1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Ilikebigtrucks
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Box

I've got a lot of play north of the Pitman Arm and I actually think it might just be the Rag-joint that appears to be hidden under a plastic cover. After quite some time spent above and below I can't figgure out how to get the big plastic cover off of the thing. I have't really noticed any clips or fasteners. Anyone had this dumb thing off?

Old 11-22-2006, 01:44 PM
wycowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should just slide up the colum, there is a u jount under it.. could be your problem is there. when I had play in my stereing wheel it was my gear box, pretty easy to replace.J

Old 11-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The steering gear is adjustable to a point. There is a lock nut on the top of the gear with a screw in the middle. It's directly on top of the pitman arm shaft. You can see the gear through the wheel well too.

Crack the nut loose and turn the screw in (Clockwise) about 1/4 turn tighten the lock nut and drive it. You can do this a couple more times but going to far can cause premature failure. Go slow! There is a plastic cover that needs to be unclipped off the fluid lines so you can get to it.