, Posts: 1,530,227, Members: 30,592

http://www.dodgeforum.com/
48080 Registered users have made 650637 posts in 103 forums. There are currently 84000 topics.

None of those forums can even hold a candle to the amount of users and threads etc etc...that FTE has. SO what does that mean? It means that with more users you will hear more complaints as there are more people to complain.

In pure numbers only those sites are like individual classrooms. FTE is the whole school.

I wish you well in your pursuit for the truck that is "perfect to modify"

Last edited by CAFordDude; 11-26-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:00 PM
eb2006
Junior User
All I would say is: Go buy one then!

I owned a 02 Dodge and had the rearend go out 3 times by the time I reached 30K miles and then the trans started to act up at 37K. Go buy your Dodge, maybe you will have better luck than I.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:38 PM
bkvanbek
Senior User
I guess I was trying to get some reassurance that I had bought the right truck. A truck I can modify without things breaking.

Any advise on how to best make reliable power, I was leaning toward the Banks Big Hoss or Power Pack? What is the difference between the two?

How about warranty; should I ask my dealer first, take the tuner out for service or just not worry about it.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:46 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bkvanbek
I guess I was trying to get some reassurance that I had bought the right truck. A truck I can modify without things breaking.

Not gonna happen - Rule 1:more power - more breakage.

Any advise on how to best make reliable power, I was leaning toward the Banks Big Hoss or Power Pack? What is the difference between the two?

Rule 2: Reliable and power don't go in the same sentence.

How about warranty; should I ask my dealer first, take the tuner out for service or just not worry about it.
Just don't worry about it - Rule 3: you add all those gizmos, & break something, YOU pay for it.

Reliability is always in inverse proportion to the number of power increasing modifications. You add a tuner then blow an engine, Ford's not gonna pay for it. You play, you pay. All simple physics.

Last edited by kw5413; 11-27-2006 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Bold Fonts
Old 11-26-2006, 03:46 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eb2006
All I would say is: Go buy one then!

I owned a 02 Dodge and had the rearend go out 3 times by the time I reached 30K miles and then the trans started to act up at 37K. Go buy your Dodge, maybe you will have better luck than I.
That's strange, I had an 02 dodge and the only bad thing that happened to it was the tranny servos went on a hunting expedition and sometimes didn't make it back in the right spot and that had happened with over 90k on the clock. That was the only problem that I had had with it, but that was a pretty dangerous one when it had happened in the middle of intersections and trying to beat oncoming traffic, but it wasn't as bad as other trans problems could be.

Old 11-26-2006, 04:44 PM
eb2006
Junior User
Originally Posted by tex25025
That's strange, I had an 02 dodge and the only bad thing that happened to it was the tranny servos went on a hunting expedition and sometimes didn't make it back in the right spot and that had happened with over 90k on the clock. That was the only problem that I had had with it, but that was a pretty dangerous one when it had happened in the middle of intersections and trying to beat oncoming traffic, but it wasn't as bad as other trans problems could be.
I agree, very strange. However, just like you see alot on this forum, it makes a HUGE difference if you get a competent tech to work on your truck. Regardless of the manufacturer, sometimes you just get a bad one and then compound that with a less than experienced tech and next thing you know you will want to sell the truck. I suspect that the reason for multiple rearend fixes had to do with not getting the backlash correct since the 2nd and 3rd time in for repair were both for pinion whine. What really frustrated me was when the Service Manager tried to convince me that the whine was normal. I could not see buying another Dodge at this point simply because I had no faith in my 3 local Dodge service departments. I never had the tranny issue diagnosed, I sold it instead. Also note the truck was stock (no mods).

Forums are a funny thing...you never know the full story behind some peoples posts/problems/statements. When I see posts regarding failures, I always wonder if their truck is modded or stock since in my mind, those are 2 totally seperate catagories. I agree with all who have said, "you play, you pay". Once you start modifying what a manufacturer has engineered, you're on your own. Can a Cummins tolerate mods better than a PSD? Maybe, I don't know since I can't afford to "pay if I play".

All I am sure of is that I have had my 06 F250 4X4 CC PSD for 4 months now and have 14K miles on it (stock). I have worked this truck harder than my Dodge and I have not had one single issue. As far as I am concerned, I made the right choice.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:12 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My dodge was stock too, the only thing I wished I had done was add a trans. temp gauge, but I didn't really know that you could add those things at the time, I thought they had to be factory installed. I would say both my trucks had/have to deal with the same workload, so time will tell if I have that transmission problem on this truck. Other then one issue, which at this point the tuner has fixed on this truck(for good or bad), I like this truck alot more then the dodge, so I will probably keep this one for a good deal longer then I did the dodge. However, I do have some other mods in mind that I think will serve me well as I don't really tend to drag this thing out, but it will make a more efficient hauler of my horses from show to show or get the tractors etc. where they need to go.

Quick Reply: I should have bought a Dodge.