Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Batteries question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:09 AM
d_stange
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Batteries question.

Seems that i need a new set of batteries. How many CCA are you guys running. The old ones that are in there a 725CCA. Seems a little small for a diesel pickup. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:26 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,118 Likes on 2,174 Posts
i use the largest group 27 batteries i can get from napa. i think they are 1150 cca.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:43 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Minimum is 850CCA each..... Wallymart has 1000CCA

Old 08-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Recently bought two Kirkland 1000CCA's at COSTCO for my 91' F350.

I used to swear on the Sears DIHARD when they were still manufacturered by Johnson Controls. I still got a set of DIHARD's I bought in 2000 in my 93' F250. The new DIHARD's are junk. I put one in my wifes Windstar and it caused me grief for two years as it would intermittently drain and the Van would not start. My wife was ready to buy a new van until I eventually got Sears to replace the battery evenso it passed all the load tests. Note, I installed a new altinator, regulator, cables, clean connection, starter, etc.. before I finally concluded that it had to be the battery that was causing all the grief.

Turns out that the Kirkland Batteries are now made by Johnson Controls. I paid about $CDN 150 ($US 135) c/w all the taxes, environmental levies etc... for both batteries. A steal if you ask me.

Seb....

Last edited by Hamberger; 08-28-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:04 PM
d_stange
Senior User
i used to run interstate in everything but i don't have the 100 bucks a piece for them right now so i'm going to put in a set of chepes and hope for the best. I'm going to be putting a plow on and they say plows eat up batteries anyway so i might as well keep on putting in the cheap ones.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:59 PM
tuke
Junior User
I just bought 2 from wally world $62.00 ea made all the differance in starting.l

Old 08-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get factory motorcraft batteries they work good Ford used that style of battery for years I'am pretty sure its group 27 its been awhile.

Kirkland brand batteries from Costco are decent I have used them before.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:49 AM
d_stange
Senior User
i bought a set last night for 38 dollars a piece with exchange. there 1,050CCA seems to really wake her up a bit. Now i have another question. seems that now i change the batteries the i'll hear a clicking noiseafter the engine start. it'll go "click,click,for about 10 sec. Is that just the glow plug controller? Does that mean it's going bad? Also, what kind of glow plugs are you guys using. What's the best for a fair price? I still think she has a few weak ones it still seems to have to crank a little longer than i would like.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:30 AM
F450 Aaron
Senior User
Odyssey Battery

Does anyone here run odyssey dry cell batteries? Just wondering I saw them at a truck show one time and they seemed to have a wide variety of products.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Old 08-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Batteries can make a real difference. I make it a point to change them every 8 to 10 years whether that start to go bad or not.

The clicking noise you are hearing is your glow plug controller and it is working.
The other thing to check if your glow plugs are working properly is to see how long the "Wait to Start" light stays on. If it cold out and the engine is cold it should stay on up to 20 seconds. For temperature above 32F it should only stay on about 5-10 seconds. If it comes on and immediately turns off then you most likely got a bad glowplug.

Personally I have never had a "weak" plug. In my experience the plugs either work or they don't. Just run a quick check on all of them with a 12V Test light. Here is the procedure. Again in my experience plugs last for about 60k miles and should all be changed after that.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...=1#post3548618

I figure your latest starting problems are probably fuel system related. Go heavy on the additive, they can make a world of difference.

Best of luck and keep those IDI rattling,

Seb.....

Old 08-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Aaron,

Never heard of the Odessey battery till now. I am always skeptical about trying new things like that unless I have references from lots of experienced users.

What you want for the IDI is the largest CCA rated battery you can fit in your truck that will deliver the rated CCA for as long as possible. I noticed that the Odessey only delivers the high CCA for a very short time, which is probably not enough.

On a really cold day the glow plug controller will draw huge amps for up to 20 seconds before you even get to crank the engine over. You need a battery that will consistantly produce the rated CCA and not drop off.

Seb......

Old 08-29-2006, 11:04 AM
d_stange
Senior User
Seb, truck has 150000 miles on it now. Had 149000 when i bought it. Don't know if glows have ever been changed. Should i just throw in a set to be safe? How much are they a piece. I don't want have the same starting problems my 6.5TD had in that chevy.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
A lot of people I know tend to change one plug at a time. This is a bad way of doing things in my mind and I know from personal experience with my Dads 92 that you will be chasing your tail forever changing plugs due to the resistance imbalance between the new and old plugs.

Yes, get yourself to a new baseline and put in eight brand new "BERU" Plugs that say "MADE IN GERMANY" right on the body of the plug. DO NOT PUT IN ANY OTHER PLUG.

This will give you your best change at a reliable glow plug system that will last for 60k miles or more. And yes, you could still get a bad new plug, but the chances of that are slim.

I am told Autozone has them in the US for about $9.99 a piece.

I know of only one place in all of Western Canada that has them, a company in Maple Ridge. Email me and I will send you the contact. I paid almost $200 CDN for ten plugs about a year ago.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:46 AM
d_stange
Senior User
Don't have an AutoZone around where i live. Have napa, autovalue,and ford dealers. That's what i get for living in the sticks.LOL But the name is Buru? They don't look like there hard to get at but how easy do they come out?

Old 08-29-2006, 12:24 PM
mondotto
New User
Originally Posted by d_stange
i used to run interstate in everything but i don't have the 100 bucks a piece for them right now so i'm going to put in a set of chepes and hope for the best. I'm going to be putting a plow on and they say plows eat up batteries anyway so i might as well keep on putting in the cheap ones.
I have (2) 850's in my 2001 F250 which I installed before last winter. I would give some consideration to the charging capability of the alternator (I dont know what is installed on your vehicle) as well. The 130 amp on my truck seems to be adequate but just barely. More often than not plowing is done in bad weather so lights, wipers and fans (and definitely music) add to the consumption. If I was using the old Myers plow that was on my 87 F150 on this truck it wouldn't be and issue but I'm using a Boss HD and it uses much more energy. I have ordered the dual alt kit and am looking forward to seeing a difference. One thing is for sure though bigger is better in this case especially for a winter in Minn..

good luck

tom

Quick Reply: Batteries question.