Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

DTC Code P0320 Alternator or Crankshaft Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:07 PM
jaxnole
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTC Code P0320 Alternator or Crankshaft Speed Sensor

This board has been an amazing help to my working on my 2001 V6 Escape. Thanks to the owner and the contributors!

On that same Escape recently the battery discharge light on the panel began illuminating at highway speeds for twenty minutes at a time. When I slowed down to 55 the light would go out after a couple minutes. Then I could speed up to 65 - 70 again until it came on again. The cycle continued for about two hundred miles.

So arriving home I bought an Autozone reman alternator and took several hours and replaced the 120,000 mile OEM alternator. I discovered a few problems with the drive line and fixed the warped rotors while I was there. After everything was reassembled I made an appointment for a detailing to get it ready for sale. (The sale was decided before the problems.)

After the detailing, where the guy pressure washed the engine, the check engine light came on with a code of P0320. It also began to stall and finally quit running. After it cooled off I was able to drive it 2 miles home and it was stalling again when I got to the driveway. I haven't started it since.

In one thread on this board a post was made regarding the crankshaft speed sensor and its cause of the P0320 code. Another spoke to the fact that a bad alternator can cause RF that interferes with the sensor's signal.

My questions are: Would the pressure washing have been able to cause the problem with the speed sensor or is it more likely there is RF interference from the Autozone reman alternator? Is there a good shadetree mechanic method to troubleshoot either of these problems?

Thanks for any info!
Paul

Old 08-17-2006, 04:53 PM
bananaboat
Senior User
I haven't experienced that DTC but what scares me - they power washed the engine. They could have knocked something loose or moisture is now residing where moisture shouldn't resulting in a false problem code. See how "good" they power washed. Is your air filter wet? If so, your MAF is close by and could have issues. I'd pull the boots off the front 3 COPs and see if you've got water underneath too - a real good reason why not to power wash the engine. If you have any of those issues then I'd be raising the roof with the detail shop. Might be a good idea to talk to them about their liability insurance that will pay for a repair shop to find/fix the issue due to their negligence.

On a side note, my 98 F150 alternator acted the same way around 120k miles. The light would come on but I could keep if off by driving between 55-65mph. Worn brushes.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:02 AM
jaxnole
New User
Thanks for the input, bananaboat. Everything else seems fine. It could just be coincidence that the CSS gave it up.

I have had the P0401 as well and had just done the work to fix that; EGR and flow sensor, dontcha you know.

Thanks again.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:30 PM
bananaboat
Senior User
So the CSS did die at that time by coincidence?

Old 08-20-2006, 09:13 AM
jaxnole
New User
I don't know yet. My assumption is that the washing got the sensor quite wet. However, I have also just installed a new alternator. It will be difficult to know for sure which caused it. I guess I'll try the $24 NAPA part and replace the sensor first. If no luck with that...

I hate to think about pulling the new alternator out. What a bear!

Paul

Old 08-22-2006, 10:46 PM
MazdaRangerGuy
Elder User
If you think the alternator may be causing it, just unplug the alternator connector and run it a short distance... see if symptoms are still present.

I'm wondering if water got down into the crank sensor connector...

goood luck

Old 08-24-2006, 11:48 PM
jaxnole
New User
Originally Posted by MazdaRangerGuy
If you think the alternator may be causing it, just unplug the alternator connector and run it a short distance... see if symptoms are still present.

I'm wondering if water got down into the crank sensor connector...

goood luck
Well, I think I need to pull the alternator to disconnect it. Or a really long arm to go from the top I think.

The water is probably the problem. The car sat for a week and a half in the Florida heat. I drove it yesterday for about 5 miles with two start cycles and no code, no check engine, nor a stall. Perhaps it's all over.

Thanks,
Paul