1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Critique of TCI leaf spring kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Critique of TCI leaf spring kit

I installed a TCI leaf spring kit this past weekend on my '48 and wanted to share some thoughts. The parts in the kit are of good quality, but some of the bolts were not included. A shipping problem, I believe. Everything bolts in according to the instructions. TCI assumes some amount of knowledge on the part of the installer, because some of the instructions are alittle vauge, but it's nothing most guys could't figure out. The kit lowers the truck 4", as advertised, and still has good wheel travel. I don't think I'll need to do any c-notching. The only real problems I had were due to the explorer rear axle. The kit (and most others) is made for a 3" diameter axle. The explorer is 3.25". This means that the u-bolt plates need to have the holes elongated with a rat tail to allow the stock 3.25 u-bolts to be used. The 3" u-bolts in the kit won't work, and neither will the stock u-bolt plate. The spring mounts also need to be modified for the 3.25 axle tube, which is easy to do with a 4" grinder. After mounting the shock crossmember, a very stout piece btw, I discovered the sway bar mount on the rear of the axle interferes with the shock. The bottom 2" of the sway bar mount must be cut off for clearance, which means fabbing a different sway bar. If the shock crossmember was smaller, I could have mounted it in front of the axle, flipped the u-bolt plates which contain the lower shock mount, and kept the stock sway bar. The kits u-bolt plates do have a sway bar mount on them, I'll have to find another bar to fit.

Overall, I'm happy with the kit. The install was easy, except for the problems unique to the explorer axle. I ordered it through my local hot rod shop, they put it on a regular stock order so I didn't have to pay any freight. No, I didn't take any pictures along the way. I forgot untill I was completly done. My wife even brought the camera out to the garage for me. I promise I'll post some of the Jaguar ifs install I just started.

Rusty

Old 08-31-2006, 10:33 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As my Grandpa always says, "That's hot rodding!" And I always say, "There is no such thing as a bolt-on kit."

Old 09-01-2006, 12:26 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rusty,
Was the kit specifically for a '48 with an Explorer axle? I suspect it was for a '48 with the stock axle, thereby requiring the mods you mentioned.
Bruce

Old 09-01-2006, 12:46 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts
I don't know how much room you have, but the sway bar will work just as well if you reverse the mounting arrangement, attaching the bar mounts to the frame (or the shock crossmember, or another crossmember ?) and attach the end links to the axle. This is the way most OEM swaybars are mounted.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
I installed the TCI leaf spring susp in my 48 project also.And as you said it was an easy install and good quality.I am very happy with my install.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:17 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Bruce, the kit was their standard 48-56 ford kit for a 3" diameter axle. The stock dana 41 is smaller in diameter, and the explorer is larger. If I had used a more common hot rod axle, like a 9", the install would have been much easier, but that's not TCI's fault. I wanted to let everyone know that an explorer is more work with this kit, and probably most kits for that matter. That said, I'm still happy with the kit, and you can't beat the availablity of the explorer axle. Correct width, disc brakes, lots of options for gearing, and only $100 at my local pull a part.
Chuck, the stock explorer bar mounts the bar to the back of the axle and the ends to the frame, pointing to the rear. The width of the bar, and the design of the end links would be a simple install on our trucks, except for the above mentioned problems. Unfortunatly, when you reverse the bar, (I thought of this too) nothing works. I'll have to cruise the junkyards for a simple, u shaped bar, with standard end links, 41" wide. 3/4" diameter bar would be about right, I think. The jag front has a 3/4" bar, also, which I think is too small for this truck, expecially when combined with a 3/4 rear bar. I found a 1 1/8 bar from a big buick sedan which will give me better balance. Nothing scarier than an oversteering truck.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:10 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You might want to look at CPP's universal rear stabilizer bar. I used one with my 48 and it worked out okay after I figured out how to mount it without interference. I think it was around $130.

Vern

Old 09-02-2006, 08:14 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts
3/4" bar does seem a little light for a front bar, but you also need to figure in if it's a solid or hollow bar. a hollow bar acts like a size larger solid bar. I'd try the Jag bar first since it was designed for that unit, so much depends on the roll center of the suspension and the center of gravity along with the bump valving of the shocks (and even if the rear is LSD and type) that it's hard to decide on bar size by seat of the pants. We are using a 1 1/8" hollow aftermarket bar on the front of the Miata and the stock 3/4" solid bar on the Celica.
Easy way to test sway bars is to run a traction circle. I can give you more info if you're (or anyone else) is interested.
Saner and others will build you any size swaybar you'd like for 100-150.00.