6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Anyones Torque Shift tranny fail using non SP ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:07 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Anyones Torque Shift tranny fail using non SP ATF?

I have 37,000 miles on my X and want to change the the ATF but not use the MERCON SP. Yeah, I know it is overdue. For the last 12 years I have used Royal Purple ATF in all of my vehicles, including my '95 Suburban 6.5L TD with the EL-80 electronic shift tranny, with great success. The Suburban had over 200,000 miles on the tranny, was never rebuilt and shifted like the day it was new. I contacted Royal Purple and they said there is no reason not to use their synthetic ATF in the Torque Shift.

So has anyones tranny failed, under normal wear and tear, or noticed performance improvements or degradation when using another ATF?

Any Torque Shift experts want to educate me before I make the change to Royal Purple.

DSMMH

Old 07-11-2006, 08:19 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well i recall my neon had the same requirements as far as fluid for my manual transmission. it was similar in texture to fords but the trannys were exploding around 100k miles with the dodge fluid. so i took a chance and put 75-90w gear oil in it and that was at 15k miles now the car has 104k miles, ford is going to tell you not to do it. its a personall risk. a rebuilt torqeshift is around 3k dollars.
I personally felt that dodge was trying to ensure that the tranny did not last with a inferior fluid but what do i know.

Last edited by raptor131; 07-11-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:33 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's one very good reason... Ford spent the time and money to engineer a completely new fluid for these transmissions. If they could've gotten away with using something already on the shelf (be it Royal Purple, a Mercon/Mercon V fluid, whatever), don't you think they would've done that, rather than spend millions of dollars rolling their own?

Raptor says a rebuilt torqshift is around $3K... that sounds a little low to me, and that's for a tranny in a crate. Then you've got to deal with installing it.

Mercon SP is, what, $5/qt., and you need 20 or so qts.? That's $100. The RP is probably going to cost you similar money, and you run the risk of spending $5K or so on a new tranny. Why? Mercon SP is already a full-synthetic.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing any logic here...

Old 07-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Fastest1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did run Dexron in a Suncoast tranny (5R110) that went south in 20000 miles as per SC's recommendations. However after replacing my second tranny in 56000 miles, I believe the culprit was a bad EPC solenoid which has been changed internally a few times since the tranny came out. Mine is working great right now for the first time and I have taken all chips/boxes out and a little hesitant though I did reinstall my SCT momentarily just to verify the tranny. It shifted incredibly smooth and quickly with no banging or delays. I still have a problem or two to resolve before increasing the power again.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:05 PM
02PSD4ME
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tvsjr
There's one very good reason... Ford spent the time and money to engineer a completely new fluid for these transmissions. If they could've gotten away with using something already on the shelf (be it Royal Purple, a Mercon/Mercon V fluid, whatever), don't you think they would've done that, rather than spend millions of dollars rolling their own?

Raptor says a rebuilt torqshift is around $3K... that sounds a little low to me, and that's for a tranny in a crate. Then you've got to deal with installing it.

Mercon SP is, what, $5/qt., and you need 20 or so qts.? That's $100. The RP is probably going to cost you similar money, and you run the risk of spending $5K or so on a new tranny. Why? Mercon SP is already a full-synthetic.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing any logic here...
I Agree 100%. Use fors stuff and if an when some else starts to sell it change than if you wish.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:06 PM
briancooper
Senior User
Synthetic

I've been using Amsoil Synthetic for 100,000 miles + with no adverse reactions. I changed the temp sensor at 25000 miles and replaced th same fluid because it looked new with only slight powder on the plug.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:33 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by briancooper
I've been using Amsoil Synthetic for 100,000 miles + with no adverse reactions. I changed the temp sensor at 25000 miles and replaced th same fluid because it looked new with only slight powder on the plug.
Except one extremely voided warranty...

Old 07-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Fastest1
Senior User
Originally Posted by tvsjr
Except one extremely voided warranty...
Warranty was over at 36000 on trannies. They are not considered drivetrain. That one still cracks me up!

Old 07-12-2006, 01:13 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fastest1
Warranty was over at 36000 on trannies. They are not considered drivetrain. That one still cracks me up!
You know, I was nice... I didn't make any comments about the effectiveness of Amsoil's products, despite my intense dislike of their company. I merely pointed out that it would void warranty...

Then, you decide to make your little snotty quip. And, you stumble into one of the fallacies of sweeping, overly-broad statements. See, my transmission warranty isn't out until 100K. I'd bet there are lots of people in here who have extended warranties based on some of the issues experienced with the 6.0 and the TorqShift. Maybe you didn't buy an extended warranty... but there's a pretty good chance (in fact, I'd say certainty) that someone reading this thread has an extended warranty. And, it might be important for them to consider the warranty implications before dumping a questionable lubricant into their $5K transmission.

What is it with you Amsoil people? You take your alliance to their products so personally that you make crappy comments whenever you sense even the possibility that someone is criticizing your precious oils and fluids.

Hopefully the mods will let this stay... I'm really curious to see the answer.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:42 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by briancooper
Brian......thanks for your answer. That is the kind of data I'm looking for and not the Amsoil pissing contest. What kind of truck do you have and how do you use it? Day driver, work truck, tow a lot, etc.?

DSMMH

Old 07-12-2006, 08:09 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Pissing contest" aside, even Amsoil does not recommend using their synthetic ATF in place of Mercon SP. If Amsoil says not to use it, you can bet that there's a reason and it's probably best not to use it.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:22 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
tvsjr brings up an important point in regards to extended warranties as does Envirocon's notice that even Amsoil does not recommend their product to replace Mercon SP.

With that said.... Especially when involved with Amsoil discussions...All you get in a pi$$ing contest is wet boots. I ain't gonna let you guys get my boots wet. So...let's make sure we keep it civil.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Customz
Postmaster
I know, but what caused the general love/hate relationships for amsoil products? I think I got here late and missed all the heated discussions?

I would run ford's Mercon SP until someone else comes out with an SP spec ATF. And then I would still run Ford's Mercon SP.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:48 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Sidebar on this one Keith.........

Customz....Amsoil uses some, lets just say questionable marketing tactics. (kinda like Enrons creativity if you will) Many of their products are not API certified. Therefore will void your warrenty if the non certified ones are used and a failure occurs.

Sidebar #2 Keith.......... I know the full entire and complete Moss/Magnusun act, and the bottom line is this, Ford don't fix half of what they should under warranty with out bullets, give them some and see how much they do for you.

Anyway back to the original point they (amsoil) feel that they sell such a superior product that it would be a waste to spend money on testing and certifying all of their products. There in lies the problem. Creative wording or marketing. They say that testing would only further add to the cost of their products, and by not testing them they can pass the savings on to you. Problem is there are better synthetics (and conventionals as well) out there for far less money.

Anyone here in the 6.0 that wants a great lubrication education, or just som elube help in general. Please visit the lubrication section. Talk to GasHog390 and Flash, they will not steer you wrong. They truely are the lubricant nerds, and possibly can or can get any answer you may be looking for.

Pretty civil eh Keith?
Ryan

Old 07-12-2006, 07:00 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, not bad for a skinny Louisiana boy.

But as a side bar to your side bar... people misinterpret the M/M act and often place to much weight on their side of the scales of justice.

But hey...that's .....If anyone really wants to get into it, I suggest a search right here in the 6.0 forum . Or for a discussion / debate start a new thread in the NON-Automotive forum.

There. That oughta keep my boots dry for a while longer.

Quick Reply: Anyones Torque Shift tranny fail using non SP ATF?