used oil is the way to go

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:05 PM
MilesFox
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
used oil is the way to go

si i read here about used oil to burn as fuel. so i gave it a shot.
im running 50 50 mix, got 100 gallons of oil and im about to go pick up 100 more all the while there are another 50 waiting for me from the first source.

while sourcing used oil a lot of places have contracts for removal, but i found 2 auto places that have oil in drums for me to take.

this to me is most efficiant because nothing has to be brewed, processed, or modifications to the truck, just dump oil in the tank and its all set!

truck runs pretty good, although i had a hard time starting this morning(all of a sudden cold snap) but i think its more related to the glow plugs needing replaced and i didnt have the block heater plugged in.

but i got a full tank with about 30 bucks of fuel and the rest with oil for the equivilency of 60-8- bucks worth of fuel.

i plan on going over the road for a found trip of a good 5-600 miles, hopefully i can keep my fuel costs within 75-100 bucks and a 55 gallon barrel on board.......

Old 10-12-2006, 06:21 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your gonna hear a I told you so when you have problems. Please take a moment to read the above arguements. Basically its your engine and your wallet. I tried and failed at the oil and have 8 injectors laying in the garage, a headache from the filters plugged and injectors while on the road, scored cylinders as well as blow by.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Check out this thread it may change your mind

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...motor-oil.html

Old 10-12-2006, 11:33 PM
MilesFox
New User
so far what i have read there were more replies that were neutral than were bad. all i know is that i have a full tank for 30 bucks, and ab out 250 gallons of free oil. doing the moviing business so this increases my profits,all the better since i made half the cost of my truck back after only having it a month.

i have a u-haul dc-z 1990 ford f350 navistaqr 7.3. im not afraid of changing parts if i have to. the glow plugs need changed but thats ok since i have got a set that was laying around at work. and i work at u-haul so i can get parts from them at cost, or get a discount at napa for the same reason. for what i paid for the truck any repairs are worth the cost, and i am less afraid of speculated problems vs the fact i save on fuel costs.

such as with subarus, on the subaru forums, it is argued about running the timing belts uncoverd vs with covers in place. open belts are speculated to be prone to premature failure due to exposure. but i run open belts all day thru snow, mud, 6 foot tall grass, gravel, basically jeep and atv trails with no problem. like i am afraid to change a broken timing belt? what should i be worried about. so what if i could break a timing belt, it only takes 10 minutes to change with no covers vs 2 hours if you break a "protected" belt.

anyway, saving fuel cost and having quantity on hand are more convincing than speculate problems with wmo. i have read about more problems with veg oil relating to fuel pump failure. anyway with making bio or running svo even if the source was free there is still cost with preparing or modifications vs straining used oil with an old t-shirt.

anyway i will post my findings and results. i'll keep a spare fuel filter on hand just because i can get one for cheaper.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:53 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your truck, Your Money, but I still think it's

FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:21 PM
MilesFox
New User
Old 10-14-2006, 11:38 AM
MilesFox
New User
what kind of truck was it with the oil fuel failures?

Old 10-14-2006, 03:23 PM
pud
Posting Guru
might at least want to pony up the cash for a good filtration system...even if you just pump from one barrel to another through a series of filters. Ive never heard of using whole engine oil as fuel...but I know furnace oil is low grade diesel. Basically the same thing you are doing by thinning the oil with diesel. Take a look at the hole sizes between threads in a t-shirt, they are way larger than I would use as a final filter before pumping it into my truck. Youre saving a load of cash, to you its worth the risk...but if youre going to run engine oil as fuel you could use some of that saved cash as an investment for preventative maintenace to your fuel system and engine. The oil not being filtered well is going to have particles in it that bore out the size of your injector nozzle diameter to the point where the fuel is going to puddle and decrease the effectiveness of your engines oiling system, decreasing life of the engine. Plus if you dont filter it really well, I cant imagine the build up of crap thats going to accumulate in your cylinders. Maybe next month maybe next year, maybe 10 years from now, but without the preventative maintenance your engine will be junk.
Here is a picture from under the intake on the 5.0L in my 1990 bronco, this junk is not dirt or any foreign particles (except the pebble I dropped in and the antifreeze), it is all junk from crappy oil. Look at the amount of buildup there is from crappy oil.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:28 PM
MilesFox
New User
well i will consider your suggestions about the cons of running used oil. im keen on the idea right now for the novelty of it, and also since right now the u-haul truck has been my daily driver for the past month. but im going after my subaru in indiana this week.

as far as off settong costs, i got an auto transport trailer from u-haul to go between milwaukee and toledo ohio(to grab a limo) for 5 days for 53 bucks. that will make up for fuel costs as well.

so once i have my car back the truck can sit around and the consumption of used oil wont be so often. but the stock i have already for used oil im going to filter and process to have on hand to use as needed, such as if i have a full tank, use up 1/4 tank, and top off with the oil every now and then between moves, and the moves themselves will pay for straight diesel fill ups.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:41 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I can tell you that a local grocery store company who has thier warehouse in town here, used to run used oil in thier semi's thought it was a good idea ran approx 10-15% and only used thier own oil from doing oil changes on the truck and ran it through a proffesional cleaning system made just for this purpose. The max ever ran was 25% as a trial ended up they now pay someone to take thier used oil the $9000 cleaning system sits in a corner and they use nothing but B20 and regular diesel. the reason well simple thier fuel filter costs tripled, the onroad repair bills for fuel related problems doubled, the amount of injectors replaced on an anual bases quadrupled (and at over $200 each your really going to like replacing them every year) And they replaced fuel pumps on almost half the trucks and this was so rare until they started running used oil they didn't even keep fuel pumps in stock but afterwards well they kept several in stock. Well it took them 2 yrs after they quit using it to quit having injector problems and fuel pump problems but hey it's your truck hope it works out for you, but when it triples your operating costs don't come back and wonder why no one warned ya cause several have.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:50 AM
R Pope
Senior User
A neighbor ran used oil in a GM 350 diesel for several years with no trouble. He did set up a barrel with filters dripping into a second barrel, and put a huge filter on the truck. The engine went away after a few years, but it was a POS to begin with. He ran the used oil straight, by the way, no dilution. He claimed 20 more horses at least, by the seat of his pants.
Some Cummins engines in semi's use an on-the-go oil change system where a photocell reads the colour of the oil and at a certain point bleeds off the old oil into the fuel tank and replaces it from an on-board tank.
Caterpillar says to use crude oil as fuel if regular fuel is not available. The warranty may be voided, though, due to unpredictable power increases damaging the engine.
Like the others say, it's your engine, and your nickel. I'm going to find an old diesel pickup and try it, I have hundreds of gallons available.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:10 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Yes don't worry about the acids in the used oil you are burning. Most filters won't get that out.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:36 PM
MilesFox
New User
i dont understand how injector cost 200 bucks each, is this for the parts alone, or to have someone service it? like i stated before injectors are something i can do myself, and get parts from uhaul at cost.

i have done glow plugs on international, ford f350 mand econoline at work. the only hard part about the work is getting the tool in there but its not hard to do and i can replace them in an hour. the injectors shouldnt be too much more difficult, if i use line wrenches and the like, i just dont understand why an injector would be 200 bucks or what-not.

this is after all an idi international 7.3

thet is some nasty crap in that picture there. most of the oil i have is from a volkswagen shop specializing in horizontal engines MOFOCO if you have heard of them....

surprizing to me that the mechanics and whoever else that have been working at u-haul for some time dont know that you can run used oil as fuel

Old 10-17-2006, 10:41 PM
the grimlin
Junior User
I have been running waste motor oil at 50% for a few years now. I no longer run used diesel oil unless it's from my own truck because you have know idea how long the last owner ran it for. I also run filtered used transmission fluid and hydraulic oil at 75% in summer. I have also found if you find a source for used motor cycle oil it will run good at 75%.

I think I am doing good year to date I filter my oil from berral to tank with used 10 micron motor oil filters and installed a on-board 200 micron wire filter then a 25 micron filter then to the stock filter. I have run hunderds of gallons of this funny fuel and have only changed my stock filter one time and the 25 micron 2 times. I did one year have to do a road side change of my oem filter but no big deal.

My truck runs just fine and if the motor blows O-well 6.9's are cheep thease days and I have a spare allready anyway.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:50 PM
IABill
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
WOW!!!!......Miles don't you wonder why any of the techs @ U-Haul Don't run used oil as fuel.....You May think you are saving mony now but is the savings worth your down time and not beeing able to service a cust while you are working your truck?....Ever had to try and get a swelled G/P out of the hole without breaking off the tip?.......Hope you reconsider....FWIW.....

Quick Reply: used oil is the way to go