2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What AT tires did you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:56 AM
BlackFX4Screw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have allways heard good things about the bfg's. I really think the Bridgestone dueler revos are a good looking tire. Both have great reviews on the web. I have a friend that can get me the revos $5.00 over his cost whatever that is. Need to cheek out the toyo's and nitto's now.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:09 AM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Originally Posted by BlackFX4Screw
I have allways heard good things about the bfg's. I really think the Bridgestone dueler revos are a good looking tire. Both have great reviews on the web. I have a friend that can get me the revos $5.00 over his cost whatever that is. Need to cheek out the toyo's and nitto's now.
The Dueler 693's are a terrible tire, but from everything I have heard the Revo's have taken care of all the issues. Everyone I have talked to loves them.

One factor to consider might be the fact that the Revo's are only available in 18" as P-series tires. I think the LT series tires are generally a little tougher for off road use.

As far as the Cooper Discoverers go I just remembered that I took a pretty good hit in fuel economy when I put them on. It will be worth it for me though as I live 75 miles from the nearest pavement. I also wanted a tire that would accept ice studs.

BTW it was 2 degrees Celsius below freezing here last night so I may get a chance to put those studs to the test before long.

Last edited by bigdavewilson; 09-09-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:42 AM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigdavewilson
The Dueler 693's are a terrible tire, but from everything I have heard the Revo's have taken care of all the issues. Everyone I have talked to loves them.

One factor to consider might be the fact that the Revo's are only available in 18" as P-series tires. I think the LT series tires are generally a little tougher for off road use.

As far as the Cooper Discoverers go I just remembered that I took a pretty good hit in fuel economy when I put them on. It will be worth it for me though as I live 75 miles from the nearest pavement. I also wanted a tire that would accept ice studs.

BTW it was 2 degrees Celsius below freezing here last night so I may get a chance to put those studs to the test before long.
This is how that post ought to read. Sometimes my typing fingers get away from me a delete stuff I never even noticed.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:44 AM
DarkWolf40
Elder User
I lost interest in BFG's years ago when I was a poor starving student and was shopping for retreads for my 71 Bronco. The retread guy only used Goodyear wranglers for the carcus, he said they would strip all the trad off to inspect the belts before the retread process and the BFG's were usually not acceptable for retread. The Wranglers usually were still good. I thought that was interesting and now that I can afford new tires I usually go with Goodyear. I've got Wranglers on my 4x4 and they are very good. Also using Goodyear on my cars and love them too. When I got a deal on a set of Dick Cepecks with wheels I went for it for my 67 F250 but after only 2000 miles I hate the Dick Cepeck tires, they are very noisy and don't have good traction on wet surfaces. I'm about ready to trade them in for a set of new Goodyear's

Old 09-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Arby
Freshman User
I'll be going to the Revos when I look for a replacement set. I've had Revos on my Explorer and they were excellent. The only off-road driving I do is beach driving and they run really good in the soft sand.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:07 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought about going REVO, but with the duty that my truck sees, the strengths went to the BFGs. They have a much stiffer/thicker sidewall, as well as a rugged ply construct for the tread. As it seems to be, the REVO is a good all around tire. The BFG is a good tire if you need heavy duty towing or off road support.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:20 AM
smokestone52
Elder User
I haven't bought new skins for my truck yet, but I will most likley go with the BFG AT's. I had a set on a FX4 Ranger for 85,000 miles, and the tread was still good, but I was getting some seperation so I put a new set on.
When I go to Mammoth and Sun Valley skiing this winter it will tell me if I need to get rid of the BFG, P's that are on my truck now.
I sure like the looks of the Terra Grapplers though.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:13 PM
John2Thomas
Senior User
BFG AT's get my vote. Great off road and in the snow.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:24 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
Had BFG AT's on several vehicles. They made every one pull to the right no matter how many times I had the alignment checked.

Had a set of Big O AT's that were pretty good. Did everything off-road that the BFG's would do, and were smoother-riding on the road. I would buy them again if they had the size I wanted.

Had a set of Toyo Open Country AT's on my '04 F250. They were fine on the road, and did OK in the dirt, but I got stuck in about 5" of snow and almost went off the side of a cliff because of them. Won't see them on my vehicles anymore.

I've had a set of Michelin LTX M/S on a Bronco, and loved them. Absoultey smooth as glass on the road, and never got me stuck off the road. Granted they aren't really an "AT", but they are (or I was told anyway) built on the same carcass as the LTX A/T, just with a different tread design. Since the vast majority of my driving is on road, with occasional romps in the woods in October and November, I decided these are what's going on my new F150.