1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

cps error code

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:23 PM
gotama
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cps error code

i was just having a look at my dianostics setting and i had an error code for my cps...i cleared it and have been driving for aweek and over 500 miles and looked again and the system passed...truck is running perfectly however i did have a problem whil i was hunting 2 weeks ago when my solinoid starter wire somehow became unravelled from the protective harness and fused itself to the srtain relief braket and melted itself till it burned all of the coating off the wire before i could undo the wire from the solinoid...i almost had a fire...anyway i managed to rig up a new wire to my starter and everything is fine....runs great...but then i read that cps code like i said...my question is would this dead short caused the error?...i have a spare cps handy at all times but the error does not come up anymore...any thoughts on this?..thanks

Old 09-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A dead short might cause the cps code. I'm sure the electronics didn't like it if the key was on when it shorted.

Keeping a spare is a good idea

Old 09-27-2006, 12:29 PM
gotama
Senior User
ya the key was on till i saw the smoke comin from the hood from the wire...never ran so fast in my life with the fire extinguisher in hand...i hope it was the dead short that caused the error...btw ive been lookin for the international cps advertized here for a 100 bucks...i want one...they are 300 at the local napa here

Old 09-27-2006, 07:26 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
You can also get a cps code if you crank the engine too long without it starting. Glad to hear nothing happened with that fire! Another good place to buy a cps is ebay for like $50-75. But international is the way to go if you need one right away.