General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford considered CAT but looks like Toyota has CAT now...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:04 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford considered CAT but looks like Toyota has CAT now...

I was at Barnes and Noble this weekend reading through about 4 different Diesel magazines and one of them had an article about Ford, Caterpillar, and Toyota. I guess Ford considered using CAT engines in their new Super Duty lineup, BUT CAT could only produce 100,000 engines per year and Ford needed 300,000 per year. SO Toyota has moved that direction and is going with CAT, and the all new 2007 or 08 (I cannot remember) 3/4 ton Toyota is slated to have a CAterpillar Diesel in it....Holy crap, that could be a threat to the big 3?? I can't believe Ford did not just take them up on the 100,000 motors they could provide?? The standard Ford Super Duty could come with the Power Stroke and Ford could charged a ton of $$$$ for a Caterpillar upgrade??They could have charged 7-10k and only sold 100,000 units with the CAT.........and sold the rest with Power Strokes. That would have excited many people and a lot of people would have moved to Fords, and then that would have put pressure on CAT to build more engines................I should go work at FORD and get these guys straightened out!! HAVE YOU DRVEN A TOYOTA LATELY!!!??? LOL

Old 11-14-2006, 06:23 PM
PoWeRsTrOkEdF250
Senior User
that was in diesel power magazine and it didnt read exactly how you are saying. I think you need to re read the article its not set in stone that anyone will get a cat diesel anytime soon

Old 11-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Hopefully the sheet metal on the Toy will be thick enough to withstand the extra vibration and torque. I know the frame bears the brunt of the load, but man are they skimping on the materials these days.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:20 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen comments numerous times from Caterpiller managment saying they are not interested in selling engines for the light truck market. Not to mention that their stuff is more expensive than even John Deere parts (of course Toyota parts are pretty expensive as well, might be a good marriage).........as far as I am concerned Toyota can have them, they have nothing to offer the light truck market except name recognition.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
it wouldn't do FORD any good to compete with itself by having two diesel engines in consumer trucks. Maybe for the commercial side of the buisness, but they already offer a CAT engine there in the Medium-duty trucks.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:27 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
they have nothing to offer the light truck market except name recognition.
You wouldn't believe how far people actually get with just name recognition. They also do have a very good reputation, they practically have the car market, and I know a lot of people that have the little toyota trucks, if they go into the diesel market, you'd be surprise the damage that they could do, with regard to the Big 3. Especially if these new epa engines have a few problems, people might go to that name recognition.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:55 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tex25025
You wouldn't believe how far people actually get with just name recognition. They also do have a very good reputation, they practically have the car market, and I know a lot of people that have the little toyota trucks, if they go into the diesel market, you'd be surprise the damage that they could do, with regard to the Big 3. Especially if these new epa engines have a few problems, people might go to that name recognition.
I don't know what engine Cat would have to offer the light truck market, as far as I know their smallest highway legal engine is an I-6 that is almost 4 feet long. You can already buy one in a Ford pickup (f650) for the $90,000 neighborhood. I just don't see it fitting under the hood of a Toyota. At any rate, I think the cost of having a CAT under the hood would be more than the pickup buyer will shell out, just like GM's real Hummer. Excellent name recognition, but just too much money for the consumer market.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by scottman70
I was at Barnes and Noble this weekend reading through about 4 different Diesel magazines and one of them had an article about Ford, Caterpillar, and Toyota. I guess Ford considered using CAT engines in their new Super Duty lineup, BUT CAT could only produce 100,000 engines per year and Ford needed 300,000 per year. SO Toyota has moved that direction and is going with CAT, and the all new 2007 or 08 (I cannot remember) 3/4 ton Toyota is slated to have a CAterpillar Diesel in it....Holy crap, that could be a threat to the big 3?? I can't believe Ford did not just take them up on the 100,000 motors they could provide?? The standard Ford Super Duty could come with the Power Stroke and Ford could charged a ton of $$$$ for a Caterpillar upgrade??They could have charged 7-10k and only sold 100,000 units with the CAT.........and sold the rest with Power Strokes. That would have excited many people and a lot of people would have moved to Fords, and then that would have put pressure on CAT to build more engines................I should go work at FORD and get these guys straightened out!! HAVE YOU DRVEN A TOYOTA LATELY!!!??? LOL
You are reading more into the story (editorial actually) about a CAT motor for the Big 3 or 4. It stated that Toyota is growing their line-up and product offering to compete in the SD market and "what about the idea of a CAT motor in a Toyota?" Ford uses a CAT motor in their 550 or 650, but uses Int'l for their F250, 350, 450.

The editorial was just speaking about the value of the CAT name and reputation and whether GM or Toyota would want to use it.... but it went on to say that GM builds their own diesels and has a pretty good one... and Toyota likes to design and build their motors due to quality.

Yes, CAT is a great name and great motor and would have to greatly increase their production capability if they were, or going to, do business with one of the "big 3 or 4".

Old 11-14-2006, 08:30 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
CAT, dog.......The 6.9 guys will love this....................I still want Ford to bone up and put a I6 Deere diesel in the SD cira the John Deere 4020 NA engine. No other diesel engine in any application could be so abused and still run like a deere.........

Old 11-14-2006, 08:35 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mrxlh
CAT, dog.......The 6.9 guys will love this....................I still want Ford to bone up and put a I6 Deere diesel in the SD cira the John Deere 4020 NA engine. No other diesel engine in any application could be so abused and still run like a deere.........
Yep...........sticking a Deere 404 in a 1978 Ford is one of the first projects on my list after I win the lottery.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by clux
I don't know what engine Cat would have to offer the light truck market, as far as I know their smallest highway legal engine is an I-6 that is almost 4 feet long. You can already buy one in a Ford pickup (f650) for the $90,000 neighborhood. I just don't see it fitting under the hood of a Toyota. At any rate, I think the cost of having a CAT under the hood would be more than the pickup buyer will shell out, just like GM's real Hummer. Excellent name recognition, but just too much money for the consumer market.
Is the 3306 that long? I don't remember it being that big, I'll measure the one we have mashing gas and give you some dimentions.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:03 PM
clux
Post Fiend
I think the new C7 is the smallest highway legal Cat under the 2007 emission standards. Over 40 inches long without a fan mounted on the front.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:40 PM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
Toyota is going with Isuzu to produce their diesels.

http://www.dieselpub.com/dp/news_det...ick=572&from=2

Old 11-14-2006, 10:28 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Hey isn't Isuzu owned or partnered with G.M. I thought the Duramax was somehow an Isuzu?????????????If that's the case, that is very interesting!!!

It kind of seems that the big 3 could be changing?? Well I should say the big 2 since Dodge and Daimler Benz already did their thing.....So maybe a GM and Toyota merge and a Ford and John Deere merge!!!LOL

Ok I'll stop the speculation! But you gotta admit things today sure are different than they were 10 years ago in the car market!!

I cannot for the life of me figure out why GM and Ford don't go out and get a BIG time diesel engine in their trucks like Dodge has! International OOOHHH whoopey doo! Dura crap...... CAT and John Deere are left, there ya go a GM CAT and a Ford John Deere!! I like that!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:45 PM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
from what I understand, GM and Isuzu partnered up in the late 90's and formed a corporation called DMAX, Ltd. There the Duramax as we know it was born. GM holds the majority of the stock in this recently formed(2003)company.
GM also continues to hold some stock in Isuzu, but it's a fraction of what it used to be just a few years ago. They're pretty much holdong on to that remaining stock as GM and Isuzu still collaborate on some med. duty vehicles (NPR series to name one)

I'm sure someone with some more GM lore can give you a better breakdown on the whole GM-Isuzu relationship.

Last edited by A. Michael Foxtrot; 11-14-2006 at 11:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford considered CAT but looks like Toyota has CAT now...