1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

2WD to 4WD conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2WD to 4WD conversion?

How feasible is this? My truck is an 86 2WD with the C6. I have a line on a whole truck for a really cheap price. It is an 85 4x4 but I think it has a manual tranny and it definitely has a trashed engine.

So, is it reasonable to consider putting the leaf sprung SFA from a 4x4 under the front end of a coil sprung 2WD. Are the leaf spring mounting points - or even the mounting location holes for them even there?

What about the transfer case? If it is a manual tranny its going to require a tranny swap too, isn't it? Looking for some opinions.....

Old 09-28-2006, 05:51 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is the parts truck? Seeing that yours is a F-250 diesel, the parts truck will need to be a HD250 with the D50 front axle to support the weight of your motor. I am not sure if LD250's came with diesels, so I don't know if an 8-lug D44 would be strong enough. As far as the drivetrain, if they aren't compatible, you could still swap in the axle and look for a compatible tranny/t-case while you drove the truck.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:24 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sycostang67
What is the parts truck? Seeing that yours is a F-250 diesel, the parts truck will need to be a HD250 with the D50 front axle to support the weight of your motor. I am not sure if LD250's came with diesels, so I don't know if an 8-lug D44 would be strong enough. As far as the drivetrain, if they aren't compatible, you could still swap in the axle and look for a compatible tranny/t-case while you drove the truck.
Sorry, I guess I didn't give enough details.

Both are F250s with the 6.9L diesel.

Mine's an '86 2WD Supercab with a C6 auto

The parts truck is an 85 4WD regular cab that MAY have a manual tranny - but I'm not sure - I'm still trying to find out.

My first question is whether the front end coils to leafs swap is going to be a bolt-in affair or if it is going to require a bunch of fab work?

Second question is IF the front axle is a bolt in, AND the donor truck has a manual tranny, will I have to ditch my C6, or will the same transfer case bolt up to both the auto and the manual in these two trucks?

Thanks in advancefor any info you guys can offer.....

Old 09-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats makes things easier. I would assume the holes would all be there, you may have to grind up a lot of rivets and replace them with quality hardware to install on the SC frame. I would get the trucks side by side and compare the holes on the SC frame to the brackets mounted on the RC frame. From what I recall, in order to put the t-case on your C6, you need a different output shaft, and replacing it requires tearing the tranny completely apart. It would be cheaper to swap in the 4spd and all the related hardware since you have a donor truck, but if you think the C6 could use a rebuild, now would be a good time.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:53 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sycostang67
Thats makes things easier. I would assume the holes would all be there, you may have to grind up a lot of rivets and replace them with quality hardware to install on the SC frame. I would get the trucks side by side and compare the holes on the SC frame to the brackets mounted on the RC frame. From what I recall, in order to put the t-case on your C6, you need a different output shaft, and replacing it requires tearing the tranny completely apart. It would be cheaper to swap in the 4spd and all the related hardware since you have a donor truck, but if you think the C6 could use a rebuild, now would be a good time.
Well, I appreciate the feedback.
I was hoping someone would read this who knows for sure whether the frames are the same and whether the mounting brackets for the leaf springs - or at least the holes for mounting them - are already there. Maybe someone who has already done a similar conversion.

Putting the trucks side-by-side to compare is easier said than done - they're in different locations close to 100 miles apart.

Last edited by CheaperJeeper; 09-29-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:12 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Anybody?

Am I thinking about doing something that no one has ever done before (again)?

Old 09-30-2006, 01:47 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cheaper..

I had thought about this also. Since the leaf front TTB's really bind the leaf springs up, and can limit articulation as well as wear oout the spring bushings rapidly, I had given thought to using the light duty 3/4 ton stuff on a conversion like you were thinking.

IE rather than spend all the time switching to leafs, why not just use the coil spring TTB 8 lug front suspension as used on the light duty 3/4 tons? (no I am not talking about 5 lug half ton stuff here) After all, coil springs carry the weight of the diesel in 2wd, so why not 4wd?

In looking at the specs for 4wd models, both front axles are listed as having a capacity of 3850 lbs (1986 specs) and heck, even the lighter half ton has a spec of 3550 lbs capacity. The real difference is in the capacity of the rear axle. Makes sense, that is where the majority of the loaded weight is carried, of course some weight transfer can occur when braking. But evidently not enough to where Ford was worried about it.

In looking at the 2wd 1986 specs, there is only a 100 lb difference in the front axle rating between the F250 and F250HD. So the same applies.

That would make the conversion much eaisier as it should be a bolt in operation.

Just food for thought. David

Old 09-30-2006, 01:17 PM
big hoss 29
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=dmanlyr]Cheaper..

IE rather than spend all the time switching to leafs, why not just use the coil spring TTB 8 lug front suspension as used on the light duty 3/4 tons? (no I am not talking about 5 lug half ton stuff here) After all, coil springs carry the weight of the diesel in 2wd, so why not 4wd?

All F-250 4x4's had leaf springs, light duty and heavy duty, not coils.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:34 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Not to argue here, but the light duty F250 4x4's are indeed coil spring. I have noted several 80-86's on the street as well as a 1982 that I had a close inspection on in the wrecking yard. This is where the idea came from. Now could there be leaf front light dutys out there? Yes I am sure depending upon how the truck was spec'd and Fords needs in the parts stock.

Light duty F250's also had the semi floating rear axles. BUT I have run across full floating axles, are these stock or replacment axles?

I spec out trucks from F150's to Kenworths for my company as well as many other tasks. I pay very close attention to details and specs.

David

Old 09-30-2006, 11:03 PM
big hoss 29
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The newer F-250 Superduty's have coils I believe, but I don't think I've ever seen a coil sprung 80-97 F-250 4x4 in all my time around Ford trucks. I'm not trying to be a smart *** so please don't get offended, but I'd like to see a picture if you could post one.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:04 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Not a problem big hoss - I didn't take anything you said as a negative. I didn't believe such a beast existed until I saw several myself. I will take a pic or two next time I am out at the wrecking yard.

David

Old 10-01-2006, 01:13 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
dmanlyr, the TTB would probably be the easiest way to go - if one were readily available. The thing that prompted this whole thread was the potential availability of the leaf sprung front end - and all other associated 4x4 parts - off a donor vehicle that possibly can be had VERY cheaply.....

I wasn't even considering the conversion until I found out about this other truck.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:12 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Oh.. well it was just a idea if for some reason the frame was different and the leaf front end did not work out. it was also a suggestion as to get around some of the negative effects of the leaf TTB.

You can thank me later for even taking the time to post or even give a care.

David

Old 10-02-2006, 10:44 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I appreciate your taking the time, David.

Looks like this one may be a non-starter. I haven't been able to compare my truck to the diesel 4x4, but a friend of a friend has an 85 F250 SuperCab gasser with the 460 in it. Started comparing them and the section of the frames where the front leaf spring mounts are located are different. His has a full boxed frame section at the front, whereas mine has just a c-channel (open side facing inwards). So, looks like putting the leaf hangers in would require taking half the front end off to box the frame and God only knows what else.

So, if I were really wanting to go 4x4, instead of just exploring the idea due to some easy parts availability, then your suggestion on the TTB would no doubt be the better way to go David.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:39 AM
smuggler
Junior User
It would be so much easier to put your engine in the parts truck than to put the 4x4 gear in the 2x4 truck.

Quick Reply: 2WD to 4WD conversion?