Getting Started

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a limited shop but if necessary, I can have friends help me. I don't have a lathe. I do have welder,drill press, air grinders. As long as I don't have to fabricate something on a milling machine I will be fine. I do know my way around a shop fairly well and can fabricate most anything that does not require very close tolerence. I don't consider mine a GOOD shop facility but I get by on a lot of things. I am comfortable fabricating things.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:11 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom D
I have a limited shop but if necessary, I can have friends help me. I don't have a lathe. I do have welder,drill press, air grinders. As long as I don't have to fabricate something on a milling machine I will be fine. I do know my way around a shop fairly well and can fabricate most anything that does not require very close tolerance. I don't consider mine a GOOD shop facility but I get by on a lot of things. I am comfortable fabricating things.
Ok Tom, Now we have to figure out if you want to build an "Appleseed" style processor or an "open" style processor like mine.

Have you looked at my gallery yet? I much prefer the open style of processor for many reasons, and it is easily built with normal fabrication skills. You do need a cutting torch and welder, but you say you have those. Troy [aka Kennedy ford] built an Appleseed processor first, but after coming by my shop and seeing mine he is now building one like mine. You should go to previous posts and look around at the different systems first and gain some knowledge on the differences between the systems. My system is basically a cleaner, feeding a horizontal heating tank, then a mix tank, then a series of settling tanks. How much bio do you intend to make on a daily or weekly basis?Are you going into this with friends, or by yourself? If you are only going to make small amounts you may be better off using an Appleseed style. If your going into this with friends and need to make larger amounts you would be better off with a system like mine.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Tom D
Elder User
At this point, I don't think I will be using that much fuel but I would still like to see a picture and description of your system. It seems like your's is the better way to go. I don't like the idea of all the water to dispose of. If you could steer me to an example of your system I would appreciate it. I will probably want to build your system anyway so I will eventually use more fuel if I am successful. I have not seen your gallery. I am not familiar with different chemicals but I can take instructions well and feel comfortable using them. I have seen examples of the Appleseed. Pretty simple.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:07 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Since you are familiar with the Appleseed, look at my system in my gallery. Click on my user name at the top of this post, and a drop-down menu will appear. Click view user gallery and you'll see my processing equipment.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:23 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont bother with the appleseed, go with the open.

Im biased because of my ol pal Don there.

Appleseed= trying to make a teen study how to drive a stick

open= just play in the empty parking lot

Fabs recipe at 25 gallon intervals
25 gal oil heat to 150
5 gal of methanol and 3 lbs of Koh (potash) mix in seperate container 1/2 hr
combine and mix for hour
pump to holding tanks for overnight seperation

Recoup methanol
seperate bio and glycerine by pulling valve to adjoining containers.
place bio in vacuum chamber ( pump from freezer will work as vacuum pump)
apply 15 lbs vacuum

repeat for glycerine and recoup up to 40 percent of methanol back between both materials.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Sounds good to me but I need to get plumbing andequipment diagrams to build this correctly. I know I can build it but I will need step by step instructions for building as well as operating the system. I din't know if Fabmandelux has that available for me or who does.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:59 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Tom, PM me your email address and I'll try and send you some drawings and additional pics. It really is very simple to build and operate. I just received a Pm from Jeep Taylor today [ another FTE member]. I've had several phone conversations and PM's with him, and he just finished his open processor [using my design] and has completed his first batches.......I'll help you through the steps also, and we'll have you up to speed in no time! The more people I can help get started, the more people that will not be sending there hard earned $$$$ overseas.............

FABMANDELUX.