2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Investigating tires - what are my choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:29 AM
chadstar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Investigating tires - what are my choices

OK - even though my new truck has only 300 miles on it, I am looking for its next set of tires. The General Grabber TRs on it need to go while I can get some money for them. I am a BIG Michelin fan with the LTX M/S being my favorite. However, I just found out they don't make this tire in my size, my truck takes the size LT245/70R17 tire. Michelin has the LTX A/S in this size. Still a nice tire, but not the LTX M/S. I will go this route, but now want to look at my options. I know nothing of the other brands because I just bought Michelins and never looked at anything else. Since Michelin does not have exactly what I want, its a good time to look around. So now my research for tires begins.

I live in New England and we get a lot of snow, sleet, and rain during the year. I like the extra belt in a load range E tires for puncture resistance and durability, plus it makes a difference with a full load of firewood. The Michelins have a quite ride and that is important. I commute a bit and need that on the highways. Not considering price right now, just want the info on the tires and will do pricing later. So here is what I look for in a tire:

1. quite ride
2. long tread life
3. puncture resistance - small town, lots of dirt roads that I live in
4. great in snow
5. great in rain
6. handling is important

What brand and tire fits my criteria that you would recommend. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

ChadStar

Old 09-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Arby
Freshman User
Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo comes in the size you listed. Go to Tirerack's website and look at this tire's rating.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:13 PM
chadstar
New User
Does anyone have any thoughts on the BF Goodrich tires - I see the Rugged Trail T/A meets some of my criteria.Thanks Arby - I am looking at Bridgestones next.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:22 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
How would you rate the generals? I'm not much of a tire guy. I just mosly use buckshot maxxis. I did'nt like the gererals cause the tread was to close. I like a more open pattern to clean the mud out. Why i ask is cause i noticed you have a 4x4 and think you have a HD xlt and like the mud/snow tires.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:17 PM
chadstar
New User
Hi Exiled,

I like the M/S cause they are a good trade off between handling snow and highway driving on nice days. Instead of having two sets of tires for different conditions, these tires fit both needs by meeting in the middle.

I have read the Generals come apart and vibrate. I personally do not think these tires will hold up past 40K miles. So far they ride OK, but not great. They are new, but I am concerned they will require maintance like constant rebalancing and begin to vibrate on me like my Goodyears did on my last truck.

Here's my story and why I like Michelin tires. They work for me. It is my experience that cheaper tires cost more. A quality set of Michelins or another quality manfacture's tire save you money. It is also the only thing that is between you and the road no matter what vehicle you are in. Plus, they give a better ride.

My '01 F-150 (same kind of truck with the 7700 payload package) came with the Goodyear Wranglers and they needed to be rotated and rebalanced every other oil change. By 45K the treads were coming apart and they were wearing uneven. Not too mention these tires had a vibration in them that seemed to change over time at different speeds, and I constantly had them rebalanced. I put the Michelin LTX M/S tires on and they handled better, were ten times quiter, never ever vibrated, and wore even. I rotated and rebalanced these tires once a year. When I traded the truck it had 120K on it and the tires measured 8mm up front and 9mm in the back. I would have easily gotten 90K miles from these tires. The extra I spent on the Michelins was saved four times over from not having to rebalance, rotate and buy another set of tires after 40K miles.

Before that I had a '93 Explorer. My wife hit the curb and blew the sidewall out. I replaced the Firestone tire with a new Firestone to keep them all the same. Bought two in fact so I had to new ones up front and some tread left on the back two that I will replace later. These were the original tires on it. Six months later after the tires were rotated I had a vibration. Took it to my dealer who figured out the problem, it was the tires. I thought it must the be the two old tires needed to be replaced. Nope, it was the two new ones and those belts were coming apart. This was before the BIG recall the media had fun with. I was not happy and immediatly had all four tires pulled and replaced with Michilen XC LT4. I never had a vibration, never needed to rebalance, or ratote these things but once a year. They made the Explorer ride so much better.

My wife's 98 Windstar had to have new tires around 40K. Forget the brand they came with, I think Goodyears, but they did not last. The Michelin X Radial was rated for 80K, but we got rid of it benfore I could find out myself.

So, I don't want to wait around with these General's and put a quality tire on it sooner then later.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:37 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
Chadstar, thahk you for your reply, i found it very interresting and informative. I'm so glad you did'nt take my questions as rude. I personly have'nt had any experence with tires like you have. as i've said i use buckshot and i've heard people say they beat them to death going down the road, but i dont notice it. oh but they do sing going down the road. Aint that something that you found that much differnce between all them tires? How aggressive would you say a m/s tire is? compaired to say a buckshot?

Old 09-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Arby
Freshman User
Originally Posted by chadstar
Does anyone have any thoughts on the BF Goodrich tires - I see the Rugged Trail T/A meets some of my criteria.
The BFG Tugged Trail (18") were the OEM on my FX4. They are ok. The wear isn't too good but I had no problem last winter on slushy, snowy roads.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:09 AM
chadstar
New User
Thank you for the reply Arby, I was hoping to get feedback on the BF Goodrich tires. I was comparing those and the Michilen LTX A/S. I would pick the Michis between the two. My choices are limited in this tire size and I think the Michilen LTX A/S will be the winners, but not exactly what I want.

No problem Exiled - glad to hear back from you. I don't have any experience with the Buckshot tires and they look like they would perform better off road then the M/S. The M/S handle very well. I have another story that is a fond memory of mine '01 F-150.

This must be almost three years ago, I was coming home from the Patriots game with my son. It started snowing in the second quarter and quickly accomulated. The Parking lot was covered by half time. We left in the fourth quarter cause the Pats were winning and my son was getting cold, plus I wanted to get ahead of traffic.

We headed up 495 North and they were two lanes, all the cars and such in one lane, and the trucks and SUVs in the second lane going faster. Now, the Michilen LTX M/S are new and this is the first winter for these tires. I am in four wheel drive of course. A group of us finally get by all the traffic on the right so there are just trucks and SUVs breaking out into two lanes. I really wanted to get ahead of everyone for my truck was feeling really good. Now I start to pass people and a couple folks tried to keep up with me. There is about 6 inches of snow by now and the road was plowed and recovered in the first two lanes of a three lane highway. I was able to do 55 MPH were I can see everyone else was slipping at 50. I had one guy really try and hang with me in some foriegn SUV, but he couldn't and gestered with his hand that I was number 1. I easlily had a 5 MPH edge on everyone else from Chevy and Dodge 4x4s to different SUVs. I am in front.

Next, I see the snow plows up ahead. They are plowing the two inside lanes working together so I pass them on the left. In front of me turned out to be almost 20 miles of unplowed, untraveled, fresh snow, about 6-8 inches deep, with not a vehicle of any kind in site. I pushed the pedal and had one of the most exciting rides of my life. I used two lanes with the third lane as a buffer, and could take it to 60 MPH. You had to lean into the throttle and power thru the corners and would slide a bit, but stayed on the road. You never ever touch the brakes and work the throttle only. It was an amazing ride thanks to a great four wheel drive system and good quality tires.

I am really sold on the Michelin LTX M/S tires. They have performed for me where I have seen other people slide off the road and I was able to stop.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:14 AM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
I'm having the same problem, only my truck takes 275/65 R18's. Michelin doesn't have anything, and BFG only has the Trail that I have from stock. Not extremely happy with the stock tires. Too lightweight.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:55 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Chadstar dang thats some story. i hear a couple guys around here thats from up north talking about driving thru snow and leaning on the throttle. They say we around here dont know how to drive in snow. imagion that. What was his 1st clue, that it almost never snows here. all we get is a couple days of freezen rain.
I've looked at m/s tires and they just did'nt look like they would keep clean and start spinning. have you ever put them in the mud. By the way you talk they will certly grip the road i'm wondering about the ground. i did see you said buckshot might be better off road, but what i'm saying is i only get 40K miles if i'm lucky at $149 each. Oh yea the roar of buckshots is not fazed by Fords new silent cabs, you can still hear almost every note. My way of thinking is if i have to give $300 for a m/s tire but get 80K miles i've lost nothing but if the ride is better i've gained everything.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:46 PM
chadstar
New User
I hear ya goatdriver, this is bumming me out that I can't get what I want. I am not getting positive feedback about the BFGs either.

Exiled - my priority is the quite ride on the highway and snow traction. The Goodyears I had on my '01 F-150 were noisy, and I have heard other tires that sing like you describe. Not my thing, but if you get stuck in the mud, thats not good either. It is definately a balancing act between comfort, utility, and durability. I understand two sets at 40K miles for the same cost of one set at 80K miles. I think the M/S would have a better ride, but depending on how important off road work is, they may not be the best choice.

I am moving a load of forewood on Sat, so we'll see how the General handle the weight. Should be fine. I then plan to drive them this winter so how it goes, but the first sign of issues they come off and the Michelin LTX A/S go on.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
They do make the LTX M/S in a 255/70R17, however, it's a "P" tire, not an "LT". The difference in size would hardly be noticeable. I am hoping to get my new M/S's on today or tomorrow (but mine are going to be a 275/55/20).

Old 09-12-2006, 04:27 PM
zblink1888
New User
my vote goes to the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos worked great on my ranger and putting on a set onec the Rugged Trail T/A's burn up

Old 09-13-2006, 10:03 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
If you really don't "need" the aggresive nature of all those hardcore all-terrains and off-roaders... you might want to look for the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds? I was told they would fit my factory Xl/XLT grey rims as well as my new 17X8s
I'm eyeballing a set for mine...
Tho I did notice that you have a 4wd ... (2wd here)
The ratings seem to be pretty good for that tire... and its Suppose to be Ice and Rain friendly..

Last edited by FTE Trigger; 09-13-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:14 AM
chadstar
New User
I like the LT or load range D or E tires. I haul firewood and the extra load helps here. It is also what the truck is designed for.

It looks like a trade off in this tire size. I read the reviews and did some searches and here are my conclusions:

The Michelin LTX A/S are best for road noise, wear, and fuel economy, but not good in snow and rain.

The Goodyear Wrangler Silent Gaurd is good for snow and rain, but not wear, and fuel economy.

The BFG Rugger Trail T/A meats in the middle of the above two.

There are other brands, but these three are what I focused on. I read good things about the Goodyears. It sounds like the redid this tire and fixed all the mistakes from the Goodyear Wranglers A/Ts. The Silent Guard is an improvments and if anyone can comment on them - I would appreciate it. These tires are rated at only 50K miles thou.

A guy at work I was talking to basically said - you need two sets of tires. Not the route I wanted to go, but it sure does bring back memories of the old studded snow tire days in those rear wheel drive vintage late 60s and 70s cars were used to drive.

ChadStar

Quick Reply: Investigating tires - what are my choices