1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sad. So very sad.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Sad. So very sad.......

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...5_615487239303

Okay. Hope the pictures show. (Wife's program that came with the camera)
This truck is sitting in the back lot of a company in the town where I work. It's a one owner vehicle that hasn't been used for years. Company won't sell it and there it sits. It's a C500 (I know, wrong group to post into, but where would I put it??!!!) It's pretty much complete and it's pretty rare. (How many do you see on the street everyday?) Anyway, just thought I'd share it with everybody here. I think it's so ugly that it's cute, but I'd buy it in a minute.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,381 Likes on 1,137 Posts
It`s not in the wrong group to post into as far as I can tell. You are right that it's pretty rare and no, in my eyes it's not ugly in the least. I too would buy it in a minute.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:42 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if I didn't want or need it (Ha Ha Ha), I would buy that just to get it back into the market for those that love those Uugly Ol' things.
It really upsets me when I run into a situation like that and have to watch it slowly melt into the earth because "I'm gonna do something with it".

Old 08-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Jet Jock
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool truck....Make a very nice hauler. I went to NSRA nationals at Louisville (11544 pre 49 vehicles) and there were several haulers for sale for 60K and up.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:26 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,113 Likes on 820 Posts
Like Dick said, it's a killer to see an old vehicle slowly rust into the ground. I found a panel truck in the back of a farm when the farmer's son answered an ad I placed looking for old truck parts. He has the panel sitting behind some other junk and it's full of old flathead hi performance parts, I don't know if any of it is any good. He won't sell the panel because he doesn't want anyone getting hurt getting it out of there. I first saw it about eight years ago and I check back every year or so to check the status, still the same. The area is getting developed so I keep checking to see if there is a "For Sale" sign on the farm. When one goes up I will try to get there before he calls in a scrapper to come and get all of his "junk"

Old 08-14-2006, 08:31 AM
mark914
Senior User
wow that truck looks SOLID. what state is that in? KS? just curious

Old 08-14-2006, 09:12 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wouldn't that make a great hauler for your pick-up?

Old 08-14-2006, 05:49 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,930 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Thats a shame that they won't turn loose of it. What a great truck!

Bobby

Old 08-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by mark914
wow that truck looks SOLID. what state is that in? KS? just curious
Actually, the truck is in Nebraska. Here's the story I've been told: Truck was purchased new by this company used mainly to haul daily trash to the dump. This era was probably before you had dumpsters. After dumpsters came to be popular, it just simply ran out of work and was parked. Here's the kicker: The CEO of the company wants to have the company supervisors work on the truck, fix it up and drive it for company PR. A supervisor summed it up real good. "We work 12+ hours a day. None of us has the skill or the determination to fix up an old truck. At the end of the day we just want to go home." So......, there it sits.
The truck is solid. A little ouchie on the left fender and a little dimple on rear, top of the cab. Dash is is great condition and hasn't been gutted. Right side of the truck is in excellent condition, sheet-metal wise. As you can see, it even has all or most of the exterior trim.
Like I said, the fact that it is sinking into the ground, not being used and yet not being worked on is sad.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:39 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have the CEO sell it to you when you tell him you will run the company logo if he foots the paint bill for the full truck.
And remind him that he will be long buried before his unskilled and overworked employees get around to it

Old 08-15-2006, 08:09 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 286merc
Have the CEO sell it to you when you tell him you will run the company logo if he foots the paint bill for the full truck.
And remind him that he will be long buried before his unskilled and overworked employees get around to it
A similar thing occurred here. There was a cement mixing company that had two 48 Ford F7 or F8 cement mixer parked in the back of their yard for the longest time.

Here's a picture of the first truck to be restored, courtesy of our own Bob Jones:

The owner had the company fund the restoration to how the trucks looked back when they used them. He also now has a white colored cement mixer of the same year. Also restored and bears the company's name. I have pictures of both somewhere, but can't find them.

The owner and the company are local to me and I've seen both trucks, including this one, at many local shows. They are truly a beauty to see in person. Everything has been restored or replaced on both trucks.

Ilya

Old 08-15-2006, 08:48 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Found the picture of both trucks.

The yellow truck was the original company that was bought out by RMC Materials, white truck pictured. RMC Materials bought Pacific Ready-Mix a few decades ago and inherited their fleet.

The yellow truck is restored to how Pacific Ready Mix's fleet was when they were in business and the white truck is painted and lettered with the new company's name, RMC Materials. This is the current paint/logo scheme the truck run now.

The white truck is slightly hot-rodded. While it is still mostly stock, it does have lots more chrome than what came from the factory. From what I remember, the front suspension beam is chromed and so is the oil-bath air cleaner. There are lots more chromed parts, but those were the only two that caught my eye.

Ilya

Old 08-16-2006, 07:20 AM
theGman
Posting Guru
What a great pair of trucks!

Old 08-16-2006, 11:14 PM
SunDown
Senior User
COEs are really gaining in popularity nowadays and quite frankly, they look awesome when done up right.

We just moved from Portland OR to Des Moines IA but when I was back there int he great NW I started to see quite a few COEs cabs and clips dressed onto half-ton frames and dressed with a half-ton bed, bagged and sittin low to the earth. Most look real nice. I have seen lots of chevs, I saw a couple of old Fargo COEs done this way but I have never seen a c600 or the like done like this, has anyone else? PICS?

Old 08-17-2006, 07:59 PM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One approach is to not take no for an answer. Keep going back there and asking every few months. After a year has gone by and no progress was made on the truck, the boss may relent. Getting the restored truck painted in company livery is a great idea.

Quick Reply: Sad. So very sad.......