1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Steering column

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Spocahp Anar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering column

Well its as I have feared the gears for the shifter on the column are worn out. Does anyone know where I can get a rebiult or aftermarket steering column for a ford truck 1970 model? If not then its gonna be a floor shift kit which I do not want to do or AT steering column and AT.

Speaking of AT's what would have to be done to one if its been sitting up in a Junkyard?

Old 08-19-2006, 12:32 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you in SC? I consider Aiken and "Burnwell" as my home, although I have to live in Maryland for the now.

There are no shifting gears in a steering column - do you mean the collar?
You may have only to replace the rubber grommets in the shift linkage, replace the collar, and/or adjust it to make it work right.
As for an automatic transmission, there are many possibilities for one from a junkyard. It may be excellent, or total trash, not even worth rebuilding. You won't know until you buy it and have it looked at by a transmission expert.
However, you need to identify what you have first, to learn what can go in your truck.
Do you have a 6 cylinder or a V-8? Which V-8?
You could put either a C-4 or a C-6 behind whatever engine you have, change the steering column, and you have a factory built automatic gearbox. (There may be a few more details to deal with, such as shift linkage and driveshaft alterations, but nothing is that hard to do. Ford kept many of the same details for the trucks from '65 - '79, so you have a lot of inexpensive bolt-on options.)

Post back, and let us know what you want to do, and we can guide you through it.

To show you how easy the bolt-up options can be, here is what I did to my '65 F-100:
I am getting 14.8 MPG at 65 MPH with a nearly stock 460 in my '66 F-100. And I have power to spare.
‘86 460 bored 60 over with stock '86 heads - no porting
'77 F-250 460 engine perches and mounts
'69 straight up cam gears, Cloyes double roller with RV type cam
Edelbrock Performer (not RPM) intake and 1470 750 CFM carb on a 1" phenolic spacer
'76 Duraspark II ignition
Stock aftermarket manifolds with a 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust (plain mufflers); copper gaskets
'93 serpentine belt brackets and pulleys
'78 power steering pump, hoses
with ’93 PS pulley
'76 power steering box
’76 power steering pitman arm
’92 power steering cooler, mounted in the frame
'70 steering column
'66 radiator (re-cored)
'66 alternator
with '93 serpentine pulley and fan
'86 water pump
'86 fan clutch with '77 7-blade fan
'83 C-6 from an '83 F-350 fifth wheeler, with '77 C-6 linkage (internal shift rod and kickdown)
2.75 rear end
'83 stock rear sump oil pan, with stock oil pump, pickup tube and dipstick (includes main bearing bolt with stud to hold pickup in place)
Includes '93 A/C compressor, but A/C is not installed. (needed for the serpentine belts.)
’76 F-150 3-inch rear brakes

The only modifications I had to make were:
Fabricate an accelerator cable bracket by combining an FE one with a 385 one.
Shorten the front driveshaft to adapt to the C-6 (with a conversion joint)<o></o>

Old 09-02-2006, 10:19 PM
mc5314
New User
Gear Shift

Hi

I am new on the Site. This my first request for help/advice.

I have a 1969 Ford F-100. Three Foward Gears and Reverse.

The shifting Level is mounted on the Steering Columun under the Steering Wheel.

The gears do what I call hanging up when trying to shift gears.

I can open the hood and line the linkage up ---then by pulling up on the gear shift leveler firmly toward the steering wheel shift smoothly in to 1st (low gear) or Reverse.

I can shift from 1st gear to Reverse by pulling up toward the steering wheel firmly on the shift level while shifting between the two gears and back again.

When I try to let go of the shifting lever enought at about where netual is s located to try to shift to 2nd gear the gears hang up.

Right now can only drive my truck in 1st and reverse.

I have suceed by working with the linkage under the hood then the shift level to get it in 2nd and third gear while stopped. 2nd gear will move the truck and third gear trys to the time I ran a test to be sure. ( Can not do this except to test it because it hard on the clutch)

The Clutch is good and engages and dis-engages great.

Any help/advice would be great and many thanks

Old 09-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Your cab is slowing sinking on the mounts and is causing the shifting to jam up.

Also check for looseness in the shift joints.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:08 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
mc5314, Welcome to the Nations Truck Stop

When you shift your truck try applying pressure on the shift lever. Gently pull it towards the steering wheel when you shift out of 1st. Let it drop fully in neutral, giving it a gentle nuge towards the dash. Push straight up into 2nd, with no pressure towards the dash, just lift it.

My recall is that the problem was always shifting from 1st. to 2nd.

Give that a try and let us know what happend.

John

Old 09-04-2006, 08:54 AM
mc5314
New User
Mil1ion

I just posted a reply to Jowilker detailing more of my shifting problem. Please read it and also give me as much advice as possible too

I found two Black looking rubber or plastic round wedges between the cab and railing --one on each side--apprear to be about 6 inches in diamter.

Going to check the linkage gumetts and taps for tightness and also asked Jowilker where the shifting gear columun COLLAR was and how to replace it.

Take care and many thanks to you and Jowilker for your help/advice.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Mil1ion
New User
You know 64 Chevrolet Cars used to have this problem as well.

I can't tell you how many times shifting from 1st -2nd the shifter would get stuck near the neutral position.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:06 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

mc5314, I posted how to deal with the problem, not trying to fix it.

John

Old 09-04-2006, 05:52 PM
mc5314
New User
Hi Jowilker

You are correct your Post was on how to deal with the existing Problem. Thanks a million for the advice. I tried my best to follow your instructions even printed them out to re-read in the Truck just prior to trying to do the shifting. I was unsucessful after about 20 time in doing it correctly. Just would not work for me. A friend of mine who has an old truck tried and was able to shift to 2nd and 3rd once out of about ten trys.

I typed a long rambling reply to you about my attempts to shift following your instructions--hence the comment to Mil1ion to please read my Post to you which for some reason FAILED to Post.
I am not good with Computers and must have keyed edit or something instead of Post. I then Posted to Mil1ion and it was successfully Posted.
I will keep trying to shift as you told me ---just in case have not got the hange of it yet--no need to fix something that does not need fixing. I long ago drove an old 55 ford car with the same 3 on a tree shift-----which would hang up in a flash if you were not careful to do it just right---the way it wanted you to do it! LOL.

Thanks always for any help/advice you give me.
I got a lot of things to do on the truck but it fun for me and my 4 year old Grand Son who wants to paint it purple and likes me to crank it up and creep around the yard.
Thanks Again!

Last edited by mc5314; 09-04-2006 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Add---Grand Son
Old 09-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Mil1ion
New User
What happens when you double clutch the shift?

apply Clutch... shift from 1st to neutral .... let off clutch

apply clutch.... shift to 2nd......let off clutch

Old 09-04-2006, 07:44 PM
mc5314
New User
Thanks! Have not tried that method yet! I will first thing in the tomorrow after a cup of hot coffee. I would right now but it is pitch dark outside and raining. These old three on the tree seem to have their own little individual ways they will allow you to shift gears in their old age. Thanks again between you and Jowilker --I might yet get the hang of shifting the gears good enough for my purposes. I remember the old 55 Ford and can not remember anyone other than myself and Father who could shift the gears without hanging the gears up. So going to keep trying.

My 1969 Ford F100 has a good cab and glass except a small pebble nick on passenger side of windshield. Seat worn badly and no bed. Engine runs real good and have to be real carefully not give it much gas or the rear wheel spin like heck. Laugh a lot about having to turn the steering wheel a lot more than car of today. I better not gain any weigh or my belly will not fit behind the steering wheel. I am planning on making a wooden flat bed for it ----got the idea from reading old Post on this Site and the Plan plus a Picture. I had want a flat bed but did not know how to go about making one. I was up most of last night reading Old Post and searching for info and ideas for my truck. This SITE IS GREAT!

Old 09-04-2006, 08:21 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

MC, My bride used to have the same problem. I would need for her to drive my truck sometimes, and she would hang the gears up every time. I kept a hammer on the floorboard so she could get them unstuck. I could drive the truck for months on end end not stick the gears. We don't have that ol truck anymore, but the one I replaced it with, I eleminated the problem with a C6 auto. Aint been stuck between gears in years. lol.

Like Dennis said, the problem was shared with other makes too.

Anyways, I hope you can get some relief.

John

Old 09-04-2006, 09:54 PM
mc5314
New User
Thanks! I will let you and Mil1ion know the results of my efforts tomorrow. I will be tighten bolts, cleaning/shinning and inspecting, identifying, labeling the wiring plus making my own diagram of any modification from the original done by previous owners. There is a lot of excess wiring in place connected to nothing plus some of the wiring is very old with the insulation having seen better days and ripe to short out. I just going to take my time and not change/replace anything but just study the wiring until have a very clear picture of how it was wired--even if it is tempting to remove old excess wire now. The truck runs great and all the lights except the turn signals work---how with different owner doing wiring over the years is beyond me. Thank goodness --I have some knowledge about electrical wiring of OLD TV. RADIOS and household items like vacuum cleaner, washing machine and etc. I may for the time being just rig me up some turn signals on it own individual circuit until ready to re-wire the truck. I want to learn where each wire is and it purpose, then label them, and make sure when I look at original diagram and my added diagram of changes it is correct. I got nothing but time when feeling physical able to do so--to get it right.
But in the mean time if I get my shifting down and some temp turn signal can enjoy driving to the store. All other safety feature of a 1969 truck function and it has very good brakes for a 1969--just have to remember--they are not anti-lock brakes and to pump the brake the old fashion way to prevent skids.

PS--Reference to hammer for gears---My father use to keep a stick under the hood of a old truck and would whop if I remember right the voltage regulator with it to make the truck function.

thanks again for your help and advice!

Old 09-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Mil1ion
New User
The nice thing about Ford's wiring is the colour coding.

It lasted for years and I mean years.

Ie: Blue/Red Stripe is dash and cluster illumination ( Radio,Ash tray,etc)
Ie: Red/Black stripe was used for Brake wiring
Green/Yellow was Courtesy Lights (Under dash,Glove box,etc)

We're here to help

Old 09-05-2006, 05:27 PM
mc5314
New User
Hi

Thanks for the wiring color code information it will come in handy.

I tried again today to shift the gears into 2nd and 3rd by double clutching with out success---but grinded a gear once for the first time. I noticed the power point was less than half way of the pedal from the floor.

Before I try again will adjust the power point higher on the pedal, put the truck on a small metal runner used years ago to change oil, clean the linkage real good, check the bolts/taps for tightness and grommets for wear.

I have to wait until my son or someone is with me---do not need to get struck under the truck plus in my condition might not even be able get of the ground by myself.

I will keep working slow but surely. I measured, placed wood on the truck rail to insure fit, located rail hole for bolting the framing of my truck bed, figured out what 4 by 4's, 2 by 4 's needed and the right size wooden brace to be put across where the wheels are located. I decided to just keep it real simple and deck it with 13 ---2 by 6's OR ------6 --2 by 12 plus one 2 by 6. Should wind up with a nice little stake bed about 8 ft long.

The truck has a towing ball and a heavy duty trailer hitch and on the front a strong mount for a winch. So if need to haul a large item, etc can just hook a trailer behind it.

Will keep you posted on my efforts.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Last edited by mc5314; 09-05-2006 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering column