Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Appearance & Dress-Up
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 AM
New User

RhainyC is starting off with a positive reputation.
Plans for Wood Side Rails for Hauling?

I did a pretty intensive search and came up empty...

I have an 86 F150 1/2 ton 2WD with a standard bed, and need to build wood side rails, to increase my load/stacking capacity for a long distance move.

Does anyone have any basic/generic plans on how to build these out of wood?

Any help would be really appreciated!

RhainyC
Old 09-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Senior User

fyre82 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check my gallery and you can kinda see what I did for wood hauling. No plans, I just figured it out as I went.
Racks are in 3 pieces, headache rack, 2 side racks and bolt together with 4 bolts.
I also have another board that bolts to the top of the back for hauling stuff on top, like my 15' coleman canoe.
All side rack uprights are shaved to fit in stake pockets, thing squeaks bad until there is a load in the bed but works well. I have hauled sliding doors, firewood, furniture and misc. other stuff with them since I built 'em 10 years ago.
I did get some special back plates that the bolts tighten into and grip the wood from the inside, should be available at any hardware store.

Good luck

Rich

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2534007
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2868105
Old 09-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Posting Guru

George Frasier is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.George Frasier is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Post #2 is GREAT. A quick/cheap way to make stake sides is to "trim" 2x4 stakes to fit the pockets (6) and nail or screw 1x4's or 1x6's to the inside of the stakes. I'd space the horizontals a bit. I use an old hammock as a load cover - it will cover a standard bed and is stretchy
Old 10-04-2006, 09:15 AM
New User

RhainyC is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sadly...*whimper whimper whimper* My truck is back in the hands of it's original owner...and I am now the ummmm proud owner (I really do like her, but she is not a truck) of an 86 Chev Caprice Classic Station Wagon.

I will have another truck...soon...I hope...

But thanks are the reason for my posting...to all who helped out!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:15 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Appearance & Dress-Up

Tags
bed, build, building, canoe, f150, plans, rack, rails, side, sides, stakes, trailer, truck, wood, wooden