1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help from you experts out there...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:36 AM
GreenSalsa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help from you experts out there...

Hate to do this, but my wife and I are going to have to let our Nash 32D travel trailer go. We bought it after my last tour in Afghanistan</ST1:place. I am an active duty officer in the Army and next summer we will be moved to California </ST1:pfor 18 months. After long deliberation we have decided to “full time” it with an upgraded fifth wheel. The cost of rent would “outstrip” any reasonable place to stay and the military campground will “host” us for the 18 months.

My eye is on a Cardinal Fifth wheel that comes in at 15,000 GCVW….what do you guys recommend? Obviously I will have to get at least a F350 (sniff…I will have to let go of my Excursion, Limited 4x4, PSD), but I have a couple of questions for the forum.

<O:p</O:p
Can I go with SRW or do I need DRW?<O:p</O:p

What axle ratio should I go with? <O:p</O:p

What features would you insist in the truck?<O:p</O:p

Is the ford (factory installed) brake controller any good, or should I stay with my prodigy?<O:p</O:p

I have two small children (5 and 3), the DVD system we have in the Excursion is a real saver during critical times (unhitching, loading, long traveling days), has anyone ever seen a F350 with that option?

Thanks<O:p</O:p

GreenSalsa<O:p</O:p

Moderator edit - please take For-Sale parts of your post to the Classifieds or Local Chapter sections. Thanks. :)

Last edited by ryaneverk2; 08-09-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:52 PM
crock
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trailer

GS,
I tow a 38 foot fifth wheel . I like the stability of dual tires especially in a cross wind. If you get the 350 get the tow-boss package, 23500 gcvw I believe. That will give you a 4.30 gearing. If you go with the single axle in the rear you could get the trailer tow package and possibly a 3.73 gear. That gear would be tough on the tranny but for only the occasional tower it might work and empty you would get much better mileage. If you go to a TTP dually you would get a 4.10 gear. It depends on how often you tow.
As far as the trailer there are a lot of them out there. Cardinal is a decent trailer. From my experience I would look for a 1 or 2 year old trailer and save about half the new cost. In this economy that should be fairly easy to find. Look at lots of them, take notes on your like and dislikes and put it all together. Go to RV sites and ask there too. You will get all sorts of opinions and help. Hope this helps.Ask if you need more............Bob C

Old 08-09-2006, 01:10 PM
FloridaF250
Senior User
I have an 06 F250 lariat and we are looking at RV's also. Every one that I have been to say that it is more than enough. 23,3 is what they tell me I can pull with no problem. Are they leading me astray? We are looking in the 31 - 34 ft 5th wheel area.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:06 PM
crock
Cross-Country
Florida, Don't believe anything a salesman says. You could be driving a wheelbarrow and they will tell you that a 30 fifth wheel is just right. Check your door post for weights. Of course I am talking a legal load. For instance I have a 32 foot Coachman( for Sale) that has a 14000 GVW. Final decision is always up to the buyer.Just be happy with your choice in all ways.............Bob C

Old 08-09-2006, 02:08 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you'll enjoy the Tow Boss, as well. The dually will give you much more stability, and the lower gearing (higher number) will help out getting that weight rolling and make it an easier drive.

Features... get everything you can afford to! Some good ones are power sliding rear window (if it's not power, it's rare that you'll use it it seems, as when you're driving along and decide you need it open, it's too far to reach... have to open it before you get going). Upfitter switches are great.

The Ford brake controller on the newer trucks (assuming you're getting a new one) is great. All the reading I've seen on it of testing shows that it performs better than various leading aftermarket units.

I've never seen a DVD player with screens in an F350, but I'm sure an aftermarket shop could install as much as you'd like without any problem.

Good luck!

PS - you're planning on a diesel, right?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Casey
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by crock
If you get the 350 get the tow-boss package, 23500 gcvw I believe.
The Tow Boss GCWR is 26,000 pounds.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:03 PM
GreenSalsa
New User
Talking

Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
you're planning on a diesel, right?
ABSOLUTELY

Old 08-09-2006, 03:20 PM
highboy390fe
Senior User
i agree with everyone here, also about the dvd system if you cant find one with it in there. A shop could put one in very easily for you or you could do it yourself.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:10 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if i were you, i would get a F-450. step up a class. much bigger brakes, better wheels and tires for towing, stiffer suspension and you can add air-ride rear shackles for better ride. if you want you can get a hauler body, or get a stock dually bed on the C&C.

with a GCVW over 25,999, you need a CDL license. we have that problem having a 19,000lb tagged f-550. can't tow a 7500 lb (tagged) trailer EMPTY because it's illegal. however with a 10,000 pound truck, we can haul a 15900 trailer because it's under 26000 total. your actual weight can be under the number, but if you are tagged for more than that it is illegal. stupid..

two of our newer trucks have the tow command system and yes, it is amazing. the tow-haul downshifting and the awesome controller gives you alot of confidence behind the wheel.