1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strobe Kit Reccomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 AM
fei1
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strobe Kit Reccomendations?

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you have installed a strobe kit on your trucks. I was considering getting one for my truck because of all the times I need something more than the traditional four-ways like following a piece of equiptment on a road and snow plowing. I like the way the white stroes stand out and I have been pricing a few different brands I found in AW Direct. Just curious as to what brand you went with, where you bought it, and if it the power box makes any noise when the strobes are on?

Thanks for the info,
Mitch

Old 10-17-2006, 12:21 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mitch-

I've been doing installs in emergency apparatus for quite a few years, and I'm a volunteer myself, so my own vehicles are equipped with lighting. Personally, I'd stick with a known, name-brand. Whelen would be my choice.

In general, when doing hide-away strobes on a Super Duty, I'll install tubes in the front turn signal housings, brake lights, and reverse lights. However, this presents a significant problem... red and white lights are illegal in almost every state unless you're an authorized emergency vehicle. I see that you're in PA from your profile... they are extremely picky about lighting up there. Red lights are ONLY authorized on marked, department-owned vehicles (fire and police) or on the personal vehicle of a fire chief/assistant chief. White lights are authorized for any emergency vehicle... however, in the emergency services world, there's a big push to eliminate white to the rear of vehicles (and even to the front unless in the moving mode) as they tend to blind drivers.

Refer here:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...hap173toc.html
http://members.aol.com/StatutesP3/75.Cp.45D.html

If you are caught with illegal lighting, you're going to have a bit of explaining to do to a friendly cop. If you're using the lighting in the course of your business, you may end up with some unwanted egg on your face.

In your state, amber and green are the only colors legal for a non-emergency-services person to run. Personally, I'd stick with amber. Also, I would consider not going with strobes... hideaway strobes are fairly expensive (a decent kit will run you $300-$400), they're hard to install, and they draw fairly significant current (15A - can't leave them running with the truck turned off.) Instead, I'd go LED.

Depending on your budget, I'd consider a few things:
http://www.sirennet.com/whrs-02zcr.html
These are simple, self-contained LEDs that require no external flasher and can synchronize with other lights. They are extremely bright for their size. I would consider mounting a pair of these lights along the tailgate, bumper, somewhere lower and to the outside corners.
Then, I'd look at mounting something along the top of your rear window... maybe an LED directional arrow like this:
http://www.sirennet.com/whtam83.html

You end up with a very effective lighting system that's 100% legal and a whole lot easier to install.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:47 PM
dsldandually
Senior User
tvsjr
just a quick ?? what is so difficult about installing hide away strobes??? I've been doing installs for quite some time and it sure aint rocket science. The hardest part is gettin up the Ba11$ to cut one inch holes in your light housings.

Mitch
Get yourself a good whelen kit with 6 outlets and amber bulbs put one in each reverse light and one in each of your bed lights on either side of your third brake light and then in you front marker lights. I've talked to acouple engineers at whelen and there may be some smaller strobe tubes coming out in the future that might possibly fit in the clearance lights on top of the cab. (but you didnt hear it from me)
But like tvjr said beware of using clear stobes and red, if the cops want to bust your a$$ for havin them they will and hard. Up here in Maine they pretty much have the same laws regarding lights but they also tend to turn a blind eye. It all depends on how you are using them

Old 10-17-2006, 06:04 PM
CmprSpecial
Elder User
I have lots of amber on my truck. I started with a mini halogen rotator on the headache rack, amber strobe tubes in the turn signals up front. Two amber leds in the grill up front, and four leds between the tailgate and bumper in the rear. I have 2 halogen lights that wig-wag on the headache rack also.

I think the leds are the neatest set up. I got them from http://www.rimindustries.com. They are called "leds by the inch" because you can order them in one inch increments. You can get an led "strobe" controller for about $20, then add led modules to your hearts content. A 3 inch module is about $15, to you can add them as you can afford them. They aren't super bright like the $70 units, but since you can buy lots of them and place them almost anywhere you can get quite a light show.

For the strobes up front, I scored a Tomar power supply on ebay and paid $40 for 2 hide away tubes and cables. I can't remember the site I bought the tubes at, but will post the link when I get to work tomorrow.

Here is a pic of the back rack with the wig-wag and rotator http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL867...8/91235450.jpg

Old 10-17-2006, 06:20 PM
CyberJay
Senior User
I've been running white strobes ONLY during snow plow operation for two years. Passed MANY cops, and no one has said a word. I believe the key to using any type of "emergency" lighting is to be sure you use it responsibly. I do know a landscaper who had a cheezy ricer set or strobes that you could barely even see... he got a few tickets cause he used them when he was in a hurry to get somewhere..

I've got a Federal Signal 90w kit that I'm real happy with, but I'm FAR from an expert on the lights. I got mine from lshlights.com.

All that said, if I was gonna do it all over I'd probably look at hiding some LED flashers around the headliner. All the cops have LEDs around here now and they are very noticeable.

-Jay

Old 10-17-2006, 06:38 PM
fei1
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the help and valuable information. I'm still not sure what i want to do. I do help out my neighbor quite a bit during the winter with plowing. He has an autobody shop and a tow/repair busines. We primarily plow two of the state police barracks and some other local businesses. I'm pretty sure that the police could care less if i'm using them while plowing there lot because more times than not they drive like crazies in the lot and almost have ran right into me because they are worried about getting into a clean spot reguardless of who is in their path(not that I'm saying they are bad drivers!). And being that they are located in an industrial park I have to head out into the main roads alot to clean the entrances and tractor trailers rarely are aware that I'm even there. Anyway I'm gonna talk to my neighbor and see what he thinks and I do know several of the policeman so i will ask them. The installation is the last thing I'm worried about, and don't plan on using them to get somewhere fast.

Thanks again,
Mitch

Old 10-18-2006, 03:31 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Dsldan - nothing "hard" about it, just time consuming. Most of my installs require custom-length cables, which consumes time. Even running factory cables, it takes about twice as long to add strobes as it does to add simple LED heads. Plus, as you pointed out, you get to saw a big hole in your light housings. It also means you have 600V strobe cable floating around your vehicle to interfere with things (radios, etc.)

Installing strobes on either side of the third brake light is a *bad* idea. The housing is simply too small, and will melt with prolonged use. I generally run at least a supply pushing 15 watts an outlet... sometimes a higher-end model running 22.5watts/outlet. Even with the 15, we've had problems with Crown Vic PI reverse lights melting... and the cargo light holes are significantly smaller. You're asking for a problem.

Also, I've had very poor experience with the colored tubes. Generally, the color is washed out, and the power output is dismal compared to the clear tubes.

CmprSpecial suggests the LEDs-by-the-inch. Those LEDs are OK... however, they're "generation 1" units. They have very little off-axis punch, where heads like the LIN3 that I recommended have very good off-axis coverage.

CyberJay is right... most cops aren't going to say anything about white. DO NOT run red or blue, period. You *will* get in trouble. If you choose to run white, know that you are violating the law... if you get stroked a ticket because of it, don't whine. You knew what you were getting into.

Also, white tends to be rather blinding in a rear-facing configuration. These days, none of my installs have white to the rear in the blocking or parking modes. It's just a bad idea. The "freeze-frame" effect generated against snow can be even more hazardous.

Disclaimer: My POV ('05 F350 CC/SB PSD 4x4) has a total of 16 Whelen gen-3 LED lightheads on it, an 8-head LED traffic advisor, and wig-wags. I've done installs on dozens of vehicles ranging from CVPIs to custom-cab fire apparatus. I've got at least some clue what I'm talking about... :-)

Old 10-21-2006, 02:44 PM
dsldandually
Senior User
tvsjr
the only reason I suggested the amber tubes was there was some concern about whites, I run white tubes in everything, front marker lights, rear tail lights, and bed lights. I have not had any problems with it "melting the housing either and these lights stay on for hours sometimes

Old 11-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Bernie Lomax
Senior User
This is a good thread. Thanks for the info guys.

Where do you put the strobe power supply? Under the hood? Or in the cab? I think I might just go with an amber light bar for this winter. I'd love to do the strobes, but not sure how many more warm Saturdays I have to install them.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:49 PM
CyberJay
Senior User
The power supply for my strobes is NOT water proof. It's behind the rear seat. The install on the strobes is quick if you get a 1" unibit. But remember to check out a hidden type LED setup.. maybe in the grille or against the headliner inside the cab. The first scratch on my truck came from a mag mount strobe on the roof.

-Jay

Old 11-01-2006, 06:04 PM
fei1
Mountain Pass
Hey Jay since we are back on the topic, does your power supply squel or chirp when the strobes are on?

Old 11-01-2006, 06:34 PM
CyberJay
Senior User
Nope not at all. With the seat out I can hear some QUIET clicking.. but when I put the seat over it it's completely silent.

-Jay

Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
There are a few watertight power supplies out there, but they've also got special Deutsch waterproof connectors on them too. They're weird and expensive. Go for a generic power supply mounted in the cab.

Fei1 - some packs make noise. My Whelen packs make a high-pitched whine/ticking - it's faint, but there. What you're hearing is the DC-DC converter working to generate high voltage (450V or so) to charge the caps to power the strobe tubes.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:26 AM
fei1
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the help guys. I was in one of buddy's trucks the other day who has strobes b/c he is a fire fighter and does snow removal. He turned them on for me and I heard the high-pitched whinning and I was wonderinf if all systems did that. He said his kit only cost about $200. Unfortunately I don't remember the name and the sound was kind of loud but I am relating the noise level to the inexpense kit.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:11 AM
dirty1
Senior User
Just to let you know while you are plowing you might not hear the sound of the strobe pack. I know that I can not hear it in my truck (but it is a diesel) and I have three 6 head Whelen packs behind the drivers seat. I have clear stobes in the headlights, front directionals, taillights, backup lights. I also have four behind the grille and I have four of the small LED's from whelen also behind the grill. With more on the way for the rear of the truck.

The clear strobes do pose a problem while driving on the street, if that is what you will be doing, but while you are just plowing a driveway of a parking lot there should not be much of a problem. It all depends, I am comfortable with the strobe light effect due to work.

Good luck.

Dirty

Quick Reply: Strobe Kit Reccomendations?