Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
disc replacement

Daughter had surgery today. 26 years old having disc replacement---sad

Old 09-27-2006, 08:15 PM
lil_dq
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW! (that's all i have to say about that!)

Old 09-27-2006, 08:21 PM
slmann
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear about that.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:28 PM
vloney
Postmaster

She's doing fine tho. Little bit of pain (they went in from the front) Wife is staying with daughter. She'll probably come home friday.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:33 PM
lil_dq
Senior User
glad to hear she's alright!

Old 09-27-2006, 09:08 PM
slmann
Postmaster
Hopefully she will have a speedy recovery.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Century Coronado
Posting Guru
I too hope she has a rapid recovery. She will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:04 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
My doctor has talked to me about that a few times. I have two bulged discs in my back that just don't want to stay where they are supposed to, but until I can't handle it anymore, no one is doing surgery on mine. That just scares the living heck out of me!

I hope she gets well soon too.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:54 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, if you let it go too long, it can make it worse, or at least take away some options. I lived with two herniated discs for 24 years, and when they went, it wasn't pretty. The damage and scar tissue from waiting so long made it such that I had no other option than fusion. Had it been taken care of earlier, the herniation could have been fixed and saved me a lot of trouble and pain. Unfotunately, the way insurance and all work, until there was a problem, noone was looking. I was getting by pretty good until the rupture.They have a procedure that is minimally invasive to repair herniated discs. I would advise you to at least look into it and research it, doesn't mean you have to commit to anything, just check it out and inform yourself. MRI is the only way to really know what is going on and to what degree things are. X-rays won't show it worth a crap, they work better on bones, but not nerves.
Sorry she had to go through this, help her be strong and get up ASAP, the longer she's down the harder it will be. They wanted me walking within almost a day, ended up being almost 3 before I got a plan figured out so I could stand. They were trying to get me off the left side of the bed, and to this day I still have troubles with that, was that way after the rupture. I can get off the right side fine though. The monitors and all the other stuff were on the left, so that's why they were trying that. After I figured out the same pain was still there, I switched to trying the right side, and it was much better, then used the bed to lift me up like a lift chair does, and we were off to the races... (yeah right!) Had my surgery at 33... Hope she does well, can really be trying. Whatever she does, don't let her just sit around, she needs to keep getting up and moving, and it will get better faster that way. It will definitely hurt at first, but it will get better if she keeps getting up and getting around, if she lays around or sits around too much, it wil hurt more and last longer. I don't dare take a day and just lay around, I still pay for it if I do that.I'm working on 4 years since my surgery.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:37 PM
vloney
Postmaster

she has been up walking around today (mama is proud of her baby) She says the only pain is the incision (they went in through the front). They said as soon as she is using all functions (too much information!) she can go home.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Century Coronado
Posting Guru
Vince, how's your daughter doing?

Old 10-05-2006, 06:14 AM
vloney
Postmaster

She's doing ok. Trying to get used to a different lifestyle needed from that kind of surgery. She called me at work yesterday, she was trapped in bed (abdominal muscles wouldnt let her raise up). I told her to roll off the side. Because of bruising and soreness in her arms, she couldnt do it. She ended up calling her husband at work to come rescue her.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:58 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What I had to do for a long time was roll on the side, swing my legs down, and use my arm to push up... Of course, it helps to have good upper body strength...