1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

All Better Now!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 04:55 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Better Now!

Well, about a month and a half ago I posted with injector problems. Since then I have installed Beans Tranny Savers and a custom burned DP Tuner chip from Beans. WOW! My truck really rips now. Bryan and Chris from Beans are great people to deal with. If anyone is thinking about injectors or any other aftermarket product for their PSD I would give them a call. You may find somewhere else that may be a few dollars cheaper for some things but you won't get the customer service. They treated us right so they will get all of our buisiness from now on.

Then new injectors work great. If anyone is thinking of replacing injectors without going to wild I would highly recommend the tranny savers. Also the DP tuner chip is great. Easy to install. I have three settings on mine. I have a 40 HP tow, 60 HP tow, and 80 HP economy. I just put the chip in on Monday so I don't have any mileage figures yet but it really has good power in all settings.

Just wanted to thank all of you who recommend Beans on here and put my $.02 in.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:18 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
awesome was kinda wondering what was going on after your problems with truck. glad you got some good stuff. your gonna love it.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:51 PM
johnguc
Senior User
How does your truck do on mileage now, better or worse?
And how does Beans repair policy work for retuning the cores, how bad is an injector before they charge you the $100 for repair?
If theyre gonna charge the entire $800 core for repair I'd rther they just be up front about it.

Also did you consider the improved IDM along with the tuner chip or instead of?

Old 10-27-2006, 06:25 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by johnguc
How does your truck do on mileage now, better or worse?
And how does Beans repair policy work for retuning the cores, how bad is an injector before they charge you the $100 for repair?
If theyre gonna charge the entire $800 core for repair I'd rther they just be up front about it.

Also did you consider the improved IDM along with the tuner chip or instead of?
ryan will only charge you for the neccesary parts that must be replaced when he gets your cores. he is a very reputable person and also honest. the reason they cant tell you upfront is because they need to disassemble them to see whats up first.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:29 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
1997F-350, Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I have been scrambling trying to get my truck going in time for hunting. Its all good now. Thanks for oyur help. Are you back on land now?

Johnguc, I'm not sure on the mileage yet. I just put the chip in on Monday. It wasn't very good without the chip with the new injectors that is why I got the chip. I have driven it about 75 miles and it seems to be way better. I will be going on a 600 mile trip to go elk hunting in a few weeks so I'll have some good numbers in a few weeks. I was getting 15mpg with the stock injectors running with no load or trailer and around 10 with my 9000# toyhauler.
As far as Beans policy. I bought the injectors and paid the $800 core charge. They sent my Tranny Savers right out. They aner in Tennessee and I am in Oregon. I had them in about a week. I sent them my old injectors and they went through them and sent me my $800 core charge back. If they have to start replacing pistons or barrels ar do any machine work on them they will charge you. If they are in good condition you will get most or all of your money back.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:34 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
johnguc, I thought of doing the IDM before this all happened but decided to just go with the chip. Chris at Beans is an awesome guy to deal with. I told him what I used my truck for and what I was looking for and he set up the chip perfectly. I may do the IDM later maybe next summer but for now I have done far more than I had planned in such a short time period.

Mark

Old 10-27-2006, 08:27 PM
johnguc
Senior User
Sounds like it really needs the chip to run right.
What was it running to rich or something?

Too bad you dont have any feel for the mileage yet.
That is probably my main concern that I would get worse mileage.
I allready feel I get lousy mileage but I dont know the exact mpg.
I just know that Im using a half tank a week when I was using about a tank a month when I first bought it.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:58 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
johnguc, Yes I think it was running rich because of the new injectors being 130cc instead of 100cc and the injector timing wasn't right with the stock program. If I were to venture a guess on the mileage I would go out on a limb and say @18~19 mpg if you can keep your foot out of it and the stupid grin off your face.

I would say that if I were you and you were thinking of doing injectors,do it. You can get the mileage you are looking for or at least better than what you are getting now.

Mark

Old 10-27-2006, 09:36 PM
johnguc
Senior User
That would be awesome more power and better mileage.
Did beans tell you that you would get better mileage over stock if you keep your foot out of it?

Old 10-28-2006, 02:46 AM
1997F-350
Postmaster
its a fact. but the fun factor is pretty hard to lose. i still roll coal all day every day after a year. i dont think i will ever stop and i get 16 mpg doing it.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:18 PM
johnguc
Senior User
What different programs did you guys get with the chip?
From beans website it looks like you have 5 to pick ?

My truck is a van so Im not really looking to hotrod it around much.
But I wouldnt mind kicking the hp up when I use it to tow.
Ive got a 10,000 lb box trailor and a smaller 16foot open that I haul a tractor and stuff with.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:16 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
With the DP Tuner chip, which is what I got, you can get up to 16 settings on one chip. They are selectable by a switch that you can change while you are driving. On the fly. I got three settings. Two tow settings and an economy setting. My first tow setting is a 40HP increase over stock. The second is 60HP, and the economy setting for driving with no load is 80HP. With the injectors I bought, They told me the HP would be more like 60,80,100. I don't have any dyno numbers on this yet but you can really tell the increase in HP. Since my truck ran kind of rough with the injectors with no chip, I opted to not get a stock setting on my chip because I would never use it.

Mark

Old 10-29-2006, 01:46 PM
johnguc
Senior User
This really sounds what I want to do because I have 2 different trailors.
I really like the idea of an economy setting.

But one thing I'm not sure you said you increased 80hp for the economy setting isnt that higher than the 2 tow settings?
How could that be an economy setting?
Do you have to pay for each seperate program?

Old 10-29-2006, 01:58 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
Yep, the economy setting is higher than the tow settings. You can only increase your HP so much for towing or you will smoke the tranny. It can only take so much torque. The economy setting utilizes the best injector timing for optimum economy. It is just a bonus that it is such a drastic increase in HP. That is why I say you will get an increase in mpg if you can make yourself keep your foot out of the throttle. I have my moments but so far have logged about 150 miles on about a 1/4 tank. It would take about 1/2 a tank before.

Yes you have to pay like $45 for each setting I think. That is why I didn't get the stock setting since I would never use it.

I tow two different trailers also, that is why I got two tow settings. I have a 9000# travel trailer/toyhauler that we haul four quads and all our camping stuff in. Also I tow a 3500# racecar every weekend during the summer. It is pretty mountainous here in Oregon and when going riding we have to cross the Cascade mountain range if we go east or the Coast range idf we go west. So I needed more pulling power for that.

Mark

Old 10-29-2006, 05:02 PM
johnguc
Senior User
So you use the higher hp setting for the bigger trailor?
Are you woried about the transmission?
Mine has 250,000 on it.
I would assume if you towed with the economy setting youd be risking damage.

Quick Reply: All Better Now!