1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Painting engine parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 02:31 PM
58ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting engine parts

Old 09-11-2002, 12:43 PM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Painting engine parts

I found a couple sources for the Ford Green on my '53 215 ci overhead 6: Krylon #2007 and Dupli-Color #1617. I assume Krylon owns the Dupli-Color brand because I was taken to the Dupli-Color web site when I clicked the Automotive Line link on the Krylon site. The Krylon Engine Enamel is good to 300 degrees while the Dupli-Color Engine Enamel is good to 500 degrees. Krylon recommends painting over their Ruddy Brown primer. The Krylon Ruddy Brown makes no mention of being heat resistant so I don't know how well it will hold up. Dupli-Color seems to recommend painting without primer. The Bill Hirsch web site has a special engine primer but no Ford Green top coat. Would anyone like to share their experience in this area?

I read somewhere that cast iron can be painted without primer whereas stamped steel like the lifter and valve covers should be primed. I would like to do this the right way the first time so I don't have to repaint parts a few years down the line. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin Kessler
1953 Ford F-100

Old 09-11-2002, 05:24 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Painting engine parts

Kevin

You should not have any heat issues with any paint labeled for use on engines. It would not hurt to prime but I have had good luck even when I did not prime. I have used regular auto paint left over from the body and heat doesn't seem to bother it. With the exception of exhaust of course. Getting the cast iron clean enough for good adhesion can be a tricky thing. Cast just keeps on bleeding oils. Brake cleaner and lacquer thinner work well to get it thoroughly clean and leave no residue.

'fenders