1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Stalling, and sputtering under load, both CPS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:07 PM
bnine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling, and sputtering under load, both CPS?

New to the forums and PDS.

I have a 95.

When left idling for 5 minutes plus, the truck will sometimes decide to just die. It immediately fires back up. I take it this is most likely a CPS issue?

Secondly. Hauled our jeep out of town this weekend, and noticed that when pulling hard up over 2000 RPM the engine would seem to sputter.

Unhooked, It doesnt do it.

Recently I installed a heavy duty rebuilt E40D, 3 inch down pipe, and new turbo inlet pipes, from the manifold.

These are the only things I've done to the truck.

Would the CPS cause both the stalling and the sputtering?

Sorry to bring up another CPS question, I've read a few threads on it, but didnt catch anything regarding the sputtering, so thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Old 09-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be a CPS. Get a new one, install it. If the problem still persists, put the old one in the glove box for later. Keeping a spare is a good idea, failures can happen unexpectedly.

Did symptoms happen after you added the mods?
What do you mean bu "NEw turbo pipes? Maybe there's a leak.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
bnine
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
Could be a CPS. Get a new one, install it. If the problem still persists, put the old one in the glove box for later. Keeping a spare is a good idea, failures can happen unexpectedly.

Did symptoms happen after you added the mods?
What do you mean bu "NEw turbo pipes? Maybe there's a leak.
The two pipes that run into the turbo from the exhaust manifolds. I dont think there is a leak, I torqued them pretty good and used new dog nuts up at the turbo side.

The down pipe is tight all the way around.

I'll definately try the CPS.

This is starting to get old....lol. Nickle and dimming me to death.

To date

New t-case 1300
New tranny 4300
New pipes 600
new steering 500
New wheel bearings 100
1 new spindle 300
New wheel bearings on one side again because of bad spindle 100
CPS 275

Old 09-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used vehicles can get expensive sometime but when you get her done you'll have a good ride.

I was more concerned about the intake side of the turbo, although exhaust leaks will cause poor performance too but shouldn't cause it to stall.

Maybe the MAP sensor was damaged during the DP install?

Squirt your intake at the joints (boots, clamps, manifolds ect) with soapy water when running to find intake leaks, map sensor too.
Maybe it's overheating while idleing.

Do you have a Factory repair manual. The diagnostic flow chart for stalling is quite lenghty, too much to post. Let us know if the CPS solves your problem.

Last edited by Cuda_jim; 09-11-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Pest007
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where exactly is the CPS sensor, is it right by the crank on the front? Anyone have a going price for what they usually cost? I had mine stall out just at idle, check engine light cam on, but went back off before I could scan the code to see what it was.... could this possible be signs of the sensor going bad??

Old 09-11-2006, 05:56 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Dont get the cps from a dealer. Buy one from international ($100) or get one off ebay($50-75).

bnine, I dont think a cps is your issue. Get the truck scanned for codes. I think you have a burnt wiring harness issue, or injectors. Get the truck scanned at a parts store, and let us know what you came up with.

pest007, The cps is at the 10 o clock position on the crank from underneath. What codes did yours come up with.

Last edited by ForemanES; 09-11-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:20 AM
bnine
Senior User
Yeah, its one of those things you know in the back of your head but hope you arent right.

I figured it had to be something injector related,, but crossed my fingers that the CPS would resolve it. I dont think it has. My wife has the truck right now visiting family, and still says it sounds a bit funny.

I wont have a chance to go get codes read until next week, but I'll update this with what I find once I do.

Anyone recommend a good reader for home that doesnt break the bank? I do all my own work, but only have an OB2 reader right now. That plug fooled me at first since it looks just like an OB2 compatible one.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 AM
bnine
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
Used vehicles can get expensive sometime but when you get her done you'll have a good ride.

I was more concerned about the intake side of the turbo, although exhaust leaks will cause poor performance too but shouldn't cause it to stall.

Maybe the MAP sensor was damaged during the DP install?

Squirt your intake at the joints (boots, clamps, manifolds ect) with soapy water when running to find intake leaks, map sensor too.
Maybe it's overheating while idleing.

Do you have a Factory repair manual. The diagnostic flow chart for stalling is quite lenghty, too much to post. Let us know if the CPS solves your problem.
I know what you mean Jim, this one was just bad timming. Im in the middle of a 20 thousand dollar jeep build and the last 7k out the window on the truck hasnt been very good timing.

Oh well, like you say, eventually I'll have her running good.

I just recently purchased all the FSM's I could get my hands on. Drivetrain, chasis, and the 7.3L supplement. They are a little more of a bear to get through then my jeep ones, but I'll get used to them eventually.

Thanks for the tips on map sensor and leak chasing.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:09 AM
bnine
Senior User
Small update on this issue.

Yesterday, I broke down and asked my step dad to give me a hand going over it. He's a mechanic, but the family bugs him enough, I try to avoid that when I can.

Taking it out on a test run, we found we only got the miss once she was working hard.

Going through everything, we found that one of the manifold intake hoses wasnt seated on the back side. The guy I bought this truck from just had the glow plugs done before I bought it. I hadn't thought to look there, since it wasnt something I'd messed with.

Put that all back together, and we got a lot of power back. She still made an odd miss once she was real hot, but we think it might be time for a an air and fuel filter change. Im doing those tonight.

Tried to get the codes read last week and all that would come back was "truck not responding". Not looking forward to figuring that out, but oh well, one thing at a time.