1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New old truck...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 03:01 PM
samleather
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New old truck...

Hey, everybody!
I just "inherited" an old F100 (probably a 1960) and a pile of parts, junk, and tools from my mother in law. It seems her boyfriend left the country, (We live in Texas; you can fill in the blanks...) and it's time to clean out the back yard...
Anyway, I've done my share of restoration work and car repair, but this job is a little daunting. I haven't had the time or opportunity to really investigate the truck yet, but I've obviously got a bit of a mare's nest of bits and pieces of thrucks. So, I'm hoping for some ideas as to where I even start to deal with this!
I posted some pictures of the monster in situ in my gallery... Thanks!
--Sam

Old 10-09-2002, 04:59 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New old truck...

Yep it's a 60. And it looks to need a ton of work. I can see why he fled the country, butchering up such a fine machine. My advise to you is to get more/less complete truck and use this for parts. The sheetmetal appears good but the floor is toast. More parts are'nt there than are. If you decide to pass don't just junk it I'm sure there are folks needing parts that will help you turn a profit on it.Good Luck, Rich

Old 10-09-2002, 05:15 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
New old truck...

Well thats a pretty rough 60' ya got there. Looks like it has a later model ford engine in it. If you have the time and the money I could be a nice truck. Few questions for ya, How is the frame, Any servere rust, Just how well of a mechanic are you? I know it needs alot of parts make sure he used right parts for a sixty. It would make a nice parts truck for something that has a good drivetrain bad body combo. Hope this help check the web store on here just to even get a idea on what some of the parts cost. Hope any of this helps.

Just my to cents

Old 10-09-2002, 05:53 PM
samleather
New User
New old truck...

I don't think it's actually quite as bad as it looks; the truck as it sits is actually just sitting on a new set of rails. It seems like he got interrupted after he tore down the truck, but before he got anything else done. The original tranny is in the shed under cover, and the sheet metal (aside from the danged firewall... grrr!) is gorgeous! Apparently he was planning to turn it into a crew cab. I've seen a few other trucks he worked on, and they're pretty good jobs.

The frame in the last two pictures is , I THINK, the original frame, so I assume I'm looking at a frame-up rebuild. At least the taking apart phase was largely taken care of! I've already resigned myself to new electronics, brakes, and rubber. Sigh.

I also need to figure out how to identify the zillion or so random parts floating around the yard... Specifically, there three trannys, a HUGE engine block, and three rears. Where do I look for identifying marks/plates/or whatever on these parts?

Old 10-09-2002, 07:48 PM
41Clay
Elder User
New old truck...

Looks to me like you have a good prodject there. Seems like most of the important stuff is there. Do you have the title or know that's it's not in someone else's hands? I would check that before investing anything into the truck. Seems like the body work should be a breaze with the exception of that hole in the floor, but that shouldn't be too hard to fix. It would be a good idea to check out everything that has been done to this truck, like what the engine and tranny mounts look like and if they will hold up. And decide what you want to do with it, dialy driver/show or custom/restored. If you want to keep the engine and transmission it would be a good idea to pull them out and get them checked on and rebuilt. A good place to start once you've decided what you want the truck for is the chassis, get the suspention and brakes in good shape, then put in the engine and the rest of the drive train, then start on the body, then do all the wiring, and last the interior. Good luck with it and have fun!

Old 10-09-2002, 08:14 PM
41Clay
Elder User
New old truck...

O, and about the engine parts, posting pics of them would be an easy way to find out, and a book that I got from a Hastings called "Practical Engine swapping that lists alot of transmissions and is a good sourse of info. Do you know what make the block is? Sounds to me like it may be a MEL("HUGE") never seen one but heard about their size, they came in 462 430 and 383 sizes. If it was an FE it would have part of the intake under the valve covers, and the 383 series 429 and 460s are ugly. To tell the codes on them they should have a letter that stands for the decade (C=60s, D=70s) and the second should be the year. I don't know if this worked for the 50s or what year it started but it should work through parts today. A C4 trans should have a square pan with 11 bolts, a C6 an almost square pan with an indention on the back right with 13 bolts, a cruise-o-maticis rectangular with 15 bolts, and the Ford-o-matic has a round stuck out part on one side and an indention on the other side with 14 bolts. Hope this helps, and is all correct.

Old 10-09-2002, 08:55 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post New old truck...

the photos show the engine being a late model small block Ford, 289, 302, 351W. The rearend is a 9" Ford which is correct for the truck. Even still has the tag to identify the gear ratio in it.

Old 10-09-2002, 10:11 PM
41Clay
Elder User
New old truck...