1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

To part or restore, now thats a good question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 07:17 PM
55FordLover
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-10-2002, 01:26 AM
coachj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 55 f100 it has bed terrible shape, fenders great shape, cab, great shape but gutted, front sheetmetal and running boards great shape.
No engine or trans, The cab has nothing, i mean litterally everything must be replaced, from dash instruments, steering column, windows, etc.

It has stock front and rear suspensions, and drum brakes.

Would i be better off parting out the few, but, very requested good parts. Or waiting and biding my time getting the parts for it. It looks a bit intimidating about right now. Ive had it for almost a month and all the research and stuff that ive been doing is making me feel a little uneasy about this one.

I am not going for complete restoration, but im thinking right now i need to get a new perspective.

Anybody that wants a frame, wheels, crappy bed and empty cab, ill exchange it for one that has mustangII IFS, 4wheel anti-lock brakes, 351 with 600 cfma edlebrock manifold and turbo AOD trans, to a 9in posi rear end, keyless remote entry system with electric windows.
:-staun
:-X12 LOL come on santa claus!!!!:-X12
Or if ya need the good stuff, let me know, and ill just keep my eye out for a better project truck. $1000

Yes this is someone who just sat down and ran the figures of what his dream machine is going to cost.

Old 06-12-2002, 08:43 PM
PJS55
Senior User

i'm just starting on a 55 f-100 and I wish I had cab and front fenders in excellent shape. I got mine with a good solid frame, stock front and rear suspension, gutted cab with corners that all need replacement, tough front fenders, real tough rear fenders, a box that's essentially junk and anybody around here (southwestern ontario, canada) that has seen it says its in pretty decent shape.

I'm planning on rodding it so the missing engine /trans is no issue, the custom gauges and bucket seats I want will just go in and nothing needs to come out. With the 5.0 EFI, I need new wiring any way.

It really becomes a question of what you want to do and how much you want to do yourself. i believe that there's a whole bunch of guys out there that would love to start with what you've got.

I say go for it. just my $0.02

John

Old 06-13-2002, 04:40 PM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plan A) Get another truck with worse sheet metal, and mix & match parts to make one good one. The easiest place to find parts is on another truck; otherwise you could be scouring swap meets and wrecking yards for months.

Plan B) Get a decent 70's/80's/90's truck, and put the cab & front clip onto it and you'll have all the luxuries like power front disc brakes, power steering, independent front suspension.

Old 06-14-2002, 09:22 AM
coachj
New User

Thanks for the tips,
Any info on the modifications of the chasis? Which model? plan b sounds like a great idea

Garth and Cody Jensen

Old 06-14-2002, 09:15 PM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Jun-02 AT 10:25 PM (EST)]For plan "B", I guess it's a tradeoff between:
1) what you can find and afford
2) what platform gives the features you want(2WD or 4x4, drum or disc or ABS, etc)
3) what fits; critical dimensions would be wheelbase and location of firewall, and width of frame and wheels.
4) or how much cutting and welding you're willing to do to make it fit

A minitruck (like a Ranger) might be a better fit than a full-size; and there's all kinds of aftermarket suspension junk if you want to slam it into the weeds later. Walk around used car lots and wrecking yards with a tape measure and look for inspiration. If you can get one, buy a scale model of your truck and test it against other scale models of newer trucks.

Old 06-16-2002, 03:23 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say you stick with what you have, Rome wasnt built in a day. And when you are done, you will really appreciate how far you have come. I just did almost all of the bodywork on my truck, and with the primer shot on it, its starting to take shape. Pace yourself, and do one thing at a time. I started with my engine and tranny. 2 1/2 years and counting. Most of all have fun!!!

Thats what I suggest.