1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1971 F100 over heating

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 05:18 PM
gonzo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1971 F100 over heating

I have a 1971 F100 with a 302 automatic in it. Im having a hard time keeping it cool. It over heats badly. Ive changed the water pump, thermostat, and even a new radiator. The radiator has the shroud on it. Any ideas out there that I might of missed. I cant go see my girl without my truck!!!!!! HELP!

Old 11-08-2006, 06:12 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Thermostat could be in backwards. What are the temps ranging? Is it boiling over or puking a little fluid out of the top because of needing expantion?

John

Old 11-08-2006, 06:19 PM
blackford85
Freshman User
Well gonzo there's alot of things you can start to look at, starting with the most common. Since you replaced the water pump there wood be no chance of a completely corroded impeller. The next thing I would do would be to check for air in the system by using a coolant system pressure tester. I fabbed an old rad cap with a shrader valve so I could use it with my old bicycle pump being careful not to go over the system specs. A good system flush wouldn't hurt either. Also make sure you do have the right thermostat (temp wise) in your motor.

Last edited by blackford85; 11-08-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Fritolay
Elder User
i would just like to mention one small thing new parts dont always mean good parts. test the flow of the pump.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:18 PM
gonzo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Fritolay
i would just like to mention one small thing new parts dont always mean good parts. test the flow of the pump.

O that puppy is flowing alright i removed the thermostat and it flows great.

The thermostat works too.. i tested it in warm water and it opened just fine way before it started to boil. Cooled down and closed just fine.

Radiator is brand new... I hate to say this, after using the new radiator and seeing it was still over heating i rigged up a cheby 4 row radiator and the darn thing still over heats. I have done tune ups, i have timed it (advanced it and retarded it) and no good results. This one is stumping me pretty badly. Im tempted to remove the darn thing and go threw it all and see if there is something clogged some where I dont know what else to do!!!!
Im bummed.

Last edited by gonzo; 11-09-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:24 PM
gonzo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by blackford85
Well gonzo there's alot of things you can start to look at, starting with the most common. Since you replaced the water pump there wood be no chance of a completely corroded impeller. The next thing I would do would be to check for air in the system by using a coolant system pressure tester. I fabbed an old rad cap with a shrader valve so I could use it with my old bicycle pump being careful not to go over the system specs. A good system flush wouldn't hurt either. Also make sure you do have the right thermostat (temp wise) in your motor.

Wouldnt the air escape after it warmed up a couple of time and me watching the water flow in the radiator with the cap off, i filled it as necassary.
Im gettting ready to shoot something like my brothers Chuby truck!!!! LOL

Old 11-09-2006, 12:26 PM
gonzo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jowilker
Thermostat could be in backwards. What are the temps ranging? Is it boiling over or puking a little fluid out of the top because of needing expantion?

John

Nope.. i have the pointy part facing towards the radiator!!!

Old 11-09-2006, 12:27 PM
gonzo
Freshman User
I have 2 electric fans working on the radiator. I thought that would of worked. Im just tired of spending money and it still doesnt work..

Any more suggestions, hints, etc...... is greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!!!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:28 PM
hotrodfordpickup
Senior User
do a compression check..i think you might find a blown head gasket...you have covered most the other bases...good luck...bill

Old 11-09-2006, 07:47 PM
94_turbo
Senior User
gonzo--as hotrodford said--also--engine ever been apart--could be headgasket flipped wrong way--

Old 11-10-2006, 06:25 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
I still would like to know what the temps are running, and if it is blowing all of the fluid out, or just a little.

John

Old 11-10-2006, 06:48 AM
jdbanks
Elder User
Are the electric fans running the right direction? Does it overheat going down the road or just when you come to a stop?

Had a similiar perplexing problem on an '84 Ranger. Any time I slowed down the water would boil over. We replaced near everything, finally threw a new radiator cap on it, (half to humor my mother, half shear grasping at straws) and it never ran hot again.

It almost worried me more having the truck not boiling over. It just didn't feel right being able to stop at a red light.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:40 AM
workingdog
Senior User
Yes, when is it overheating? How hot is it getting? What kind of electric fan and controller are you using?

Peter

Old 11-10-2006, 02:42 PM
gonzo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jowilker
I still would like to know what the temps are running, and if it is blowing all of the fluid out, or just a little.

John
Sorry joe!! the needle is way over the "H" and last saturday it literally popped out a freeze plug. NO JOKE!!!

I was ticked... o hum

Last edited by jowilker; 11-10-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:46 PM
gonzo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by workingdog
Yes, when is it overheating? How hot is it getting? What kind of electric fan and controller are you using?

Peter
Using a 180 temp sending switch and 30amp relay. Im using 2 electric fans. That things move air like crazy.

Im just tempted to take the darn thing out and go through it all making sure all the water passages are ok. I cant think of anything else. Little frustrated here fellas.. sorry!! grrrrrrr GRRRR LOL

Last edited by jowilker; 11-10-2006 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 1971 F100 over heating