1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball Joint Break in Period?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:28 PM
99SDNyterun
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball Joint Break in Period?

Took my truck in to get the wheel bearings replaced (driver's side was singing pretty loud). Decided to have the ball joints replaced at the same time since they were still original at 133,000. Got the truck back and the steering is just not right. At high speeds it acts like an old F100 woundering back and forth and the steering is pretty tight when you try to correct the woundering. I have taken it back to Ford and had the alignment checked twice. They adjusted it slightly and "loosened" the stearing gear box. Truck is better at low speeds but still not right at highway speeds. Ford is telling me there is a "break-in" period for the ball-joints. I don't remember my friends F350 having a break-in period when he replaced his ball joints. Truck tracked fine before the work was done. Tie-rod ends also checked out. Truck is a 99 350 CC SRW 8ft bed. Just wanted to get an opinion from some folks that have already changed their ball joints.

Thanks.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:39 PM
fordlovin
Junior User
I haven't changed mine yet but you just described exactly how mine drives with completely dried up 177,000 mile ball joints.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:51 PM
50jd60
Senior User
There is no such thing as break in time on ball joints, or anything else on front end parts. Take it to another place and see what they tell you.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 PM
99SDNyterun
New User
That's what I thought 50jd60. I guess I'll take it to a tire place and have them check it out. I don't normally use a dealership for this type of work but I'm definately not a front end mechanic. I used the MOOG replacements as suggested for the ball joints and I doubt they were defective.

Raining pretty good here right now but I'll try jacking up the front-end and see if I can get anything to move outside the norm later on.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:46 AM
Dsl Lover
Senior User
I had both upper and lower on both sides done (on my 99 F250 2wd SC 8' bed) a month or 2 back and had immediately better & tighter steering. It didn't wander before, but its extra stable now. If they are telling you that there is a break in period on ball joints, I would find another dealer/mechanic. I don't understand why the stealership always wants to insult our intelligence!

Old 09-08-2006, 01:56 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Wow! These stealerships come up with some weird stuff. What a load of bull! You should take it to another dealership and have them check it out. Absolutely NO break-in period for ball joints!!!

It would be funny...IF it were not so serious! Once again...the dealership is ruining FORD reputation. Then FORD top exec's wonder why they keep losing billions in Northern America. FIX the dealerships...and the rest will fall in line. Stop blaming the Japanese products from taking sales. It is the dealerships service pushing the US market to the Japanese products! Experts my bunns!!!

Whew...sorry about that rant!...but I just had to get that off my chest. (off soap box now)

biz

Old 09-08-2006, 03:10 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
I have a 2002 F-350 4x4 with 101K miles
I just had my ball joints replaced after failing an IL state truck safety inspection.
I had HEAVY METAL PERFORMANCE replace the upper and lower ball joints.
I had no break-in period on these and have not had any steering issues or roughness on road at low speed or high speeds.
I went back after install and truck passed inspection.
I am going to get an alignment, just to be sure all is well
I just got my truck back from a dealership that replaced my power steering pump under warranty and my 315's are much easier to turn now!!!!!

Old 09-08-2006, 03:12 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
If it goes so far as having another shop fix what the dealership screwed up, KEEP A PAPER TRAIL.

Get a signed quote/estimate for what's wrong with it, go back to the dealer and hand it to the service manager, not a counter person. See what they say.

To me, it sounds like they didn't align it after all that work, and maybe don't even realize it wasn't done.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:34 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
do the new dana 50/60's have the little balljoints preload adjustment in the top of the knuckle like the older axles??? if so they could have set the preload too tight?

Old 09-08-2006, 08:45 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Great point Kubota!

Old 09-09-2006, 05:01 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
ive found that most mechanics do not even know what that adjustment is when doing balljoints and it gets toyed with and it tightened too much it can really mess up your steering....i cant beleive they adjusted your steering box, i woudl tell them to tighten that back up.....mention the balljoint preload to them

Old 09-09-2006, 05:57 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
At 133K you could have other steering and suspension parts that are worn out also.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:14 AM
magnum300
Senior User
do moog balljoints come pre greased?

Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the preload issue is what you are after, but here is something you can try before the ford dealership.

try blocking your front end up so there is no weight on all 4 ball joints or steering. They are moogs so I assume they are greasable. Try getting grease in them all and seeing it comes out evenly and clean. I wonder if you have a dry joint or some dry spots. Now cycle the steering lock to lock a few times and grease and clean again in a different position.

All I am suggesting is a try incase you have a dry BJ. Also, you will get a feel for stiff spots or find any binding? Worth a try before you go back. I would suggest you take it back to the dealer that did the work and have them correct the problem with their work rather than another dealer or tire shop. Just havea conversation with the service manager that you expect them to fix it right and that you paid for a repair not to have more problems.

I replaced my 2000's BJs at 120k and it had no problems no pre load, no grease issues. they used Moog greasable, top two had zirks, bottom two you hav a plug yoou must put in a zirk with half shaft out....

Old 09-13-2006, 03:11 PM
99SDNyterun
New User
Appreciate the help on this one. I had already taken it back to Ford trying to get a better solution. They put the truck back on the rack and went over everything. They tightened the steering box back up and "re-checked" the alignment. Alightment was not right so truck rides alot better but still has a small wandering issue. I'm going to take it back and ask them about the preload adjustment and see what type of response I get. I wish dealerships had report cards you could look up before you went to them. I have a friend who is a Ford mechanic and their whole shop is awesome and so is the upper management. Unfortunately that shop is over 900 miles away. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Break in Period?