Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Hitch installation question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 02:03 PM
joe2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hitch installation question

I recently removed a hitch from a 90 shorty in a bone yard, want to put it on my 89 shorty. I noticed on several other aero* that in order to instal the hitch the frame had to have a cut made in it to allow the bolts to be installed from the top down. The frame has the correct size holes to accept the bolts, however, I cant see any other way to put the bolts in. Is this the only way? I have searched the forum and could not find anything related. Can any body Help.

Old 07-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The hole needs to be cut so you can install the Nuts and Washers. Yucan use a grinder with a cut-off disk or a torch.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:16 PM
rickm5
Senior User
i had a hitch put on my 91 ext. by pep boys. they didn't need to cut anything on mine, although it may be different than the shortie. to get the nut on the bolt they used a long thin piece of tin or metal shaped like a upside down Z which was attached to the nut to hold it in place in the tube frame from underneath. then they put in the bolt from underneath thru the hitch to the hole in the frame to the nut, and tightened it up. left the piece of metal on it. clear as mud i guess. thats why i didn't put mine on myself, i couldn't figure out how to attach it to the frame. they must have a kit out there to help do it hope that is of some help. rick

Old 07-08-2004, 05:35 PM
joe2
Freshman User
THanx Rickm, I'll take a look to see if there is an other way in for the shorty. Sounds promising if I can find the path to the hole, if not I'll use the cut the square method. Just dont like the Idea of opening up the tube, that will bring the possiblity for corrosion in a hard to see spot. Thanx again

Last edited by joe2; 07-08-2004 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-08-2004, 11:21 PM
eehoepp
Elder User
1) Use a hole saw to make one round hole per side, midway up the face of the "tube". Use lots of cutting fluid on the hole saw. Pop in a plug to seal the hole afterward. Fish the bolts in with a piece of wire. As you tighten the nuts, the bolts should grip & hopefully won't spin. If you have a way to get it done, weld a short piece of rod or bar to the bolt head to stop it from spinning in the frame.

2) If the van is a 1989, I don't expect you're ever going to want to take the hitch off again. Have it welded on. That's how I put mine on. Just disconnect the battery first so you don't fry the alternator of other electronics.

Good luck with the install.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 07-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Good idea a holesaw would be perfect. Tack weld a few fins on the nut and it will not turn in there. Also I would spray copper coat on the bolt so it will not rust and get frozen.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:47 AM
joe2
Freshman User
Thanx for the info, this really is a great forum. there is so much knowledge that comes out of this place for just about anything its amazing. I do have some concerns with welding it in place. I just might go that route, however, does welding it in place take anything away from the weight carrying capacity. I would think that the welds will hold as well as fastners, but a little help from some one who has actually done this would be great.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
I don't think anyone is saying weld it in place. I was saying weld some fin's on the nut then drop it in there.

If the hole is drilled in the side just big enough for the nut you can always weld a plate back over it.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:56 AM
joe2
Freshman User
Got it, Didnt think it sounded right. I have all the stuff that came from the doner vehicle. The bolts already had the fins on them when I took them from the bone yard. So, ill get the job done this weekend. Thanx for all the help

Old 07-09-2004, 08:18 PM
eehoepp
Elder User
Yep, I welded my hitch right to the frame of the van. Heaviest load I have pulled with it so far is 2000 pounds of paving stones in a 750 pound trailer. Had another 900 pounds of stones in the van too. 'Course that was only a 3 mile trip.

This weekend I'll be pulling a 1990 Tempo with a towbar. It's a 105 mile trip. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 07-10-2004, 11:04 AM
joe2
Freshman User
Thanxs for the post. Good luck with the trip. Arrive alive!!! I will look to see how it went.

Chow
Joe

Old 07-11-2004, 01:07 PM
joe2
Freshman User
Put the hitch on yesterday. Had to do the frame cut method, used a drill and Pneumatic hack saw, took about an hour to do. Got the hitch assembly at the bone yard for $8.00 and spent another $6.00 on blades. Cant see the local shops charging $350.00 for the same thing I did. Well thanx to all for the Advice.

Joe

Old 07-11-2004, 10:53 PM
eehoepp
Elder User
No troubles pulling the Tempo. Van could have used a bit more power - nothing new.

Ran it in D, keep the speed to 60 mph or less. Engine temp stayed around the high side of the "O" on the gauge. Couple of long, but gentle hills pushed it to the high side of the "R". 95 3.0 shorty with the factory trans cooler in the bumper.

I was concerned about braking, since the dinghy has no way to contribute any braking effort. It really wasn't bad at all, though.

It was a little unsettling to change lanes on the highway & have the "trailer" steer the back end of the van a bit.

Idled the Tempo in neutral for the whole trip to keep the trans fluid circulating (auto trans).

Uneventful driving, but a long day to hook the towbar up & then disconnet again at home.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 07-12-2004, 11:15 PM
joe2
Freshman User
Eric, Glad to hear the trip went without any event. I now know pretty much how much I can subject mine to. I got the 89 short XL, some one at the factory got smart and installed a factory trans cooler with the A4ld tranny, this is a little unusual. The Aero* only has 66k on it and I am planning on trailering a 1500 Lb pop up camper from the Pacnorthwest to San Diego. I'll take it easy and drive in the big D for the trip. thanx for the info. take it easy

Joe

Old 10-02-2006, 03:21 PM
nick11082001
Senior User
can someone guide me on how to install a hitch onto a 1995 Aero shorty? thanks, Nick

Quick Reply: Hitch installation question