1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ticking Noise in 2.3L

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Qmc08
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Ticking Noise in 2.3L

Hi, i have a 02 ranger 2.3L Manual tranny. Has about 96,500 miles on it. I have recently noticed that i am having a ticking noise coming from underneath the hood. Cant hear it while looking underneath the hood but you can hear it while in the cab. It does not do it when it is cold, not that i have noticed anyways. When i hit the gas while the engine is warm and let off you can hear it while the engine idles back down....and if you listen really close sounds like you can hear it while driving 55 or 60, not sure if thats what i hear though. Its not a loud tick but loud enough to annoy you. I have been reading on the forums in here and i have found lots of suggestions. Could the belt make a ticking noise? If it is the lifters how hard are they to replace and how much do they cost? Could any sensors cause a tick? I know that sometimes in the morning when i start the truck that it wont start right up and idle at like 900 rpm...instead it idles at like 400 or 500 until i tap the gas then it idles up to 1500 rpm then back to normal. Anyone know what could cause this? I appreciate all your help!

Old 08-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Eric.S
Junior User
Injectors? really dont know, I had a 2.9 that the injectors ticked like crazy on.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:13 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Injectors shouldn't be heard in the cab no matter what.

Exhaust leak? Our Silverado has a minor one (and it sounds cool...why fix it?), it's practically un-noticeable until you give it a bit of gas and then you really can hear it, unless it downshifts then the engine noise drains it out. Sound at all like what you hear? It does sound like a ticking and it's bloody hard to replicate at a stop. I powerbrake and revved the engine, but you can't really do that in a stick.

As for the very low idle, sounds like the computer doesn't know how cold the engine is (when you start the truck and it's warmed up it will fairly quickly assume a normal idle). I believe the "regular" idle is 600 RPM or so, I read it somewhere a while back on here.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Qmc08
New User
Nah it doesnt sound like an exhaust leak.....i have isolated it to be under the hood. It sounds like its the top end of the motor...its not a loud hard banging noise like a crank or anything. Its a mild ticking, very annoying after you know its there, and it goes in tune with the engine...when you hit the gas and let off you can here the tick idleing down with the motor.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:58 PM
groovyjason
New User
2.3 engine has lifters that tend to get stuck (remember this was the original pinto engine). Before the next oil change add some (less than 1/2 quart) of ATF to the crankcase, since ATF is such a high detergent oil, it will break up any slug on the lifters and the ticking will go away. Note: Do not overfill the crankcase, or put ATF in it and drive for the duration of the oil change. Just put it in, drive like 10-15 miles, then change the oil.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Tiggie
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by groovyjason
(remember this was the original pinto engine).
Since when did a Pinto get a DOHC engine! That'd be an awesome rice burner. No, the '02 Ranger had a Duratec 2.3 DOHC, completely different from the Lima 2.3L and 2.5L SOHC in eariler Rangers.

Personally, my injectors tick like crazy on my Lima 2.3. I have no idea why, the truck only has 85K on it and has been well maintained.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:42 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you SURE it's not the injectors. Quiet ticking in tune with the engine RPMs. I can hear mine SLIGHTLY if the radio is off and the windows are down.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:40 AM
Qmc08
New User
Can injectors sound like lifters ticking? All i know is that its annoying as heck. I think i can hear it when i am driving at normal operating speed. When i rev up the engine while i am sitting still i can hear the ticking stay in tune with the engine until it gets back to idle, then i dont hear it anymore. What type of ATF do i put in my oil? I know there are many types just not sure which to go with....and will it do any damage by putting that into engine oil? Thanks again everyone!!

Old 08-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Tiggie
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Qmc08
Can injectors sound like lifters ticking?
Yes.
Originally Posted by Qmc08
What type of ATF do i put in my oil? I know there are many types just not sure which to go with....and will it do any damage by putting that into engine oil?
I guess any kind will work. I've heard of putting some down in the intake to clean combustion chambers. I guess you'd be fine putting a little bit in the oil, and like he said, run it for 10-15 minutes.

My friend swears by Seafoam. He would recommend adding Seafoam to the gas, then through the intake, and then in the oil.

BTW, if your engine is totally nasty inside with sludge (look inside the valve cover for some nasty black gunk), I wouldn't use any of those cleaning agents in the oil. They will break up the sludge and you will have some serious problems then.